Member of Winterhold yet CAN'T enter, door locked.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hey all
Im a destruction mage part way through the long ass winterhold quest in which you obtain the 3 books at fellglow keep. Well ive done that and thus have the quest "return the books" but sadly when i go to winterhold i require a key. I had this issue after i returned the second quest and left the college but i assumed it was something to do with the quest they gave me...it does not.

Yes im a member of the mage guild that cant enter...nor can the npcs...they just walk into the gate and then the walls...i can communicate with them but they cant enter either.

I killed one at one stage just as a test, i recieved no bounty and i got the quest to readmit myself...but sadly the guy i need to talk to is stuck in the depths of the saarthal which u can't get to the end of to speak to him because of the trap wall. Apon realising this i went back to my save before i killed the member of winterhold. Still cant get in (obviously), i have no bounty.

My only theory is that does the gate lock when a dragon attacks? at one stage i think one did but it...went away? i dont know why but yeh thats my only theory.

Any help would be appreciated as i cant get the better spells of finish these quests...as fast travel puts u in front of the gate.

I dont believe i can give you any more information then that.
1. im a member, i did the joining spell at the beggining.
2. ive talked to every member of the college so i am 100% sure im a member.
3. I have the quests for the college.
4. Theres a BIG OLD LOCKED DOOR BETWEEN ME AND MY QUEST COMPLETION!
Thank you for your time im aware this is a difficult issue.

Necromis

found this, about another glitch that doesn't let you get into the college and this is the work around for it. Walk to the very bottom fo the mountain the college is percheed upon, find a small cave in the wall which leads upwards to a door (you have to shuffle left and right up an almost vertical wall to get up to the door which does take a while) and then you enter the door and proceed upwards thru the bowels of the college to the college grounds themselves. Once you are inside you can open the college gates from the inside which will allow you to come and go as you please.

Most of this is paraphrased from the wiki but I couldn't get it to let me paste it. It is all accurate, though.

Necromis

yeah it is the solution on the glitch where you pass the test but she doesn't open the gate, so it should work for his issue where the gate is now locked again.

My thanks, I will test this immediately... being unable to access the college has been very ..annoying...to say the least.

Thank you again.

I found it...eventually. Will i be required to enter the college that way everytime? or is it possible to get the gate open from the inside with a key or some such?

Necromis

supposedly from that info above that I coppied you can open the gate from the inside when you have then you can enter/exit normally. Just make sure to open it prior to fast traveling outa there or you will have to do it again until you do open the gate from the inside.

Madnola

I am having the same issue. I can enter through the Midden Dark, but the door cannot be opened from the inside either. Is there any way to get a key for the door or open it up again? This is a major pain that I hope has a solution. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cube

same problem here.. and without solution... there's possible solution only for PC users by using the console and typing "unlock" command (object target command)...

friendly advice: do not open, if somebody is standing behind this gate.. Unfortunately, I've killed Ogmund that way. The gate bounced him right against the wall and from these times he is integrated right into this part of Skyrim.. (inspired by the movie Enemy at the Gates) It would be better for him to survive this gate attack - he could be then my personal word wall :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts