• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
I will be working on a detailed Mage/Assassin Guide. The guide will GUIDE you to building your character, from who i believe is best to choose, to things to do at your start like helpful locations to go for good leveling and items to find. Along with walkthroughs to quests that are pretty much required for a healthy start.:) follow this if interested

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
Hello this is my guide to building a mage/assassin character:D So yea, lets get started.
First off i would just like to say this isn't a master survival guide. So if you follow my guide to the bone and play on master, and possibly die a lot, not my fault, and honestly I don't care:mad:
*Note* The perks really aren't in any specific order just as long as you grab them, you should be able to get a understanding what is necessity to helpful, to fun. But the skills are listed in priority.*
Now to really begin.

First I Recommend your race being a High Elf. I recommend this because they have the highest illusion of all races which is going to be your Main Skill. *This is because in illusion you can use, fury (make enemy attack anyone, example; enemy attacking his friend, you, or your follower, hes completely hostile.) Muffle Movement (Makes your steps more silent) and invisibility (i hope this is self-explanatory)

FurtherDown the line of illusion is quite casting (All spells are silent to the enemy) All of the above will help you in manipulating your enemy, being stealthy, renaming undetected, and could possibly turn the tide of battle.

Stone : Lover

Perks In The Illusion Tree you should be interested in grabbing are, Novice, Apprentice, Adept, and expert. No need for Master, your not two-handing full mage. Your other hand has a dagger.Also, Hypnotic gaze, aspect of terror, rage. Lastly Animage, Kindred mage, and quite casting (quite-casting is a must!) Technically all of the above is important. With out the illusion branch your going to have a much more difficult time, especially on harder difficulty's. You should get to quite casting as fast as possible. It really helps the sneaking aspect.

Your Other Main Skill Is Sneak! Yup, so obvious eh:rolleyes: So you may think why not into something more productive to kill faster. Well You already are! Your illusion spells will turn enemy's on one another. Keep you undetected and out of sight. Now your sneak skills well stack with being unheard illusionist spells, AND Killing.

Perks Max 5/5 stealth, back stab, muffled movement, dead eye, assassin blade, light foot, silent roll, silence is optional, if you like to spend the extra skill point, i find it unneeded to waste it because all of the previous skills plus the illusion muffle movement and/or invisibility is great enough on its own. Shadow warrior is useless, you have invisibility! Between all i've recommended for illusion and sneak you will be spending a total of 22 skill points.
To find a even balance! Between perks into enchanting and light armor.

Enchanting. Simple enough, improves your gear. You may find some nice robes with decent magic boosts, But with some dedication to enchanting and a simple quest you can disenchant that, and put it on something more worthy, light armor. Also more then likely to be stronger, not always the case. PERKS 5/5 Enchanter, Insightful Enchanter, Corpus Enchanter, Extra effect.

Destruction. Why towards the end? Spreading yourself across to many Skills and perks makes you weak, by the teen levels you won't be deadly in anything, but spanned a crossed many things. Which isn't what you want on harder difficulty's.
You should wait until you get quite casting. Work your sneak and enchanting so you can remain undetected with sneak, can manipulate enemy's with illusion, and increase chance of survival with light armor, light armor perks, and enchanting.

Perks Novice Destruction, Dual Casting, Impact (make your way to this first, very helpful, staggers enemy's with destruction spells keeping them from getting to you.) 2/2 Augmented Flame, Frost, and shock, Apprentice Destruction, Adept Destruction, and Expert Destruction.

Lastly, Smithing. Smithing because, making dragon scale armor, the best light armor, upgrading it best as possible. Increasing your chases of survival as much as possible.
Last because as you level you can find better armor, and its pretty much rendered useless with out good enchanting, your going to make your enemy's kill one another, not find/hear you, and back stab and slit there throats. Being concerned with highest defense is a warriors trifle.

Perks Steel Smithing, Arcane Black Smith, Elven Smithing, Advanced Armors, Glass Smithing, Dragon Smithing.
After all the skill and perks i have recommended you invest into you will be spending a total of 48 perks of 80. Leaving you with 32 perks to spend on what ever you desire. Perhaps Alteration is best, for those pesky high powered mages, to add extra defense, and warding magic damage, stone mage is useless when wearing armor *read its desciption :) * Or maybe even conjuration. Having two summons and some followers couldnt hurt for bad situations.

More To Be Added! A couple of helpful quests, links, items, and locations to visit and conquer to help bring a strong success.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Very good guide, but a few points on which I wish to ask about.

1) You said Dragonscale is the best light armour. I've heard others day indeed that the Nightingale armour, which you get from the Thieves Guild, is most effective for sneaking. Enlighten me more on this.

2) What if your Fury or Frenzy spell doesn't work on some higher level enemies? Tht kind of puts the Illusion part to waste.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
i actually didnt take nightingale into consideration. but to answer both your questions, it may be the best for sneaking but to get benefits to more then that you would want to enchant your own gear, with extra enchant perk you can put two on each piece of item, plus azuras star into black gem makes life only easier. i could also argue using dark brotherhoods shroud armor for better assassinations. Also i was half asleep writing this i missed some illusion perks, i doubt it will fail on a enemy but if in case you do and alert them, invisibility, hide, follow, cut throat. :) thanks for bringing a few things to my attention

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Well, thank you for the quick response. This looks like a build that I may very well get into one day.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
but i find it unlikely, high elfs specialty is illusion and npcs level with you. with the perks and the npcs at your level and the fact its your specialty i would be pissed if it was resisted, but all it is is another reason to enchant gear to make that not happen. By late ending levels your probably going to find yourself with multiples of dragon scale enchanted in many ways to benefit your character in all sorts of situations. just more fun exploring work:D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts