• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Divinity

Has anyone tried a build like this that mainly focuses on poisons? Is alchemy good enough to make it a priority along with stealth at lower levels or should it be just a hobby type thing? Opinions?

Anarki

I kinda have that question too..
My assassin has little to none Alchemy leveled, though I really like to mix it up from time to time. I makes me wonder if it is really worth it!

I mean, should I level Enchanting [or insert skill here] instead of Alchemy?

Cpt Cosmo

Hey, i am trying to get some poison skills as well. So far one Skyrim-Overall-Thing can be said: No matter what playstile or skills you choose, you will become a beast.

But about the Alchemy, i guess it really has its place. I think for me, Alchemy just replaces Magics in its manners. I just begun with brewing some poisons. (try and error, eating ingredients, buying recipes.) I came up with two very useful poisons, 1 stopping all magicka regeneration for 33 sek (which is especially good against mages and their annoying frost stuns), the other slowing down enemies by 50% (but you could use a shout, or the steady hand perk...) But poisons like Fury (attacking everyone around), Paralyzing completely (no movement) can become very tough. Sure my brewed poisons can be improved a lot.

this might not answer your question properly. But may give some info.. :)

Divinity

I think it might work. Combined with a stealth attack and a slow/health drain poison, tougher bosses at lower levels shouldn't pose that much of a threat.

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
The worst thing about this is, leveling alchemy was the worst skill in the game to level. At around 45 a 2-effect potion wasn't giving me enough experience to even see the bar move. You then have to hunt down at least 3 ingredients for every pot from 45(ish) to 100. The more rare buff the more exp, but the more rare the ingredient. It was painful.

As far as the build goes, I think with a full talented Alchemy tree, a "poison build" could be pretty awesome. Remember that all your pots and poisons take up weight, and poisons only hit on the next attack then disappear (two attacks if you have the perk) so you'll need plenty of poisons on you.

Cpt Cosmo

yes. but a good poison has a durable effect.
-> i experienced a somehow similar situation in leveling up alchemy. but somehow there are some very simple combinations which give hell a lot of xp (ill try to post them when i played again). i honestly dont know what the xp is based on. may how clean (do you take 2 ingredients with the same MAIN effect) and strong it is.

edit: guess the alchemy xp is based on the value of the potion/poison you brewed.

here two interesting links: (that guy is heavily "alchemying" since morrowind...)
http://skyrim.melian.cc/?cmd=cmdSkyrimIngredientList
http://skyrim.melian.cc/?cmd=cmdSkyrimAlchemyWizard

but always be carefull with such "walkthrough" information.. you play for fun. (this one was for me i guess)

;) cu

Divinity

I dont see how you guys have higher alchemy skills....All ive done is alchemy so far and its only lvl 23....am i doing something wrong?

Deadhand

I dont see how you guys have higher alchemy skills....All ive done is alchemy so far and its only lvl 23....am i doing something wrong?
No, it's an absolute pain. Get the Thief's Stone, don't be a Werewolf (so you can sleep and get well rested exp bonus) and make pots and poisons with 3 effects on them. That's how you level. Preferably have a LOT of mats on you.

Divinity

I only get two effects at most :/ Skyrim hates me lol

Deadhand

I used a guide to uncover all the effects of all ingredients I had. Some may not want to do this, but it was so tedious already, without this I would've pulled my hair out.

Allet

Article Writer
Two of the playstyles (Warrior and Mage) each have at least one offensive and defensive skill. It would be logical to assume the defensive of Thief is light armor and the offensive is alchemy. I'm about to make a playthrough that focuses on actual thievery instead of assassination. Any combat that he DOES fall into will depend on his arsenal of poisons. I'll let you know how this goes.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts