• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I am confused as to why my Magicka remains so low (it's 112), despite ALWAYS putting at least one point in Intelligence (I usually up Willpower as well as I know if influences regeneration) and am wearing a ring of +6 Magicka.

How does it work? I thought upping Intelligence increased your Magicka. Admittedly I'm only at level 13, but I'm stuck with some low level electrical spell that I need to hit enemies with 2 or 3 times before they go down.

Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

BTW, just created a female Breton character that I want to concentrate more on Magicka on so any tips about this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

JoeReese

Not sure what your racial or birthsign attributes are, but is your intelligence 56 by chance? It looks like intelligence x 2 + birthsign + racial. My character is a Breton, born under the mage sign, so I ended up with a bit more magicka, but it seems to stay pretty low unless you use fortify magicka potions/enchantments, or intelligence boosters. If you haven't gone to the college yet, try to close as many oblivion gates as you can. You can use the sigil stones to enchant gear, with either a weapon or armor bonus. You're bound to find a few magicka boosters in there, in addition to all the attribute rings the dremora wear.

I'm still a noob at this, but it's getting better.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Magicka

Daelon DuLac

Not sure what your racial or birthsign attributes are, but is your intelligence 56 by chance? It looks like intelligence x 2 + birthsign + racial. My character is a Breton, born under the mage sign, so I ended up with a bit more magicka, but it seems to stay pretty low unless you use fortify magicka potions/enchantments, or intelligence boosters. If you haven't gone to the college yet, try to close as many oblivion gates as you can. You can use the sigil stones to enchant gear, with either a weapon or armor bonus. You're bound to find a few magicka boosters in there, in addition to all the attribute rings the dremora wear.

I'm still a noob at this, but it's getting better.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Magicka
Thanks for the info. I'm Imperial under the Lady I think. I did not know about the 2x. I would guess then that you can't go any higher than 200 on your magicka then since you can only get to 100 on your attributes (I think) and everything else will have to be an enhancement. On the plus side though, I do collect Welkynd Stones so I can always recharge very quickly. Oh well, I'll just keep hitting them with the spells repeatedly (I've gotten pretty good at spamming the spells so they don't even have time to react!).

I've closed so many Oblivion gates and have a stack of sigil stones so that's good and am working on the recommendations to get in to the University. I haven't found any rings or boosters at all so far, but I'm sure I will at some point. I'm kind of avoiding the gates at the moment, unless required. It's getting kind of boring to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over, but I guess I'll have to do it, since they seem to be popping up like Taco Bell's all over the place.

BTW, I know about the Welkynd Stones recharging my magicka, but what does the other one do (I forget it's name, it's the special one you get from under the covers in the ruins).

Loving the skeleton heros and guardians, but, those dern zombies seem to be immune to lightning (although they are certainly suseptible to fire!) and loving the vampires. Doze goys got ATTITUDE!

JoeReese

The other stone, starts with a V, worth 1000 gold, but I can't remember its name either. Save them. Once you have enchanted weapons, the stone acts like a super soul gem, recharges all your enchantments to full at once. I usually try to make it count, by draining every weapon before I recharge. If you have some stored at home, you might want to go pick them up before you do this. Get the most bang for the buck.

Daelon DuLac

The other stone, starts with a V, worth 1000 gold, but I can't remember its name either. Save them. Once you have enchanted weapons, the stone acts like a super soul gem, recharges all your enchantments to full at once. I usually try to make it count, by draining every weapon before I recharge. If you have some stored at home, you might want to go pick them up before you do this. Get the most bang for the buck.
Varla Stone! Thanks. I have 4 of them lying about at the moment. I usually just pay a nominal fee to recharge, but I'm going to start keeping one on hand, just in case I really, really need ot recharge Chillrend and my staves!. Thanks!

JoeReese

I'll have to go get on the PS3 and see if I can investigate my character's raw magicka. Idk what my intelligence is, but I think my pool is at like 230 without enchantment, but that's also Breton with Mage sign, and battlemage class. Also, google the locations of the rune stones and doom stones. Some, like Skyrim, you can have only one (I took Warrior for that one, a 2 minute boost in combative skills, like 20 pts at a time) and the rune stones you can have as many as you can find. They each give you a power to use, that can only help.

JoeReese

Something potentially useful for when you get into the college. My big spell, as I call it, was made at level with a destruction skill below 40. If I chose fire, frost, or shock, I couldn't get more than 20 damage without getting the "requires destruction skill of 50" message, but I already had bought the 20 point spells and they soaked up my magicka badly. For reasons unknown to me, drain health let me go all the way to 100 pts damage, when the elementals would not. I can't explain that, but if you run into trouble creating a useful punch, run around and get the cheapest drain health you can find, and then you'll be able to work it up to whatever your skills allow. I just discovered yesterday that there's a difference between the drain health and damage health spells, too, but I can't figure out why. They both do the same thing, both come under the destruction skill, yet damage health acts like the elementals, and drain health really lets me soar. I'm going to have to look up that spell, come to think of it, and see what else governs it, but on the surface it seems to be a pretty powerful back-pocket spell. I can cast it now, for 39 magicka, and I've made a 200 pointer (100 for 2 sec) with a 10' area of effect, as well as a 300 pointer on hit, and another 200 pointer with a soul trap.

Daelon DuLac

Follow-up query: I notice that there are no magical robes for mages (or I haven't run in to any). Are there any at some point or is it all items (I find pants, shirts, jackets, etc... with something along with rings and necklaces).

Just wondering.

Starting a Breton mage named Daela DuLuc (I know, I know... :)) just to try it out AND she has purple hair. I made her about as good looking as a Breton could be (which isn't very, although better than Skyrim). Her I want to do the university and explore rather than running around like a chicken-with-her-head-cut-off trying to complete all these questlines and side-quests. Frankly Echo is getting exhausted, although his Athletics (is that right?) and Acrobatics is getting pretty high.

JoeReese

I'm not sure about further into the game, but the only enchanted robes I've seen so far is when they give you your arcane university robes. I got a set when I joined, with a small enchantment,j and a somewhat more powerful set on being promoted to conjurer. Since then, even the archmage robes are unenchanted, as are Mannimarco's. If / when you get a visit from Lucien LaChance of the DB, his duds are pretty far out, but don't kill him in your house because he never despawns.

We have the Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine addons, so I'm rocking the armor of the crusader right now. Pretty badass enchantments on that stuff.

JoeReese

Follow-up query: I notice that there are no magical robes for mages (or I haven't run in to any). Are there any at some point or is it all items (I find pants, shirts, jackets, etc... with something along with rings and necklaces).

Just wondering.

Starting a Breton mage named Daela DuLuc (I know, I know... :)) just to try it out AND she has purple hair. I made her about as good looking as a Breton could be (which isn't very, although better than Skyrim). Her I want to do the university and explore rather than running around like a chicken-with-her-head-cut-off trying to complete all these questlines and side-quests. Frankly Echo is getting exhausted, although his Athletics (is that right?) and Acrobatics is getting pretty high.

LOL, my character looks kind of like Dudley Moore. Lizzie managed to make herself a pretty hot lil thang, but I think it took her over an hour of fiddling with the facegen.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of side quests.

Thanks for the info. I'm Imperial under the Lady I think. I did not know about the 2x. I would guess then that you can't go any higher than 200 on your magicka then since you can only get to 100 on your attributes (I think) and everything else will have to be an enhancement. On the plus side though, I do collect Welkynd Stones so I can always recharge very quickly. Oh well, I'll just keep hitting them with the spells repeatedly (I've gotten pretty good at spamming the spells so they don't even have time to react!).

I've closed so many Oblivion gates and have a stack of sigil stones so that's good and am working on the recommendations to get in to the University. I haven't found any rings or boosters at all so far, but I'm sure I will at some point. I'm kind of avoiding the gates at the moment, unless required. It's getting kind of boring to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over, but I guess I'll have to do it, since they seem to be popping up like Taco Bell's all over the place.

BTW, I know about the Welkynd Stones recharging my magicka, but what does the other one do (I forget it's name, it's the special one you get from under the covers in the ruins).

Loving the skeleton heros and guardians, but, those dern zombies seem to be immune to lightning (although they are certainly suseptible to fire!) and loving the vampires. Doze goys got ATTITUDE!

It might be in your interests to wait before you finish the main quest and close all the Oblivion gates. If I remember correctly, at around lvl 24, Sigil Stones become the most powerful (Transcendent). All the enchantments at that point kick a**, but the magika Sigil Stone will have a fortify magika 50 points enchantment. You can either save right before you pick up the stone and load back until you get the right one or just take the time to close all 50-60 Oblivion Gates and get however many you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeReese

It might be in your interests to wait before you finish the main quest and close all the Oblivion gates. If I remember correctly, at around lvl 24, Sigil Stones become the most powerful (Transcendent). All the enchantments at that point kick a**, but the magika Sigil Stone will have a fortify magika 50 points enchantment. You can either save right before you pick up the stone and load back until you get the right one or just take the time to close all 50-60 Oblivion Gates and get however many you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I was just about to go back to Cloud Ruler, but I think I'll stay a free agent for a bit. I just got an ascendent stone that does 40 pts magicka, and the most I can enchant with a grand soul is 24. Shopping time. I...er...might have accidentally made a few black gems, which could possibly have been filled by hapless Dremora.
whistle_zpsda899bd0.gif

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
There are some powerful artifacts in the Shivering Isles, from what I have experienced. (Shame my character, Thrognar Grey-Mane is a Crusader...) I will see if anything Magicka related pops up.

Toxius

Frost Wolf
I'm just curious, but do you use spell absorption, and/or spell reflection?

Also, since I see you're a Breton. You just need a mundane ring(which is basically a rare and difficult ring to get).
It's easy to get if you put the main quest off until you're at least level 20ish I think. You would pretty much get a lot of nice gear for putting off the main quest until then.

Pretty much a Breton with a mundane ring is pretty much immune to magic based attacks. Top this with the Apprentice birth stone (which gives you 100+ to mp points and 100% weakness to magic, but you don't have to worry about this as, Breton(50% magic resistance) topped with the Mundane ring(another 50% magic resistance) and this is a free 100 mp points.

What else, oh you basically need Umbra's sword and Azura's star. Add your really overpowered starves and you would basically have unlimited use.

In oblivion you need to level all of your skills together, or it's pretty much going to stay low forever (as they become very redundant later on).

Are you wearing any heavy armour or have a high armour rating? If you do, it's pretty much going to screw with your spell effectiveness. Which could basically mean the difference between living and dying as a mage. Say you only have 50% effectiveness, your spells would only do half their damage and you would waste more magicka by trying to compensate for that damage.

If you however have a problem with staying alive with no armour, then that's where spell absorption, reflect spell, resist spells, and reflect damage, shield or elemental shield effects all come in.

Don't forget you need to carry dispel and poison cure potions, Silence is the worst thing that can happen to any mage. Also focus on certain debuffs, example casting weakness to fire on an enemy and then using fire based spells would increase the effectiveness of that overall spell. Mages are hard to start with in Oblivion, but once you get it right they're pretty much unstoppable.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts