Microsoft, Taking over the Gaming/PC world! EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Micro$oft is a BITCH!

Check this piece of work out :mad:

Full article here New Microsoft rules prohibit users from profiting on created content - GameSpot.com

So let me get this straight. Microsoft is prohibiting the people that completely rely on Youtube and other sites for their income from getting money from playing their games? I know that it's a select few games right now but still, come on.

Not to mention the fact that countless people watch said Youtube Partners' videos of a game that they had heard of but not seen, or haven't heard of at all. They like it, and buy it. In this case, the Youtube Partner gets far less than the game developer does.

tumblr_ma7widSnai1qzwelr.gif

Well done, Microsoft.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Dude, I've been using Windows 8 ever since the beta, and I'm planning on buying it, it doesn't require every file to by run IOS, becaus that is Apple's operating system for their handhelds, and I'm also pretty sure companies like Battlenet and Arenanet and Valve, specially Valve have ways of switching game file types if the previous statement was true, which it's not. xBox Live will probably never, ever be free, do you have any idea how much money they make off of that? Even if the streaming option would be highly unrealistic as currently wireless technologies aren't really up to snuff unless you're dishing out the hundreds of dollars for FIO's ultimate which is extremely unlikely. Plus in this day and age people don't want a "wired" connection (even if it's better, which it usually is if you're use CAT5e or CAT6 cables.) Do you have any idea how expensive Terrabyte drives are? If you're going the cheap route, about $100 per drive, and they're not exactly tiny either (not massive, but definitely larger than 160GB drives xBox slim's are currently shipping with (the higher end ones anyways).

That is just a short argument to the original post, I don't really want to turn this thread into an all out war or anything.

Windows 8 = Nintendo.

'Nuff said.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
So let me get this straight. Microsoft is prohibiting the people that completely rely on Youtube and other sites for their income from getting money from playing their games? I know that it's a select few games right now but still, come on.

Not to mention the fact that countless people watch said Youtube Partners' videos of a game that they had heard of but not seen, or haven't heard of at all. They like it, and buy it. In this case, the Youtube Partner gets far less than the game developer does.

tumblr_ma7widSnai1qzwelr.gif

Well done, Microsoft.

Exactly. There's been many times I've watched a Let's Play or a Walkthrough of a game I didn't own. If I liked what I saw, then I purchased the game. It's actually doing more good than harm for Microsoft and developers.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Streaming games is going to suck for a lot of people. I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but here in Alaska our internet is severely capped, and it's very easy to hit a $400 internet bill on 15meg just downloading two games and watching some netflix.

Streaming games would be like a never ending stream, the kind of bandwidth that would take up would be unreal, and would make playing it completely unfeasible.

Also, if Games for Windows Live is a measuring stick for the quality of microsoft's gaming business, I'll pass. GFWL is a horrible service that is nothing but a huge pain in the neck.

The truth is that NO ONE should soley dominate a given medium, because losing variety loses competition, and when there's no competition the consumer loses.

Microsoft is going to be a lot more worried about dominating consoles long before they start worrying about dominating the PC platform anyway, there's just a lot more money in it.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Streaming games is going to suck for a lot of people. I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but here in Alaska our internet is severely capped, and it's very easy to hit a $400 internet bill on 15meg just downloading two games and watching some netflix.

Streaming games would be like a never ending stream, the kind of bandwidth that would take up would be unreal, and would make playing it completely unfeasible.

Also, if Games for Windows Live is a measuring stick for the quality of microsoft's gaming business, I'll pass. GFWL is a horrible service that is nothing but a huge pain in the neck.

The truth is that NO ONE should soley dominate a given medium, because losing variety loses competition, and when there's no competition the consumer loses.

Microsoft is going to be a lot more worried about dominating consoles long before they start worrying about dominating the PC platform anyway, there's just a lot more money in it.
Its not just dominating pc and consoles but every other electronic devices you use as in cell phones and tablets, there's a reason everything is running together with Windows 8 so it will be easier to update what needs updating and easier access over everything through all your devices, they want to give people a reason to buy Windows 8, the surface, Windows phone and the xbox 360/720 they want you to buy all their products so you don't have to do play on just xbox or pc but on every device you own and all your devices will interact with each other as well. It's a good strategy if you think about it, then everyone will want to buy everything Microsoft.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Its not just dominating pc and consoles but every other electronic devices you use as in cell phones and tablets, there's a reason everything is running together with Windows 8 so it will be easier to update what needs updating and easier access over everything through all your devices, they want to give people a reason to buy Windows 8, the surface, Windows phone and the xbox 360/720 they want you to buy all their products so you don't have to do play on just xbox or pc but on every device you own and all your devices will interact with each other as well. It's a good strategy if you think about it, then everyone will want to buy everything Microsoft.

This has basically been their goal all along for years, this is pretty much Apple's goal as well. What we see now is the result of their efforts to do exactly what you are describing.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
I predict that they won't announce it until xbox 720 comes out, you can get the best graphics and the best refreshment rate if nothing holding it back with streaming games unless you have bad internet, or limited downloads, but with their users rate and everything i don't think they care for disks anymore especially if it will make the games cheaper by cutting out the middle man, so we'll just have to sit and wait

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I predict that they won't announce it until xbox 720 comes out, you can get the best graphics and the best refreshment rate if nothing holding it back with streaming games unless you have bad internet, or limited downloads, but with their users rate and everything i don't think they care for disks anymore especially if it will make the games cheaper by cutting out the middle man, so we'll just have to sit and wait

Or once this service comes out, ISPs will all want to jam caps on internet just like 90% of them did a few years ago when streaming movies became widely known.

I'm sorry to be a negative nancy, but all streaming your games does is put your games beyond your reach and in the control of other people, who will find ways to make more money off of it. Streaming anything is notorious for costing much more than it should, and I guarantee you that if streaming games becomes the "next big thing" that gaming in general will become a much, much more expensive hobby than it already is.

To make matters worse, consoles have been in trouble for a while now, with all kinds of budgeting problems destroying smaller developers left and right, even when they sell a million copies of their fully priced game and even when that game is a hit and is great they are still going out of business.

Gaming in its current trend on consoles is simply costing far, far too much to operate.

It costs over $100,000 per day just to run the 7+ year old World of Warcraft servers, and those just transmit coordinate data at 1.5 megs per second. The amount of money it would require to efficiently operate an entire medium on streaming servers would cost a fortune, even for microsoft (who can't be bothered to fix or even efficiently operate their current gaming systems in a reasonable manner).

Either the games would cost a boatload, or there'd be some kind of steep subscription fee, and at any time they could simply take away your service, and the "always online DRM" that everyone raged about on Assassin's Creed 2? The same kind of DRM that had Blizzard Entertainment threatened with legal mass refunds to ALL OF FRANCE, GERMANY, AND SOUTH KOREA is what would be required to make this service operate.

There's just no way it's going to work in the foreseeable future.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!

Only have one choice in a market is never a good thing. For the longest time in my area the only cable provider was Comcast. Because they were the only provider, they could get away with charging whatever they wanted, and the service was pure plops.

However, once Verizon started providing the same service at a cheaper rate and it was better quality, Comcast was finally forced to step up their game if they wanted to keep customers. Competition is good. It's a good thing that there are 3 console developers out there. Consoles and the games are expensive already, I'd hate to think how much they'd be with only one company behind the wheel.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Well you have to remember with all their so called "apps" like netflix, July and everything they all has to pay basically rent just to be on Windows 8, xbox and everything. Plus I would say they'll give you the option to stream or download your games i was just saying streaming would be for other devices like tablet and phones so you can play as you got type style. It's just an easier way to do everything like onlive. They ask for either $10 a month or buy the games or rent for a week. I don't know how the whole process will work with console games but like I said its a sit and wait

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Well you have to remember with all their so called "apps" like netflix, July and everything they all has to pay basically rent just to be on Windows 8, xbox and everything. Plus I would say they'll give you the option to stream or download your games i was just saying streaming would be for other devices like tablet and phones so you can play as you got type style. It's just an easier way to do everything like onlive. They ask for either $10 a month or buy the games or rent for a week. I don't know how the whole process will work with console games but like I said its a sit and wait

With the reputation of streaming games, we'll have to remain skeptical for now. I doubt it will be any different of a problem for other devices, which are even more severely limited in data transfer and scale much worse when it comes to overages, and pretty much the biggest service providers for phones and tablets have very shallow caps on their data usage, so I am even more skeptical of that.

I don't know enough about the profit margin on services like netflix, but I can imagine it probably isn't very much. The budgeting problem will escalate to the nth degree if the profit margin isn't high enough on such a service to support the ridiculous amounts of money developers are spending on AAA games that sell well, make millions, and still aren't enough to break even and their developers goes to the toilet (I'm looking at you Prototype 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur).

The solution that publishers want to place on gamers is that they can't resell their games, and in order to do that they've just decided to stop selling you games in the first place. They are selling you the right to play a game.

It's all flowing together if you can see it, they are spending too much to make games that don't make enough and then charging too much so they aren't getting much back, now they want to spend much much more money to make much much less money, the math just doesn't add up.

Unless the gaming audience quintuples in size by the time their services is running, I seriously doubt they could scrape enough profit to maintain it, let alone grow it. The fact that entire other industries such as ISP's and phone servicers stand entirely in the way of their plan, and our entire culture is bent backwards against such a service, and the fact that such a service has been tried and failed before in a very spectacular fashion, there isn't much hope.

Of course there are people who say that it would be fantastic, but then there's the people who like to actually own the things they buy. With such a service, you would literally be giving them money for nothing.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Onlive is doing just fine with all their streaming games and everything, i dont think Microsoft will have a problem plus advertising and xbox live gold I don't think they ate worried about money plus all the strict rules over copyright and user stuff there's not gonna be alot illegal copying and everything, I'm just saying this may not happend for years and if onlive is making good money microsoft will as well and maybe more because more users mean more advertisements and its just a big stratagie, it may take a few years after microsoft introduce the xbox 720 but they will eventually will do it. Plus if they arent usimg disks anymore for the 720 like it was rumored from a bunch of companies like ign and everything then it would make sence that ghey might stream as well

Sean

lost somewhere
Windows 8 is just an upgrade from Windows 7.

Everything that can run in Win 7 can run in Win 8, and that is from first hand experience.
I have used Windows 8 (my friend bought it), and he uses Steam, and also has Skyrim (the same pirated one that I have) which was never in a .iso format.

Edit-
Just realized this topic was from late September
*facepalm*

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Plus within every streamed game they can also stream an ad if they want to as the game loads up, its just how they want to do everything and the timing on when they want to do it... We just have to be patient for a few years if they dont announce it when yhe xbox 720 comes out then it may not happen but I feel its a big possibility since they are trying to make all gheir devices run on windows 8

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Onlive is doing just fine with all their streaming games and everything, i dont think Microsoft will have a problem plus advertising and xbox live gold I don't think they ate worried about money plus all the strict rules over copyright and user stuff there's not gonna be alot illegal copying and everything, I'm just saying this may not happend for years and if onlive is making good money microsoft will as well and maybe more because more users mean more advertisements and its just a big stratagie, it may take a few years after microsoft introduce the xbox 720 but they will eventually will do it. Plus if they arent usimg disks anymore for the 720 like it was rumored from a bunch of companies like ign and everything then it would make sence that ghey might stream as well

OnLive Launches New Company to Avoid Bankruptcy | TIME.com

Onlive is barely surviving, and has been barely surviving for quite some time. The simple fact is that they didn't factor-in the price of constantly streaming into their equation, and so hardly anyone wants to use their service because it would be far, far too expensive to do so. If I watch a single 22 minute long episode of South Park on Netflix on my smart phone, and it's only running at 720p, and I go from a $60 data usage bill to a $100 bill just from that, just imagine the cost of trying to stream a 1080p game stream for any length of time at any regular interval. The cost would be very, very high unless you had unlimited internet, which is exceedingly uncommon these days, as 99% of "unlimited plans" are actually just capped internet with fees (unlimited for a price). The very idea of being able to pay for such a thing is completely absurd, your internet bill would be HUNDREDS of dollars every month.

So anywhere without uncapped internet (anywhere that isn't South Korea or a couple of dots on the eastern coast) can't use it, and anyone with uncapped internet that doesn't have speeds over 15 megs (most uncapped internets have no cap because they are not high speed) eliminates even more people. It leaves a very, very tiny percentage of people who have uncapped internet, an even smaller percentage of those who have uncapped high speed internet, an even smaller percentage of people who have both of those who are gamers, and an even smaller percentage of those who are PC gamers who are old enough to even use such a service often enough to warrant its presence.

It's a very tiny audience.

And plus advertising? Seriously? Do you really want to watch commercials just to play a video game? Aren't load times bad enough? Can you imagine just how awful it would be to try and play something like Assassin's Creed 3, and get slammed with commercials CONSTANTLY because they know you have to watch them to play their game? THAT WOULD SUCK.

Next thing about copyright, you don't really understand how that works. Rules simply don't work on pirates, no matter how effective you think your DRM is, they will break it every single time without fail. People make a living doing this. It's just part of the world. The reason however that companies lose so much money on games due to pirates is because pirates are offering a better deal than the publisher is. Let's weigh in what they'd be offering in this situation:

Microsoft: huge internet bill, latency, server downtime, subscription fee, commercials during gameplay, account freezes, no ownership of product, low res video (unless you want to pay thousands for streaming 1080p at all times)

Pirates: internet bill was a fart in the wind, real-time gameplay, free, no commercials, no account issues, the product can't be taken away from you, no server crashes or downtime

The choice is pretty obvious. All the microsoft version does is add irritating BS to deal with, and takes away from just playing the game.

Onlive is not making good money. They had to fire most of their employees without severance pay and dump their company to reform at the peak of their company's financial situation.

IGN is full of crap, and pretty much any gamer with two braincells knows it. Tell me why is it that every AAA game that comes out, no matter how awful, short, bland, or copy-paste it is gets a 9/10 on IGN? Because they are paid to do reviews, and have been for years. They do normal reviews as well, but anything that's AAA gets at least an 8.5/10 from IGN. As well they are incredibly inconsistent and basically a parasite on the gamer culture that's brainwashing idiots into buying shovelware and it needs to stop. IGN is not a good source of information, especially rumors.

The problem with the console gaming scene right now is that it's in uncharted territory where no one knows what to do, so everyone is trying to come up with a plan. When the last console cycle started, everyone said that the Xbox360 and the PS3 were the future, but all they really were were their predecessors with bigger hardrives, better graphics, and entertainment junk that had nothing to do with video games, with a massive pricetag. The only real game console was the Wii, which was much cheaper, without the frosting, and was the only one trying to innovate in the industry.

Halfway through Sony and Microsoft saw that the Wii was destroying the sales charts and gamers were onto their scene, because their consoles added almost nothing to the industry but better graphics. After that they started trying to imitate the Wii in various ways, and now that its been proven that only innovation in some spectacular manner will keep the console wars going, they are experimenting with radical new ideas.

However, creating massive money sinks is not lucrative to the industry whatsoever. I don't care if they created a magic crystal ball that could play Xbox9000 games everytime I tapped by heels together; its still the same system, same game features, better graphcis and bigger harddrives add NOTHING to the industry, and trying to make games more accessible than they already are (because its SO HARD to buy a box from best buy, attach 2 cords and done) still adds exactly nothing to the industry besides a new billing plan.

Consumers have been onto this over the last 4 years in gaming, and this is why the entire console market has plummeted off a cliff. Sales are down, development is down, investors are not jumping up and down like they were during the entire last console cycle.

I can't even begin to state just how many lines this crosses for people, always-on DRM, non-ownership, huge bills, internet requirements for singleplayer games, high-speed internet for singleplayer games, the inability to resell their games, unable to buy used games, being forced to watch commercials even after subscribing to a service (because the service wouldn't be able to maintain itself without ads) the list goes on and on, but I can make a list of incidents where publishers hit massive mudcrab storms for trying each and every one of those things, all of which failed miserably and were regretted and even APOLOGIZED FOR by publishers.

TL;DR, this is probably the worst idea in gaming history in the last decade.

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Thats the reason why they will go after consumers with unlimited data plans on phones or devices and make people use their WiFi, exactly the reason why the Microsoft smarglass is a LAN connection because its easier then soon what the Wii u is doing with Bluetooth, they want to Target people who has constant internet and data plans, the same reason now they are streaming music and movies for people who has constant internet and for people who don't you can just download your movies but the new xbox music is streaming only and the service is $100 a year, they want an easy way to get everything ghrough every device then just your xbox, thats the reason why they made Windows 8 to connect all the devices together, i never really cared for onlive and that why I never did anything for it, its just RUMORED that they been hiring fired staffs from onlive so if its true they may go with the streaming, if they try to make all the data plans with Sprint to make everything unlimited it might temp people to buy all their devices, andwith all techies and people who wants to game everywhere they may do something that something did with their psp vita and make their devices 3G capability. Why is everyone trying to fight me on this? It may not happend for YEARS!! It's just my own buisness strategy I would use if I was Microsoft, they make a billion dollars on xbox live gold alone I dont know how much they can get on ads alone

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
I have re edited everything i have wrote and now it doesnt sound as crazy as before, i wanted to do this for awhile and now i have so feel free to read my new info and enjoy :D

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
Valve is releasing a console, that will tide over any urge I have to play on a console. :p But still I have I have an AMD Radeon in the 7000 series, if microsoft decides to use a graphics card from that series, the console will be able to run current, and many future games (for about a year or 2) at high or medium graphics settings. As to the the idea of the xBox 720 having an infinite life cycle, that's not something you can plan, the NEs and SNEs systems are still being played to do (they're not being made, and they aren't sold in a majority of stores) because people have memories playing games on those systems, they don't have an infinite life cycle, people just still play them, like a good majority of people with their old consoles. Only reason the orginal xBox isn't played any more, is because a good majority of the games that could be played on the xbox, could still be played on the 360. No console has an infinite cycle, but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy them years later(like people playing NES or SNES) it's all up to the people.

BTW it was a generally nicely done edit, and thanks for including the links of where you get the info!

Hotty Squirrel

GENOCIDE JUNKIE!
Valve is releasing a console, that will tide over any urge I have to play on a console. :p But still I have I have an AMD Radeon in the 7000 series, if microsoft decides to use a graphics card from that series, the console will be able to run current, and many future games (for about a year or 2) at high or medium graphics settings. As to the the idea of the xBox 720 having an infinite life cycle, that's not something you can plan, the NEs and SNEs systems are still being played to do (they're not being made, and they aren't sold in a majority of stores) because people have memories playing games on those systems, they don't have an infinite life cycle, people just still play them, like a good majority of people with their old consoles. Only reason the orginal xBox isn't played any more, is because a good majority of the games that could be played on the xbox, could still be played on the 360. No console has an infinite cycle, but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy them years later(like people playing NES or SNES) it's all up to the people.

BTW it was a generally nicely done edit, and thanks for including the links of where you get the info!
Thanks for reading, i thought it needed a touch up and been thinking about it for the past 3 months, plus where did you read valve is releasing a console? Besides the link i posted i wanted to read more about it, i would love to have a console from valve thats running steam so i can play all my pc games on a console :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts