• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
!!SPOILER ALERT!!

Just something I thought about Miraak...

Was anyone else disappointed about Miraak's equipment? I sure was. Especially his mask. Come on, he was supposed to be this very powerful dragonborn dragon priest, I was expecting his mask to reduce shout cooldown or something else really awesome. You can probably relate to my disappointment when I saw it. Fortify magicka +70? Weak! I can craft a better headgear anytime.

I mean, the other dragon priest masks were all unique in that you couldn't craft an equivalent or better. I was soooo hoping for it to have reduce shout cooldown by 30% or, you know, something you cannot recreate with enchanting like the other masks...

Anyway, in order to sound less negative, I say the fight against Miraak was quite awesome. After my disappoinments when fighting Alduin and Harkon, I think Miraak was actually interesting to fight. Just like I said, his gear was disappointing to say the least.

Otherwise, I'm really loving Dragonborn so far. Share your thoughts.

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
Yeah I thought it was pretty bad, as I was a complete Warrior class...

zane

I didn't like the mask's effects, but I liked the robe and armor =o
I am a SpellSword build playing on expert, but I have to say being able to take dragon attacks a lot better now, I'm happy xD - I'm also digging the tentacle explosion :D

His sword was weak =/ like really weak... the only thing I like about it is the design, and the cool tendril whip animation :D

What I plan to do is making it super powerful using the exploit for high smithing and enchanting - but within reason. I dont want to one hit anything, but I want it to be around if not a bit higher than my deadric weapons.

Sarcron

Yeah the gear was pretty much all terrible. If you have are at all good with enchanting you can make better, more effective enchantments, and if you have double enchanting, you already pretty much dominate such equipment. "Oh yay! Absorb some fire damage from dragons!"...or, you know, you could put on a resist fire enchantment/resist magic enchantment? +70 magic on the mask? There's already a dragon priest mask to match that.

Just seems like they got lazy with Miraak's gear. At the very least I would have liked some unique effects that I could disenchant from and apply to other gear, but they couldn't even do that. I just put it in a chest along with the other 95% of quest boss items that stopped being useful to me after level 50.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Fortify magicka +70? Weak!
+70? I only got +50! I guess the enchantments are level-specific. Not that it matters since I won't be using the mask anyway.

What bothers me the most about Miraak's gear is that none of it goes together. The mask is heavy armor, the gloves and boots are light armor, and the robes are clothes! No matter what build you play, wearing this full set of gear will weaken you considerably (unless you do mix your armor types, which I don't think is very common). Thanks to that, it's pretty useless.

I say the fight against Miraak was quite awesome. After my disappoinments when fighting Alduin and Harkon, I think Miraak was actually interesting to fight. Just like I said, his gear was disappointing to say the least.
100% agreed. Most epic final battle ever. Three dragons and a Dragonborn Dragon Priest who healed himself by killing off the dragons one by one, until Hermaeus Mora himself stepped in to end it. Oh yeah, and this was all happening in what has to be the creepiest plane of Oblivion. SO EPIC. It took me at least ten tries before I figured out a good strategy to defeat him, which included several invisibility potions and a lot of hiding!

CaptMorgan72

I also have to throw my hat in the ring and agree the gear is pretty disappointing. It looks pretty cool, but yeah, stat wise its disappointing. I have to check my difficulty level now, I suspect its on easy or something. I didn't find Miraak all that challenging. We exchanged dragon shouts, spells and even crossed blades but I never felt like he was dominating me or I was in danger of losing. My character is a mage, level 32 (archmage actually) and a master of destruction and restoration. When Miraak landed some damaging spells or cuts, I just healed to full health again, almost instantly. When my magic depleted I switched to one of my staves(Staff of Magnus and Staff of Jyrik Gauldurson) until my magic regenerated. He seemed like a even match for me as we both dealt massive damage and healed ourselves similarly. Finally the old man stepped in and did his thing to Miraak. If anything, I felt like I had finally fought an opponent who was my equal.

Dragontom1

I had mixed feelings.

I found the armor to look kickass, and Tentacle Explosion is both visually satisfying and does descent damage, but as it is a "chance on hit" thing, it's only really practical if you intend to get up close and personal with enemies in melee combat - spell casters and archers would not be able to make practical use of this power.

Really, they could done any number of things - as with other items in this DLC, it could have given you the ability to use unique spells (perhaps a Tentacle-Explosion blast?) or, more obviously, decrease shout cooldown and/or increase shout effectiveness. Bonuses for mages makes sense, as the Dragon Priests were mages anyway, and a big part of Miraak seems to be making a deal with a being who seeks and collects knowledge.

Most of Miraak's stuff seems to be mostly eye candy - amazing and fun to look at, but lacking in actual power. Really, it seems the only thing that serves practical use is that sword that when you power-swing, it throws energy blasts.

I feel kinda let down. Bethesda had space to do something really amazing here, really creative, and they kinda squandered it.

Bethesda needs to make more proper mage gear - boosts magical power (preferably in ways that cannot be achieved through enchanting/smithing) maybe gives access to unique abilities, and, of course, robes. A mage in a big suit of armor hardly feels like a mage at all. (Maybe light armor, but it should still have a robe-like appearance, I say.)

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
The Robes, Gloves and Boots has quite a unique idea that makes it easier for to fight dragons (unless you've reduced magicka cost enchantment) but the mask could have been so much better. I'd fought 'Dukaan' prior to Miraak, so I thought the same concept as Dukaan's mask would apply to Miraak's, so an increase in shout damage and reduced cooldown for example. It just feels like Bethesda fluffed a mask that had such promise.

The fight with Miraak was definitely most fun, but it could've been extended. A riding-dragon air combat scenario could've really made that battle worthwhile, but it was still a fun battle.

Dawnseeker

The sword has 16 base damage (highest in game) and is extremely light. Absorb stamina is also a good enchantment, since it gives you unlimited power attacks without always having to make veggie stew. Seems pretty good to me. The robes are an enigma, as they give 25% magic absorb, but count as armor... And unimprovable armor at that. The mask is a big disappointment, though, I have to agree. Basically a Mage's Circlet with an armor rating and a longer list of requirements to get.

!!SPOILER ALERT!!

Just something I thought about Miraak...

Was anyone else disappointed about Miraak's equipment? I sure was. Especially his mask. Come on, he was supposed to be this very powerful dragonborn dragon priest, I was expecting his mask to reduce shout cooldown or something else really awesome. You can probably relate to my disappointment when I saw it. Fortify magicka +70? Weak! I can craft a better headgear anytime.

I mean, the other dragon priest masks were all unique in that you couldn't craft an equivalent or better. I was soooo hoping for it to have reduce shout cooldown by 30% or, you know, something you cannot recreate with enchanting like the other masks...

Anyway, in order to sound less negative, I say the fight against Miraak was quite awesome. After my disappoinments when fighting Alduin and Harkon, I think Miraak was actually interesting to fight. Just like I said, his gear was disappointing to say the least.

Otherwise, I'm really loving Dragonborn so far. Share your thoughts.

Eh, I wasn't so much as dissapointed with his gear as I was with his character. He was supposed to an all powerful dragonborn, I thought they were going to expand a little on his past and what not, but all Bethesda gave us was that he got his powers from a daedric prince. In content, Dragonborn outdid Dawnguard, but story telling-wise Dawnguard left Dragonborn in the dust. I was really disapointed in the way they told the story. I felt like it was more about Hermaous Mora than Miirak, wh owas supposed to be the main character of the DLC.

The Robes, Gloves and Boots has quite a unique idea that makes it easier for to fight dragons (unless you've reduced magicka cost enchantment) but the mask could have been so much better. I'd fought 'Dukaan' prior to Miraak, so I thought the same concept as Dukaan's mask would apply to Miraak's, so an increase in shout damage and reduced cooldown for example. It just feels like Bethesda fluffed a mask that had such promise.

The fight with Miraak was definitely most fun, but it could've been extended. A riding-dragon air combat scenario could've really made that battle worthwhile, but it was still a fun battle.
Or maybe better dragon riding capabilities...

I think the dragons where always threatned by miraak so they gave him bad armor and a bad mask because they dident want to increase his power to much.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Yeah, Bethesda punted on his helm and sword enchantments.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I think the dragons where always threatned by miraak so they gave him bad armor and a bad mask because they dident want to increase his power to much.

That worked out well for them... *looks at the skeletons littered around Miraak Temple* =P

Ivory

Let's Player
I loved the battle, it was the best boss battle in the game without distraction. Harkon was okay to fight but annoying when you had to fight off the minions. Harkon couldn't take you on alone while Miraak was more then enough. That said, yes, his gear's enchantments suck in my opinion. I'm curious if its leveled entirely or if its just the mask.

That worked out well for them... *looks at the skeletons littered around Miraak Temple* =P
They still beat him though.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
They still beat him though.

They ganged up on him. Even a PC dohvakiin would have a hard time with more than four dragons, but Miraak killed 10 or so when they were attacking his temple, he crazy!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts