Merchant chests... Did Bethesda want us to find them?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Straumgald

Clearly not intended to be found. Its a glitch just like the million others in the game. Not saying I don't use it, but you could clearly just go chest to chest until you had millions of gold and never kill anything or level. Why would they want you to do that?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Of course all of them are meant to be found, if they weren't meant to be found then nobody would find them.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Okay going through the walls like that doesnt seem right.

The dawnstar chest is truly hidden and you have to know where to look to find it. I will use this chest but i dont think traveling through the walls is legit.

Did not know of this Whiterun barrell. Must go check.

The Whiterun Chest Glitch has been there since Day one, if Bethesda didn't want it to be accessed then the barrel you have to use to jump over the wall wouldn't be in the position it is in & there wouldn't be a chest under the Skyforge for you access AFTER you glitched through the WALL to get it.

Straumgald

Of course all of them are meant to be found, if they weren't meant to be found then nobody would find them.
I did find it rather odd that they can be so far from the merchants, why not just put them in solid rock? I guess you could use that logic to say all the glitches were meant to be found. Did they really want people duping armor, leveling to 81 in 30 mins with OI, etc?

Halkin

pzzzztt
i find the whole thing odd, fair enough the caravans have to have storage but it seems slack to leave them for players to find. one could argue again bet have dumbed it down

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I'm ok with using the Dawnstar chest, but if I have to go through a wall to get something then I feel like I'm using an exploit.

Straumgald

where exactly is this barrel in whiterun?
If you fast travel into Whiterun, go right from the gate and there will be a little room kind of, with a lone barrel in it. Jump from the barrel towards the Whiterun gate, you'll see the low wall you are trying to clear. I can take a ton of tries. Check it on youtube.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Yea...that barrel. First try, I managed to do it. Ever since then...it's been a bitch.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Yea...that barrel. First try, I managed to do it. Ever since then...it's been a bitch.

Yea, I know........lol.

I'm ok with using the Dawnstar chest, but if I have to go through a wall to get something then I feel like I'm using an exploit.

The Dawnstar Chest is just as much a glitch as the the Riften Chests & the Whiterun Chest.

I did find it rather odd that they can be so far from the merchants, why not just put them in solid rock? I guess you could use that logic to say all the glitches were meant to be found. Did they really want people duping armor, leveling to 81 in 30 mins with OI, etc?

Do you really think that Bethesda don't know about all the Glitches & Dupes ??

Naturally they have Guys & Gals reading Forums like this one to see what is happening in game.

How do you think they managed to fix all the problems that people were having ??

Seriously, if people think that all these Glitches are wrong then how about YOU make a Game or a Kickass Mod for this Game that has no Glitches & see just how many people will actually play it.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Glitches and exploits in a single player game shouldn't even matter. It's your experience. If you want to use glitches and such to help you, then so be it.

Now, on a Multiplayer game, it's a different story.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Glitches and exploits in a single player game shouldn't even matter. It's your experience. If you want to use glitches and such to help you, then so be it.

I totally agree.

This is very true: as long as people don't brag about how great they are, when they have achieved their status using glitches and/or PC console cheats.

Most glitches are not intended by the programmers: you can't always anticipate how players will think.
Many!! years ago I wrote a game that involved sailing galleons to find riches. One of the options was to throw stuff overboard, to limit the probability of sinking in a storm. One of my play-testers immediately sailed out of port: stopped and clicked 'throw items overboard', then clicked on 'jewels' and entered -500 boxes. The program obligingly hauled 500 boxes of jewels out of the ocean and placed them in the hold.
The point is that programmers generally expect players to act rationally within the scope of the game but can seldom anticipate all of the ways players will find to circumvent the process.
Bottom line for me: just because you *can* do something using the game mechanics doesn't mean it is appropriate to do so. Eventually, it is up to you: if you gain satisfaction winning by utilizing glitches or outright cheats, then that is your choice, no one else is harmed. On the other hand, don't brag that you reached the 100 level in a skill by abusing the possibilities; it doesn't impress anyone.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

If they weren't meant to be found then you wouldn't be able to access them now after 4 patches. I didn't know about this one & I've heard of the Dawnstar Chest but haven't tried it yet.

Yes you would, the reason is that you wouldn't know about them unless you were hardcore about the game and a forum member (us guys represent a minute fraction of Skyrim players). The reason they are there is testing, the testers can grab items quickly and easily (especially on consoles) without entering any codes. They have yet to be removed so technically it is a bug. I don't use exploits and would never have found one without looking into it on the web. The bug is therefor very minor and will probably be on the last of the bugs to fix even if they decide to. As for grinding, well that's not an exploit, that's investing your time for a positive result, I once chopped wood for 12 in-game hours because I needed the money, some people(like me) find that more rewarding than entering a console command, some don't. If you want to take advantage of them, go ahead, if (like me) you don't, don't. Not a big enough issue to worry about.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
I don't really see the point of it since money comes in abundant amounts in this game. But I suppose each to their own.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

This is very true: as long as people don't brag about how great they are, when they have achieved their status using glitches and/or PC console cheats.

Most glitches are not intended by the programmers: you can't always anticipate how players will think.
Many!! years ago I wrote a game that involved sailing galleons to find riches. One of the options was to throw stuff overboard, to limit the probability of sinking in a storm. One of my play-testers immediately sailed out of port: stopped and clicked 'throw items overboard', then clicked on 'jewels' and entered -500 boxes. The program obligingly hauled 500 boxes of jewels out of the ocean and placed them in the hold.
The point is that programmers generally expect players to act rationally within the scope of the game but can seldom anticipate all of the ways players will find to circumvent the process.
Bottom line for me: just because you *can* do something using the game mechanics doesn't mean it is appropriate to do so. Eventually, it is up to you: if you gain satisfaction winning by utilizing glitches or outright cheats, then that is your choice, no one else is harmed. On the other hand, don't brag that you reached the 100 level in a skill by abusing the possibilities; it doesn't impress anyone.

I totally agree with you about bragging rights, you wanna cheat? Go ahead but don't post about how awesome your non-legit character is. The issue you mentioned is actually tested in games, it's functionality testing known as "negative testing". The tester has to basically do everything against what the game expects them to do, it's actually quite difficult as sometimes you really have to think 'out of the box' but you always find many bugs with this method. The howler in Skyrim is the side quest in Solitude where if you have the talisman before taking the quest, you get no reward and the quest stays active. That should have been fixed early. But I tend not to go on about bugs in Skyrim too much purely because they have come on leaps and bounds since Fallout. Calling them on bugs is kinda like trolling Shakespeare for a typo.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts