• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rekamennos

Account closed
I don't understand everyone's obsession with marrying Lydia. There's way hotter NPC's you guys. Someone, please, enlighten me?

I like the dark eyes and dark hair look.

She was also my first...

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
She was my first follower, she was cute, she had some sarcasm, nice voice, and we both saved each other's necks multiple times.
She quickly became one of my nerd crushes. :p

Rekamennos

Account closed
Lol, okay, well my first male nerd crush was on Roggi...and for females it's Aela. *just doesn't see the interest in Lydia*

I hate the sarcasm. When she was gifted to me, she basically was a slave. I expected obediance. I got snarky, rude "Teehee, you can't change my bow". She never saved me, she only got me found when I snuck. She had no personality. No traits. She had steel armor and a sword.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I never cared for her attitude. If I were a Thane and my Housecarl had such an insolent tone, I'd have her flogged.

That's right, you ARE sworn to carry my burdens! I will not suffer backstalk from the staff! :mad: And stop watching me sleep, creeper!

Haru17

Lost Falmer
She is the easiest, earliest follower to get (for the noobs who can't complete a painfully easy quest to get Faendal). She is probably the earliest female follower too, so there's that.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Here's my opinion of it:

Lydia is like a running joke in the Skyrim community to be honest. Sure she's a fairly decent follower for a new player, easy to get, and normally your first follower. She's not liked for her lines, looks, voice, personality, or any of that really. It's purely because of how she fits into the game-play for a lot of people, they tend to get her early on, give her better gear as they progress, not really get rid of her, and she just seems to grow on you.

Her popularity reminds me of Chuck Norris; he doesn't honestly deserve his popularity, but he has it and no one can really remember why or how he became so popular. It's not something to understand the 'why is it that way?', it simply is that way.

Rekamennos

Account closed
Here's my opinion of it:

Lydia is like a running joke in the Skyrim community to be honest. Sure she's a fairly decent follower for a new player, easy to get, and normally your first follower. She's not liked for her lines, looks, voice, personality, or any of that really. It's purely because of how she fits into the game-play for a lot of people, they tend to get her early on, give her better gear as they progress, not really get rid of her, and she just seems to grow on you.

Her popularity reminds me of Chuck Norris; he doesn't honestly deserve his popularity, but he has it and no one can really remember why or how he became so popular. It's not something to understand the 'why is it that way?', it simply is that way.

While that is funny and all, it bothers me and I don't get it, so I need to know. *dies*

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
While that is funny and all, it bothers me and I don't get it, so I need to know. *dies*
Well then, you may die in madness, because there isn't anything to understand. It isn't something you can understand. It simply is as it is. Trust me... I tried figuring it out myself...

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
She's not even the best looking housecarl (I think Jordis from Solitude is) but she is the first female follower, unless you completely ignore the main storyline. And you never forget your first...

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
I grew attached to her after she saved my neck a few times :confused:.

Unit7

For me it was simple. The game told me I couldn't have her. So I took her anyways. Though to behonest I am not sure if they ever fixed Lydia's marriage ordeal or was it taken out on purpose for whatever reason?

Honestly? I like Lydia. Although lately she has been acting rather odd. Saying things like "I hope you arn't planning any trouble." At least she usually calls me friend at the end.

The only issue I have with Lydia is the saracasm when you ask her to carry stuff... and let's behonest. That was fixed years ago thanks to mods.

I end up marrying her almost everytime. But I think I might break that tradition and find someone else... but who? I haven't a clue. :sadface:

Rekamennos

Account closed
For me it was simple. The game told me I couldn't have her. So I took her anyways. Though to behonest I am not sure if they ever fixed Lydia's marriage ordeal or was it taken out on purpose for whatever reason?

Honestly? I like Lydia. Although lately she has been acting rather odd. Saying things like "I hope you arn't planning any trouble." At least she usually calls me friend at the end.

The only issue I have with Lydia is the saracasm when you ask her to carry stuff... and let's behonest. That was fixed years ago thanks to mods.

I end up marrying her almost everytime. But I think I might break that tradition and find someone else... but who? I haven't a clue. :sadface:

oh my goodness.... see this is it. You guys act like there aren't dozens of NPC's you could marry, and with that, you have mods if youre on PC so I am sure you could make yourself the perfect husand/wife....So what if she if your first! In real life, hardly anyone ever stays with their firsts because they end up being douches to begin with, and for those that do, yay have a cookie! just saying Lydia is not that great, imo

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I got attached to her has a player. She is the first follower that I got in the game. Helped out a lot when I was a getting used to fighting multiple enemies. Carried my gear. Made random comments. It was nice. It made sense, in my mind and game, that my character fall in love with her. I never married her, however. She died. The only build I made that wanted to marry Lydia was Mina. Since then, Mina has become quite a monster without her lover. ;)

My other build Vlad is divorced. Camillia was such an annoying spouse. Holy hell! I can't stand her at all. "I'm so glad you brought the claw back." AHHAHAHAHHHH!!! I hate it! Too bad death is the only way to get a divorce in Skyrim, but it is what it is. I've grown quite found of Jordis the Sword-Maiden as of late, but marriage isn't on Vlad's mind.

My retired hunter build, Harker, married Ysolda. A simple and easy marriage. I hunted animals for gold and she ran the shop. A very domesticated Skyrim life.

My lastest build, Iandir, probably won't marry at all.

Lydia is the NPC I want to marry, but can't. She is Mina's, yet she is also dead. So I'll never marry her with another build. It'll ruin my RP with Mina. Ah, gotta love RPGs! ;)

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
She's not even the best looking housecarl (I think Jordis from Solitude is)
Funny thing there is that I'm pretty sure Jordis and Lydia have the exact same face and hairstyle, only with different hair and makeup colors.
The way Jordis talks freaks me out, though.
standalone

I've left her in Proudspire Manor with the Space Core to keep her company.

Rekamennos

Account closed
Funny thing there is that I'm pretty sure Jordis and Lydia have the exact same face and hairstyle, only with different hair and makeup colors.
The way Jordis talks freaks me out, though.
standalone

I've left her in Proudspire Manor with the Space Core to keep her company.

I'm coming to understand I guess I will never understand....*dies*

Neriad13

Premium Member
I love Lydia's sarcasm. She could have so easily been a completely unremarkable, flavorless NPC...if not for a slight inflection in the actor's voice. It's that tiny detail alone that pushes her over the edge into something great. Also, she shares a name with my deceased sister and also looks a little similar to her, so there's that too. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts