Making the Ultimate (beginner) Build

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ima'be

Hrmmm... FUS RO DAH!
Hello, you guys. In this discussion, I'd really like to see people arguing over techniques on how to make (in essence...) the perfect character for beginning players to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I have posted some build ideas on Christian Lazaro's skyrim builds discussion which suit a fair deal of the four types of characters you can make: Warrior, Mage, Rogue, and Roleplayer. Hopefully I was able to help spread my knowledge of TES:S of possibilities which some of you may enjoy. But I digress...

This will be my first discussion I will have made, for the users of skyrimforum.com, to hopefully help some new (skyrim) players with their first-hand knowledge of how to spend perk points/distribute health/magicka/stamina, and even learn how to make a character which suits THEIR needs.

Basic Guidelines/rules to follow:
a) Please respect people's opinions
- Don't humiliate other people because of errors they have made (or I have made XD )
b) Try to actively participate if you have posted, or someone replied to one of your posts.
- Replying really helps verify your thoughts and ideas on what the 'Ultimate Beginner Build' is.
c) Please don't post if you have not tried the method you are sponsoring, or promoting.
d) (I sound like a total douche, right?) Have fun :)

Your posts should be in steps that are clear, and easy to understand.
On your first post, mark with a * to show you have indeed read the rules and guidelines to follow. (Thank you)

So here's my idea of the Ultimate Beginner Build:
1; Start with an idea you revere.
-Simplify your Idea. (I.E.; if your Idea is to be a battlemage, break it up to what you'll enjoy most first, the warrior half, or the mage half?)

2; Look at the perks available that you can choose from
-It is imperative you think about the long road and what you'll be needing for your simple idea. -Don't spend all your perks in one place, and do NOT try to weigh yourself as a neutral guy/gal... Lean towards one aspect first, then start balancing your perks later on in your travels.(I.E.; Should you decide the mage half is more important, maybe invest perk points into restoration or Alteration to begin, and then move towards Destruction and Conjuration, or even some melee combat perk trees...)
-In my eyes, defense is more important than offense... If you have an Iron sword, playing on master in the beginning, you can EASILY overcome the hard hits with healing - provided to all races.

3; Modify your idea - not to the point of luxury... yet.
-Your simple idea should now be a refined idea from looking at what you can choose in the perk trees. Go ahead and find a perk calculator (if you want) and make a blueprint of your character... be sure to carefully consider how you'll want your stats to be (health/stamina/magicka)
-MAKE SURE YOU COMMIT YOURSELF TO YOUR PLAN - you can make another character for another idea that you are surely to formulate whilst making your current. (it's happened to me...)

4; Start leveling your character: Stick to your plan like a sheet of paper with mega-super glue on it, nailed to the back of a safe, inside of another safe. DO NOT ALTER YOUR IDEA IN ANY WAY.
-Always try to save perk points for when you have made your absolute, positively final draft of your character's playstyle, perks, and h-s-m (health-stamina-magicka) distribution.
-Saving your perk points will allow you to rank up your finesse in your field of choice in increments - I find increments to be verrry nice, maybe they'll be nice for you too.
-If you change your Idea, you can, and will, potentially ruin your save file.
-It helps to make two separate save files when you level up, so you can distribute perk points one way, and then another way on the other file. Then choose whichever perk distribution you favor most.

5; Hop back to step one, and choose another profession which complements your current...(I.E.: For the battlemage you may have started out warrior-like first... so start leveling up the mage part, and vice versa.)

6; Identify the perks that are will really make your secondary choice have that extra oomph.
- Make a second save file of your current save file, and try some things out to see what you'd like best.
- This can take a while since it's really just a guess/check process...
- REMEMBER: focusing on only one type of gameplay is acceptable, but still not efficient against all of Skyrim's challenges.

7; Practice your character's combat
-Make sure nothing is too easy or too boring. (Edit your character if you need to.)

8; Enjoy :D
- Spend some time using that second save file with all the perk points to adapt your build in different ways... maybe you're a battlemage who likes to sneak up on the first foe and stab him in the back with a dagger, then run away placing frost runes? Maybe you focus on your enchantments and go in all gung-ho and freeze/shock/drain/paralyze everybody until they submit... Or in my case, a B.A. mofo who runs in slicing people up, fus ro dah'ing anything that looks fus ro dah'able with a glitched amulet of Talos :) The possibilities are limitless in Skyrim - so try to mix it up a bit, even if it is just by a single perk placement.

Sincerely,

Ima'be

P.S.: Dragonborne DLC for Skyrim has made character building INCREDIBLY easy if you've finished the main storyline - all you need are dragon souls to switch up your characters perks.

binarys0u1

Getting skyrim soon, have a few weeks off so can make a start on it. Loved oblivion. Poured way too many hours into it! Cheers for the ideas on character building. I'll probably go down the pure Mage route. Have read that high elf is good due to magicka regen ( was Breton in Oblivion)