• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Commodus

Hi, guys! Skyrim was awesome, wasn't it? And what I especially liked was the Hearthfire add-on, and how you could make yourself a home. Unfortunately, though, where the DLC fell down was in your interactions with your family. From your spouse to the urchins you adopted - the Dragonborn's clan felt like strangers, wandering around aimlessly without rhyme or reason.
I'm sure we can all agree that there is room for improvement?
So, here are a few things I think could be added to improve the experience:

- For starters, spouses and kids should be able to be shown affection. You should be able to kiss your wife or husband, or give your kid a hug. Dialogue options would also be nice, because in Hearthfire, you couldn't even tell the poor, abused orphans that you loved them :sadface:

- Using the internal clock of the computer, the family should be assigned birthdays, and remind you of them in the days leading up to it. This could trigger a mission in which you get food, supplies, hand out invitations, hire a drunken clown. Whatever. A birthday should be a big deal, and have a number of missions to make it go off flawlessly.

- Homes should be safe. No bandits, no Giants, nothing. It's not unreasonable to want at least one place where that plops doesn't bother you, right? And this nicely leads onto my next point...

- Babies! Adoption is wonderful, but I think it would be super cute to have a little baby and see everyone, from your housecarl to your followers, gushing over the new arrival. This is why it's important to keep the home a safe space, so it's a beacon of positivity in games that can get quite dark. I don't want our kids to be running scared from Vampire Hunters or Dragon attacks!

- Random missions! Your son might want you to talk to a bully, your wife might give you a list of ingredients to gather, your daughter might lose her doll and want you to look for it.

- Families should have moments together. For instance, let's say the kids are tired and want a story read to them, you can gather the whole family together and read from one of the many books in your collection - complete with snarky comments ;) This also extends to hiking trips, going to shops in big cities and picking out a family pet.

I think the family dynamic was a great part of Skyrim, and I'm glad they tried it, but I think it's clear that there's a whole lot more they could do with the idea.
What are your opinions?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts