• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
So just to say in the start i have experimented in may ways with skyrim characters, and with out a doubt mage is the cheapest, over-powered, and hell of a lot fun! So to start.

Warriors : Good armor hp and damage from start and youd think so as the game continues, there not bad though decapitations are awesome and its a fun aspect to play no doubt!

Assassins : There very good just make sure your sneak perks are always priority, you don't want to get into a big mess or you'll be pie.

Mages : Start of weak and hard, probably annoying. End over-powered by far.

so a sneaky character can one hit a dragon on master with the right perks and equipment with a dagger, and there also very cheap you can literally walk past people or right in there faces with perks maxed. So there very cheap too but i don't find them as fun.

A Warrior with my lv81 orc who had full daedric and two hand battle axe could kill a ancient dragon on master in like 6 hits or less. He had nice defense and hp stamina fair aswell but i always found my self needing potions in battles.

Mages :) so why there over-powered in the end. First off you can wear heavy armor with no negative effects to your spells so you can have just as much defense as a warrior in that legendary daedric armor you smithed. Second going straight up the enchantment tree. You can dual enchant all your gear and if every piece of equipment including ring and amulet is used for destruction and destruction magick regen you can literally cast any destruction spell and your mana bar will not pop up because ur virtually spending not a point the stack of % less use and cutting it in half with the mastery perks will not budge a magicka bar for a mage who has 300 magicka. Being a high elf you already start with 150 so your not that far away, head start from any other race. Now the sweetest is your meat shields, even though you can take a hand-full of good slugs from hardy warriors with or with out your ebony flesh on with magick dmg absorbtion hahaha... You can have two dremora lords who alone can fluff up a dragon on master, your merch or your choice, probably lyida shes easy to get, heavy armor, sword, shield, archery, a dog, and a horse, you have a lil elite meat shield army to keep bad guys distracted as you chill on a rock spamming every spell you can before there all dead.

Yup mages are over-powered, if you have any reason to disagree and support another type post a respond im interested. It feels nice to look at all your destruction spells including mastery's cost 0 magicka in the main menu tehee. I run around dungeons and explore skyrim freely with no potions and only five things in my quick menu. Summon dremora, Thunderbolt, wall of storm(for fun), lightning storm, close wounds. and pwn everything. hard work pays of.

And a nice video to show you some good mage work on master, with out and meat sheilds. This isn't me btw im not that cocky.

Kuurus

I think every type of character is potentially extremely over powered if built right. My lvl 60 redguard would be classified as a warrior (heavy armor/1H/block/sneak/archery all at 100 and all decently perked). Nothing in the game can harm him much, including ancient dragons. Obviously armor is capped to prevent 80% of physical damage, but he can actively block even more, meaning he takes less than that 20%. He has 69% magic resist and up to 80% elemental resist (30% on gear and a possible 50% more if blocking). The net result is mage spells or other forms of fire/frost/shock damage only hit him for 21.7% of their damage if he's not blocking, and a paltry 6.2% if he raises the shield to block it. I carry potions of every type on him, but never actually use them except for the occasional poisoning on the weapon (usually a slow or paralyze) just for fun.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Use a 0 armor mage with no conjuration and no follower. See how that works out for ya.

It's only "OP"ed because you chose to make it so. Or I guess you can turn that around and say "because Bethesda allows you to be". But whatever, it's semantics.

An armored Mage is just ridiculous to me.

Static

Use a 0 armor mage with no conjuration and no follower. See how that works out for ya.

It's only "OP"ed because you chose to make it so. Or I guess you can turn that around and say "because Bethesda allows you to be". But whatever, it's semantics.

This. I have a armourless Argonian spellsword and it's very tricky sometimes. Sure, xxxxskin helps, but against Ancient Dragons and high level Draugr/bears/trolls it's definitely more about tactics than anything else. A very rewarding playstyle, and some of my most epic-feelings battles using this character - 30 minutes to kill a dragon which can kill you in one or two hits is tense.

Necromis

ah, but remember on the alteration tree and with the antorch stone you have the ability for magic resistance and absorption and dragon breath counts as magic. With the right enchanting and perks even no armour can be powerful on the defense/offense side with mage. Though I am having some difficulty right now at the lower levels with my Thalmor Mage.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
ah, but remember on the alteration tree and with the antorch stone you have the ability for magic resistance and absorption and dragon breath counts as magic. With the right enchanting and perks even no armour can be powerful on the defense/offense side with mage. Though I am having some difficulty right now at the lower levels with my Thalmor Mage.

You're right, while it CAN be helpful to the zero armor mage, however, the OP mentioned using both Heavy Armor as well as the perks from Alteration. Serious overkill.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Try playing with robes instead of armour; see how easy it'll be then.

Cannabyss

I must've fluffed up somewhere down the road with my level 58 Breton battle-mage. Maybe it's because I couldn't help but to dip into just about every perk tree, but even playing on Expert (haven't tried out Master yet), Ancient Dragons fluff my day up. No one else can touch me, but it bums me out that I can't take out the Ancient Dragons with relative ease. Not that I necessarily want the game to be super easy, I just expected this overpowered rape machine after reading on here. Maybe I need better gear, or maybe my perks have been misused. All I know is that I don't have the time or the willpower to start over.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
Conjured bow with max conjuration and max archery = 96 damage x3 sneak attack damage = 288 x 2 with berserker rage (because the Orc is beast ;P) = 576 damage pershot, any class can be overpowered but I dont beleive in Overpowered stuff in single player games, just exploits..

with this combo I kinda wish i invested in Onehanded....

with enchanting any character can become any class for the most part, but i like my Assasin/ theif, I make too much money for my own good, I wish there was more stuff I could spend my money on other than houses. its nice to make a but load of cash but its not that fun when there nothing to spend it on :sadface:

Epsilon

Shaun
i don't think any certain class is OP, it all depends on your style which is great about this game. In other games i kicked ass with mages but in skyrim i sucked with a mage. My buddy plays an assassin and is damn good with him it looks OP from watching but its the way he specs and picks his fights. I play with the same character but im not patient enough to play a sneaking based character but im awesome with my paladin or crusader whatever you wanna call it. Its all about playing what your best at.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer

Im not looking for more of a challenge or anything ive played through on skyrim on many different breeds of characters and builds, alls im saying is in my experience being a full mage is quite easy even on master, all i did basicly was suffer a bit till i got arch-mage gear and played untill i got my enchanted daedric armor now i don't even need any followers i just run around with infinite mana casting thunderbolt on anything and every hit stuns and beast, dragons, alduin, and specific quest dragon, literally anything every hit stuns along with chain lightning if you find yourself in a pickle or unrelenting force, i zipped through the quest in about a hour n a half with no potions needed, and i travel aimless through skyrim with out fear.

The only other that comes close i think is a thief but they don't kill as swift to my liking.

andrea

any class can become overpowered, but I agree that mage's start is the hardest, especially if you want to play a pure mage wearing no armor.
in my opinion the really overpowered class is a battlemage one handed-conjuration-destruction with heavy armor.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
I must've fluffed up somewhere down the road with my level 58 Breton battle-mage. Maybe it's because I couldn't help but to dip into just about every perk tree, but even playing on Expert (haven't tried out Master yet), Ancient Dragons fu** my day up. No one else can touch me, but it bums me out that I can't take out the Ancient Dragons with relative ease. Not that I necessarily want the game to be super easy, I just expected this overpowered rape machine after reading on here. Maybe I need better gear, or maybe my perks have been misused. All I know is that I don't have the time or the willpower to start over.

My tip would be in the start focus on restoration one-handed, thats how i went till i got them with decent perks, novice, apprentice restoration, respite, magick recovery, novice destruction dual destruction, impact, apprentice destruction, id get those perks before working heavy armor, and for the one-handed if your not using conjur weapons arms man twice savage strike is also good since your going to do standing power attacks often as you cast with the other hand. Also a preferable class would be a Breton because they have great spell absorption. A elemental attack from a flying dragon filling your mana bar can change a battle for sure. Lol, ancient dragon, 3 cave bears and 2 saber cats and 5 wolfs.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Like many others have said, any way you play can be extremely powerful whether it be warrior, mage or thief. I always personally found mages a little harder; since with warriors your armour and weapons will be powerful enough to hack through anything, and as a thief you can walk up to someone and stab them in the face for 30x damage. With a mage, destructions spells can only get so damaging and you cannot enchant them; also if you're wearing robes, I tend to get killed easily if I'm up against someone with a bow and arrow or two-handed weapons.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
Like many others have said, any way you play can be extremely powerful whether it be warrior, mage or thief. I always personally found mages a little harder; since with warriors your armour and weapons will be powerful enough to hack through anything, and as a thief you can walk up to someone and stab them in the face for 30x damage. With a mage, destructions spells can only get so damaging and you cannot enchant them; also if you're wearing robes, I tend to get killed easily if I'm up against someone with a bow and arrow or two-handed weapons.

:p kiting my friend, online mmo's just incase you have not really realized the idea of running back and casting those frost on a charging warrior, or anyspell for the matter if u can take a few blows ur fine u just gota switch to the heal before you die. No mistakes. :p I did some nice kiting as a level 4 on the giant camp right out from whiterun

Kuurus

Again, class doesn't really matter. It's all how you build it. Yes, you can create a mage who has no fear of dying, doesn't require the additional help provided by potions and kills everything in seconds.

You can also do this with a character built as a warrior, or an assassin/ thief type if you wish. There is no real difference

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts