• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So this all started a few hours ago (Six to be exact) when I finally reached the end of the DLC, my fight with Miraak.

Everything was going fine, until he teleported to the center pool, and stayed there while in ethereal mode. When the dragons died, I absorbed their souls.

At first I figured "Alright this a glitch so I'll search online for a solution"..And to my delight, NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS..Well, people have made suggestions, but none of them have worked.

First I tried to kill him slowly, using my fists to punch him every now and then. Then again, when he got to a certain amount of health, he went into the center pool, killed the dragon, I absorbed the soul and he didn't heal..

I reloaded my game more times then I could count, and still he glitches, I absorb the dragon souls, same crap. Can someone help me? Or am I pretty much stuck until Bethesda comes out with a patch DD:

Pharaun159

reload. Also are you doing any damage to the dragons? if you hit them you absorb the soul. I had it happen once

DivinerSage

reload. Also are you doing any damage to the dragons? if you hit them you absorb the soul. I had it happen once

Not true I have tried doing this every which way possible, and I certainly didnt deal the dragons any damage but I still absorbe the souls.

Saozig

Hippy
He's suppose to absorb the dragon souls and replenish himself--that ends his ethereal state so you can hit him until he goes ethereal again. You do that until he weakens enough for, well...what happens next

All I can suggest is like with my Gardener of Men glitch: go back and reload before that quest starts, i.e. finish the end of the previous quest again, and see if re-starting the quest fixes it.

Lanox89

same here...i have it for the xbox and miraak goes into etheral form and stays that way. However the difference is that he does absorb the souls yet he still stays in etheral form..i havent tried damaging him slowly though. so maybe ill give that a go since he is absorbing the souls.

Kaunas

I'm playing on XBox. I was having exactly the same issue. The last thing I tried was as each dragon lands that Miraak absorbs the soul from, I took a swipe at it with my sword and stood in the flow of the soul to Miraak. I don't know which action it was (probably location), but it worked. Every time, he stepped back out of the center pool...

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Thankfully I had no glitches with mine. He was rather easy to kill. He got stuck in ethereal mode once before teleporting to the pool, but snapped out of it after a few seconds.

FatesDawn

Hey, just thought id put this out there for an alternative to reloading/uninstalling-reinstalling fixes...anyway when Miraak goes etheral glitchy simply go out towards the outer edges of the summit, sneak (find a structure to hide behind) and wait till the eye closes and says hidden (wait a bit to be safe), this should bring Miraak out of combat mode, i fired off an arrow just to see if i can hit him and it worked. Hope this helps...

Alaeon

I was having the exact same glitch where I would absorb the soul instead of him, but FatesDawn's solution worked for me. After you get him below a certain amount of health and he turns invincible, kills the dragon, you get the soul, he freezes, blah blah blah, go to the outside of the platform and sneak until you become hidden. Stay hidden for awhile, and you'll notice he starts to regenerate his health. After about five minutes he should have his health back and you can hit him again. He will do the same thing again, so just repeat the above steps until he kills all of his dragons and ultimately dies. Hope this helps :)

jaredb

trying the hiding method now, god damn bethusda sucks sometime...

jaredb

nope not working for me. what a sham!

jaredb

tried uninstalling, reinstalling, hiding, punching to death nothing worrks. I Literally can not finish the dragon-born dlc, that's a total rip off from bethusda!

JacobMarley1075

I appreciate the community effort to assist in fixing this bug but the bottom line is that there are indeed two separate glitches going on, and that fact should be understood before wasting any time trying to bypass the bug.
Firstly I’m really , really disappointed in Bethesda for not even acknowledging the bug/glitch in the Miraak boss battle on their support or community forums. That is the most basic form of customer / public relations. People spent good money on this game and then spent real-life hours only to reach what could be an insurmountable glitch without a Bethesda patch.
As many of the other threads around the web note, the worst of the two glitches occurs when you install the DLC before installing the most recent skyrim patch. The order of the installation actually matters. Installing the DLC and THEN patching the game with the most recent patch actually breaks those boss scripts. The clearest indicator of this was that you probably weren’t able to find the boat after you first installed the DLC until you patched the game. Most likely you spent a while searching the docks and waiting to be visited by the cultists etc…Remember that? When this didn’t happen that’s when you most likely patched your game. If this scenario sounds familiar you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO KILL Miraak no matter what you do. Smaller weapons, killing/not killing dragons, invulning, insta-blinking him- none of this matters. What will happen repeatedly is that you will absorb the dragons souls instead of Miraak , causing him to keep invluning. I even tried to do the hide trick (if you hide long enough he’ll exit his invlun stage) but it doesn’t matter either- because he’ll keep going back into invuln every time you attempt to kill him. He HAS to absorb the dragon souls or the boss battle cannot end.
The other scenario is that you DID install the patch before the DLC. In this case your glitch is less serious. You can just dicker around with highly nerfed attacks until he dies. It’ll take longer , just watch how hard you hit him.
That’s it. Basically scenario 1 folks are going to have to wait for a patch or alternately UNINSTALL the whole DLC and start from scratch from the beginning of the DLC. I’m not willing to do that. I’m hoping people will give Bethesda hell until they release a statement. And that’s really all they’d have to do to help their customers out is give them an idea of when there will be a patch and let us know they’re actually working on one. I’m really appalled that they haven’t done this small thing… really- how hard is that?

KattSand

Premium Member
I guessing that Bethesda is aware of this major glitch by now, and I'm thinking there's going to be a patch shortly after the PC release, I suppose you could say that we're like beta testers when we're getting the dlc:s earlier for xbox :p It has taken longer than expected for dragonborn to be released for PC and ps3 for that matter, and I'm pretty sure that has to do with the numerous bugs that came with the xbox release, bugs and glitches that needed to be fixed before releasing it for the other platforms. So I'm pretty sure a patch is on the way.

I actually gave up and stopped playing the xbox version because it just got buggier for every time I played. I'm now waiting for the PC version and hoping that it will be better.

JacobMarley1075

Today I received a reply from Bethesda Support (I e-mailed them about their glitch):

"We're definitely aware of the glitch, and we haven't denied the issue at all. The issue that you are experiencing is a known issue and we are working diligently to fix it in upcoming patches. Unfortunately at this time we do not have an ETA on when the next patch will be deployed. Aside from loading a previous save file prior to reaching that point in the quest and trying again (which we understand doesn't always work in the case of this particular bug), the best thing to do at this point would be to keep an eye on our forums, as this is the best source of information for emerging issues and patch information."

jaredb

I appreciate the community effort to assist in fixing this bug but the bottom line is that there are indeed two separate glitches going on, and that fact should be understood before wasting any time trying to bypass the bug.
Firstly I’m really , really disappointed in Bethesda for not even acknowledging the bug/glitch in the Miraak boss battle on their support or community forums. That is the most basic form of customer / public relations. People spent good money on this game and then spent real-life hours only to reach what could be an insurmountable glitch without a Bethesda patch.
As many of the other threads around the web note, the worst of the two glitches occurs when you install the DLC before installing the most recent skyrim patch. The order of the installation actually matters. Installing the DLC and THEN patching the game with the most recent patch actually breaks those boss scripts. The clearest indicator of this was that you probably weren’t able to find the boat after you first installed the DLC until you patched the game. Most likely you spent a while searching the docks and waiting to be visited by the cultists etc…Remember that? When this didn’t happen that’s when you most likely patched your game. If this scenario sounds familiar you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO KILL Miraak no matter what you do. Smaller weapons, killing/not killing dragons, invulning, insta-blinking him- none of this matters. What will happen repeatedly is that you will absorb the dragons souls instead of Miraak , causing him to keep invluning. I even tried to do the hide trick (if you hide long enough he’ll exit his invlun stage) but it doesn’t matter either- because he’ll keep going back into invuln every time you attempt to kill him. He HAS to absorb the dragon souls or the boss battle cannot end.
The other scenario is that you DID install the patch before the DLC. In this case your glitch is less serious. You can just dicker around with highly nerfed attacks until he dies. It’ll take longer , just watch how hard you hit him.
That’s it. Basically scenario 1 folks are going to have to wait for a patch or alternately UNINSTALL the whole DLC and start from scratch from the beginning of the DLC. I’m not willing to do that. I’m hoping people will give Bethesda hell until they release a statement. And that’s really all they’d have to do to help their customers out is give them an idea of when there will be a patch and let us know they’re actually working on one. I’m really appalled that they haven’t done this small thing… really- how hard is that?

Thank you for the genuinely informative reply, the first I've read anywhere regarding this glitch. I'm an xbox player & yes scenario one is familiar to me. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for TU 10 on xbox before i can complete this dlc. Which means the experience is kind of ruined for me, because I've put over 20 hours into this storyline and now have to wait a undetermined amount of months before i can finish the last few minutes of quest-line & any potential rewards (cant reset my perks, fight ebony warrior ect)......

I had the same problem this weekend, it was driving me mad. I fixed it by staying on my dragon and locking on an killing both dragons before I landed to fight Miraak. I only had to take his health bar down once, he ran to the center and the fight progressed as its suppose to (don't want to spoil what happens).

Rhubarb&Custard

Does his body drop anywhere after what happens to him? I looked all over when I finished, but I couldn't find his body. Maybe I wasn't looking close enough.:confused: Sorry to intrude on your thread:oops:, I just want to know if his body actually DOES stay there, or he's an ashpile or what.

I'm pretty sure it's a body as he isn't a vampire. But after Herma-Mora killed him with the tentacles his remains were there in the center for me to loot. His gear looks cool, but of course, is already enchanted, therefore useless :\ Although, his weapons were pretty cool.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts