• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tusck

So just curious, is there anyone here that plays without the use of magic on their main/first play through? I usually do not use it often, with the exception of a little illusion magic here or there. Anyone else not use magic or use it very little?

Tri-edge

Im going to be using very Little maybe just a Healing spell on stand by im going to be using shouts alot thou.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I love using magic. Honestly, it's overpowered. But mages have low health so I guess that's a trade-off. I didn't like combat in oblivion so I never really went pure combat. But this time around, pure combat seems exciting.

Mikk

Article Writer
Conjuration. CONJURIFICATION!

Though it was horribly overpowered in Oblivion for most of the game. I'm hoping in Skyrim I'll be able to use conjuration fully without eliminating too much of the challenge.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Conjuration. CONJURIFICATION!

Though it was horribly overpowered in Oblivion for most of the game. I'm hoping in Skyrim I'll be able to use conjuration fully without eliminating too much of the challenge.
Hm... That's weird. I didn't think it was overpowered. I thought it was pretty weak since my summons would die in few hits. Not to mention, I didn't like the idea of equipping weapons and armor for a limited amount of time. It was annoying summoning multiple equipments just to fight. In Skyrim, conjuration looks pretty damn cool so I think I might try it again.

Mikk

Article Writer
Hm... That's weird. I didn't think it was overpowered. I thought it was pretty weak since my summons would die in few hits. Not to mention, I didn't like the idea of equipping weapons and armor for a limited amount of time. It was annoying summoning multiple equipments just to fight. In Skyrim, conjuration looks pretty damn cool so I think I might try it again.
Maybe it was the way I levelled, but the second I could summon a Deadroth, a room full of enemies would be cleared in one spell. When I finally levelled to the point where my Deadroth couldn't hold his own, I was summoning Storm Atronach's and having the same effect. I mean, of course I'd reach a point where the Storm Atronach was also as ineffective, but by then I'd completed the main quest, the Arena and most of the guilds.

I agree though, the idea of summoning weapons and armour was never particularly attractive to me.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Given how badly magic was implemented in Oblivion it shouldn’t be surprising that not that many of us went with it. I think that will change this time though. I planned to be a mage with my second character. The catch? He won’t be killing any persons so I will probably dedicate a lot of points to Illusion and reserve destruction magic for creatures.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Maybe it was the way I levelled, but the second I could summon a Deadroth, a room full of enemies would be cleared in one spell. When I finally levelled to the point where my Deadroth couldn't hold his own, I was summoning Storm Atronach's and having the same effect. I mean, of course I'd reach a point where the Storm Atronach was also as ineffective, but by then I'd completed the main quest, the Arena and most of the guilds.

I agree though, the idea of summoning weapons and armour was never particularly attractive to me.
haha I think the point of conjuration is summoning a monster that will kill things for you. I guess that makes it a boring skill but that's what it's meant to be. You don't really do much but you get to watch some AI fighting in action as your monster demolish those fools >:]

Even if your monster dies, you can just summon another... Really, fighting against a conjurer was just annoying. All I had to do was focus down on the summoner since killing the monster only resulted on him summoning another. I hope they fixed that dumb issue this time. The next time a conjurer summon his little minion, I want to kill it and give him a lunatic grin as I slowly walk over to finish him all scared >:] Also, it would also bring balance to conjuration, making you want to use them strategically and heal them if you can.

Tusck

Given how badly magic was implemented in Oblivion it shouldn’t be surprising that not that many of us went with it. I think that will change this time though. I planned to be a mage with my second character. The catch? He won’t be killing any persons so I will probably dedicate a lot of points to Illusion and reserve destruction magic for creatures.

I think you are right. That was one of my complaints with Oblivion. I'm hoping it would be different because I would still like to use illusion, but I can see why my rogue would use mysticism and alteration as well.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
How about being able to control the summoned creature like a companion?

I hope they fixed that dumb issue this time.
How would they do that? Longer cool-down periods?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Is there cool-downs in Skyrim? If there is, it could work. If not, I guess you can have some 'after-effect' from conjuring things, like reducing your total magicka temporally.

Tusck

How about being able to control the summoned creature like a companion?

This is what I thought wood elves could do when I saw the charm racial they get. Turns out it was useless. However, if you could charm a creature and it would stay with you until it died, or was released, that would be an awesome skill. It would start slow, like a pig or a rabbit, then as you level you move on to other beasts like bears, boars, tigers, etc.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Better yet: Have them keep their level even if they die.

Is there cool-downs in Skyrim? If there is, it could work. If not, I guess you can have some 'after-effect' from conjuring things, like reducing your total magicka temporally.
In the “Naruto” universe summoning beasts usually requires some of the user’s blood (for a “contract” of sorts). Maybe they could use that and have conjuring drain some of your life.

Tusck

That may be too close to Bioware and blood magic. I'm ok with having the charm, it just needs to be worthwhile. I disagree about a dead animal keeping it's level. If you charmed animal dies, you should have to go find another.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
No, not charmed animals, I was talking about conjured creatures. “Dying” would just send them back to the sphere they came from. The blood could be used as the physical matter used to create their body in this dimension. Oh and what Bioware game are you talking about? I’d generally say that one shouldn’t exclude a good mechanic just because someone else did it. And blood magic is hardly something they invented. The concept is actually thousands of years old.

Tusck

Ah I misunderstood. Yeah the conjurer animals should have the same level as you, or the spell depending on the mechanic. I was thinking DAO as far as blood magic, but you are right, it's not new. Vanguard actually had an awesome class call the bloodmage, which was a healer.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
“Dragon Age: Origin”? Come on, dude, there are games that are more than a decade older and have this topic.

Tri-edge

I'm not too interested in magic. Projectiles and melee weapons are my thing!
Great Minds think alike. Its going to be all hack and slash with me! thou they have made magic look so much better in the game i still think im going to go back to my roots and just Kill the plops out of people with my sword

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts