• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
My main house is Lakeview Manor. The hubby and kids are there, as well as Lydia my housecarl/steward. Along with the usual decorations like display cases, weapon racks and shelves, I like to add a few more homey touches to make the house look more "lived" in.
Like in my foyer I have a stack of different staffs leaning in the corner. A pile of lovely Vale furs. One of the wooden crates is full with different types of arrow quivers, and the other is filled with glowing heart stones. I also placed a couple of scrolls on the small dresser where I keep all the rest of my scrolls. Just some little extra touches that make it look nicer.

What have you done to make your home more homey, if anything? Or are you more of a dump and run kinda player?

xsneakyxsimx

LOL.. I used to be like that to, but when I got Hearthfire I got a little obsessive with the way my house looked. I think it's because IRL we are looking for a house.. so RL carries over into my game play.. :confused:

Cool. Hope you find a great house in real life. ^___^

Wildroses

When my kids give my flowers, I put them in display cabinets. I also only put weapons and armour that actually means something on plaques and mannequins instead of something that looks cool. The Imperial Uniform she wore in the army and the Dwarven Bow she enchanted herself and used for about 15 levels before finding an Ebony bow has a pride of place. If kids give me clothes or jewellery, they get put on the mannequin. There is a useless little bowl near the alchemy section I have filled with soul gem shards. At one point I'd like to put lots of flowers in a basket but the kids or dogs keep knocking them over and making me start again. I try role play my characters a bit, and my current girl cares a lot for Vorstag and has decided to be interested in the Dwemer because he is. She has dishes and urns on tables, a small container she drops levers in and a tall shelf devoted to Centurion Dynamo Cores. I'm slowly taking things out of the dump chest to scatter around the house when I don't feel like questing. I like leaving axes, brooms, shovels and saws in appropriate places inside and out as well. I have shovels in the garden and near the smelters and saws placed artistically on wood piles.

I also meticulously sort my dump containers by type. THIS one for alchemy ingredients and enchantments, THIS one for soul gems, THIS one for vegetables, THIS one for meat, THIS one for cooking ingredients, THIS one to sell, THIS one for pretty clothes, THIS one for stuff I want to eventually display, THIS one for crafting materials, THIS one for jewellery... I'm quite obsessive.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
When my kids give my flowers, I put them in display cabinets. I also only put weapons and armour that actually means something on plaques and mannequins instead of something that looks cool. The Imperial Uniform she wore in the army and the Dwarven Bow she enchanted herself and used for about 15 levels before finding an Ebony bow has a pride of place. If kids give me clothes or jewellery, they get put on the mannequin. There is a useless little bowl near the alchemy section I have filled with soul gem shards. At one point I'd like to put lots of flowers in a basket but the kids or dogs keep knocking them over and making me start again. I try role play my characters a bit, and my current girl cares a lot for Vorstag and has decided to be interested in the Dwemer because he is. She has dishes and urns on tables, a small container she drops levers in and a tall shelf devoted to Centurion Dynamo Cores. I'm slowly taking things out of the dump chest to scatter around the house when I don't feel like questing. I like leaving axes, brooms, shovels and saws in appropriate places inside and out as well. I have shovels in the garden and near the smelters and saws placed artistically on wood piles.

I also meticulously sort my dump containers by type. THIS one for alchemy ingredients and enchantments, THIS one for soul gems, THIS one for vegetables, THIS one for meat, THIS one for cooking ingredients, THIS one to sell, THIS one for pretty clothes, THIS one for stuff I want to eventually display, THIS one for crafting materials, THIS one for jewellery... I'm quite obsessive.
You must be in some serious immersion when ingame

Creative . I never have been to good at being creative, tks for some really good ideas on home decorating in game . I'm going to use this .

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Himintelgja - Heaven Scraper
I've been doing a fair deal of decoration around my hearthfire house lately too.

One that was a pain in the arse to get placed correctly, but I like how it is, is the golden statue of Dibella which I put in the upper right room (treating it like my personal room), on the dresser next to a small display case. Like I said it was very hard to place correctly (I'm sorry, but Bethesda really screwed object movement up) but I am pleased :D

Most of the other decoration stuff involves the usual weapon racks and display cases and such, but I did pick up a Dwemer Bowl and a few other Dwarven things from my recent Mzinchaleft visit for the DB, that I was hoping to put on display. I already have one small piece of Dwemer metal on display in my entryway, in the small display case to the right. At the time I didn't really have any weapons or anything to put in it, so I put the metal in and it looks good I think.

I'll see if I can put the bowl in the Alchemy Tower somewhere, or maybe on the dining room table.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

You sound exactly like me. I put certain things in particular chests to :)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I've been doing a fair deal of decoration around my hearthfire house lately too.

One that was a pain in the arse to get placed correctly, but I like how it is, is the golden statue of Dibella which I put in the upper right room (treating it like my personal room), on the dresser next to a small display case. Like I said it was very hard to place correctly (I'm sorry, but Bethesda really screwed object movement up) but I am pleased :D

Most of the other decoration stuff involves the usual weapon racks and display cases and such, but I did pick up a Dwemer Bowl and a few other Dwarven things from my recent Mzinchaleft visit for the DB, that I was hoping to put on display. I already have one small piece of Dwemer metal on display in my entryway, in the small display case to the right. At the time I didn't really have any weapons or anything to put in it, so I put the metal in and it looks good I think.

I'll see if I can put the bowl in the Alchemy Tower somewhere, or maybe on the dining room table.

Oh yes that Dibella statue..lol. I do have one of them in a chest that I intend to use. I remember having one in my home in Riften and it was a real pain to maneuver into a good position.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Some other things I have placed:
Two amethyst claw pieces in the display case in the back room.
Three of the Jewelled Paragons in a crate in the back room (They are so pretty and look like dragon eggs)
A pile of ingots down in the cellar near the forge
A pile of weapons from long deceased bandit attacks near the front steps to the house. (as a warning to others..lol)
That pretty bottled blood potion is on a dresser in the bedroom upstairs.

All gems and jewellery are in the lock box on the dresser next to my bed.
All clothing/armour items I want to keep that aren't on display are in the wardrobe next to my bed.
Soul gems in the satchel next to enchanting table.
In the alchemy tower I have ingredients in the small satchel, alchemy gear in lock box, and spare potions in large satchel.
I moved all random food items into the kitchen.

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Himintelgja - Heaven Scraper

Oh yes that Dibella statue..lol. I do have one of them in a chest that I intend to use. I remember having one in my home in Riften and it was a real pain to maneuver into a good position.

Yes it is difficult but possible. To save you the grief later, know that you'll have to replace it in the same place twice (the 1st time, and then when you return to your house, as it will be on the floor). After that it should be fine unless you accidentally shout it across the house or something.

But once it is up (and especially if you get it facing the right way), you won't be disappointed!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

Yes it is difficult but possible. To save you the grief later, know that you'll have to replace it in the same place twice (the 1st time, and then when you return to your house, as it will be on the floor). After that it should be fine unless you accidentally shout it across the house or something.

But once it is up (and especially if you get it facing the right way), you won't be disappointed!

Yes I have come across this with a couple of items. That you need to place them twice. It was fun running around gathering up all the heartstones again..lol. I think I lost one forever underneath the dresser. Have you come across the bugs in a jar? I like to display them as well.

snapzit

I put a bowl on a table and fill it with random gems I collect, but I put flawless ones in the strongbox nearest the forge. I noticed that you can only put so many of them in the bowl before it starts to tip and they fall out, though. Fruit looks nice on plates and in bowls, and you have to have the obligatory sweetroll on a plate in the kitchen or dining room.

I use the centurion dynamo cores as night lights and place flowers in every room. I NEVER leave a giant's toe lying around, though I suppose one could be used as a door stop lol.

Ingots go on the stone shelves next to the forge in the cellar, along with a stack of firewood, some leather and strips, and raw ore ends up on the lower stone shelf. I used one of the display cases to show off the dragon claws and another one for dragon priest masks. Those were a pain to keep in them. I had to re-stock the cases more than once because they jump out onto the floor. They look awesome when they're in the cases.

When I find them (they are not common) I'll pick up a ladle, fork, or other utensils and place them in the kitchen or on the table for authenticity.

I like the idea of putting shovels by the garden and the smelter, maybe one in the greenhouse as well.

I've got two of the bugs in a jar. They'll go on a shelf somewhere. My character doesn't have kids yet, so when/if he adopts, the bugs will go in or near the kids' room.

My wood elf has a bad habit of dumping salable items at random in the chests nearest the entryway. Sometimes he has so much stuff in there it takes a while to weed through it all and several trips to merchants to sell it.

I always find it humorous that the tiny alchemy satchels can hold a zillion pounds of ingredients. Not complaining, though!

Rimfaxe96

A flatscreen in front of my bed and a proper car in the driveway. :cowboy:

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I use the centurion dynamo cores as night lights and place flowers in every room. I NEVER leave a giant's toe lying around, though I suppose one could be used as a door stop lol.

I use the cores to light up my house on Solstheim, as well as a few strategically placed torches. And you gave me a great idea for the bug jars in the kids room! :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts