• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
No love for magic? :[ Blasting your foes with hadoken is fun too. Now that I think about it, since they brought finishing move for combat, they should have some for magic too. But then again, dragon shout is doing that for us... augh I think I might just go with magic

Tusck

I know that I will attempt to max out illusion, because I cannot live without detect life. Also, frenzy looks amazing. Nothing better than a spell that distracts everyone, leaving me with backstab opportunities galore.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
For first playthrough I won't be using any maajiks, except for Dragon shouts. It's actually going to be challenge, I have bad tendency to always start conjuring around, even if I had planned to have a different way to go through game.

Sheogorath

Cheese for everyone.
Usually I only use conjuring spells because I love to have a cool guardian following me around and helping me kill random beasties :p I will be looking forward to conjuring an atronach to fight a dragon or a mammoth.

Flamingtaco

I think not using magic is just hurting yourself except in Oblivion where you have to buy spells and its somewhat tedious. Being a pure mage seems somewhat difficult though, because you'd have to rely solely on your magicka bar.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I think not using magic is just hurting yourself except in Oblivion where you have to buy spells and its somewhat tedious.
More the challenge, more the merrier. There's not much point if you exploit combat style through unbalances and glitches. How your character are going to differ, if you play the combats of the game in an exact same way?

Flamingtaco

Well you could also spend your time leveling stealth based skills too. In oblivion I would often find myself using the original destruction spells at level 10 because I didn't take time to buy new ones, even as a journeyman in that skill.

Travis

So just curious, is there anyone here that plays without the use of magic on their main/first play through? I usually do not use it often, with the exception of a little illusion magic here or there. Anyone else not use magic or use it very little?
I do. I always go pure magic on my first play through... but watching after watching some of these vids that show stealth gameplay, I'm seriously considering maybe going stealth/thief (which is normally what I do second) first.

Flamingtaco

I do. I always go pure magic on my first play through... but watching after watching some of these vids that show stealth gameplay, I'm seriously considering maybe going stealth/thief (which is normally what I do second) first.
The beauty of it is that you don't have to decide for sure until you're a few hours into the game. And even then you can still mix and match.

Travis

I know. What an amazing game. Can anyone name another game that allows you that freedom? I don't think so.

I'm thinking I might try to do both, the first time through... too ambitious?

Flamingtaco

I know. What an amazing game. Can anyone name another game that allows you that freedom? I don't think so.
Well I hate to say it, but Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. It comes out next year and looks to be a competitor for Skyrim especially on console. It has a ton of freedom in the class system letting you switch your "destiny" and redistribute skill points whenever you want and it looks pretty good. It will be much more action oriented though, and be less deep and detailed I think so it has a place alongside Skyrim in my mind.

Travis

Well I hate to say it, but Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. It comes out next year and looks to be a competitor for Skyrim especially on console. It has a ton of freedom in the class system letting you switch your "destiny" and redistribute skill points whenever you want and it looks pretty good. It will be much more action oriented though, and be less deep and detailed I think so it has a place alongside Skyrim in my mind.
Well, the more the merrier. If Elder Scrolls get's some good competition, it only means more quality games for us :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts