Looking to create classic D&D Cleric character

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Now I know it will be Restoration/Alteration and I'm thinking some Conjuration (antronach's, no necromancy) and avoiding destruction.

I picture him in monks robes with a mace, but could use some advice on:

1) Race? Altmer is always an option, but Breton seems very appropriate
2) Illusion - particularly with the calm and fear spells? Appropriate? Rather than kill them, get them to run away or ignore him
3) Shouts - does this seem like something he would pursue?

Any thoughts you have would be great. This would be something completely different for me. Dawnguard would be an absolute here, but I am not sure what his thoughts on undead would be overall. I certainly do not want him to be anything like the Vigilants.

AJK

You'll probably have to get over your follower aversion. Those characters were usually always about healing others.

Daelon DuLac

You'll probably have to get over your follower aversion. Those characters were usually always about healing others.
True, but it doesn't necessarily have to be followers. D&D Clerics weren't big on gangs of people. They were more monastic.

Katrin

Unrepentant Stormcloak Loyalist
I'm not familiar with D&D's rules, so I'm not sure if what I had in mind is quite what you're looking for. To me, clerics have always had something of a battle priest theme to them, sort of a middle ground between a priest and a paladin or Templar. Restoration is an absolute must, of course; holy magic is a staple of being a cleric, after all. For gameplay purposes Alteration is a good choice too, particularly for the armor spells. I also kind of view it as a "miracle" school, if that makes sense, given its general theme. Illusion I'm a little iffy on, since messing with peoples' heads doesn't strike me as something a cleric would practice, but calming spells seem like they wouldn't be too out of place.

A lot of the time (usually in other games), I also see clerics using shields in conjunction with their maces, or forgoing either in favor of a staff. For a Skyrim cleric, you could go the same route, and you also have the option of using a spell. Since you'd be so heavily invested in Restoration, you'll be quite adept at healing, but also at warding off undead enemies, thus making you a natural foe to vampires and draugr. I'd also imagine that a cleric would be inclined to oppose the daedra as well, since they're the closest thing to demons that exist in the Elder Scrolls universe. It's for that reason that I don't think Conjuration would fit the overall image of a cleric. If this were my character, I'd forgo it entirely.

Shouts... I'm a little iffy on Shouts. To me they don't seem to fit the cleric style, or any style beyond the classic Dovahkiin or similar. I'll leave that one up to you. And as far as your race goes, I think a Breton would be your best choice, followed by an Imperial. The reason I say Breton, aside from their proficiency in magic, is their resistance to it. A lot of the time, clerics (and many priest-like classes) are exceptionally good at combating other magic users, and I think the Breton races' natural resilience to magical attacks would be thematically fitting.

Daelon DuLac

I'm not familiar with D&D's rules, so I'm not sure if what I had in mind is quite what you're looking for. To me, clerics have always had something of a battle priest theme to them, sort of a middle ground between a priest and a paladin or Templar. Restoration is an absolute must, of course; holy magic is a staple of being a cleric, after all. For gameplay purposes Alteration is a good choice too, particularly for the armor spells. I also kind of view it as a "miracle" school, if that makes sense, given its general theme. Illusion I'm a little iffy on, since messing with peoples' heads doesn't strike me as something a cleric would practice, but calming spells seem like they wouldn't be too out of place.

A lot of the time (usually in other games), I also see clerics using shields in conjunction with their maces, or forgoing either in favor of a staff. For a Skyrim cleric, you could go the same route, and you also have the option of using a spell. Since you'd be so heavily invested in Restoration, you'll be quite adept at healing, but also at warding off undead enemies, thus making you a natural foe to vampires and draugr. I'd also imagine that a cleric would be inclined to oppose the daedra as well, since they're the closest thing to demons that exist in the Elder Scrolls universe. It's for that reason that I don't think Conjuration would fit the overall image of a cleric. If this were my character, I'd forgo it entirely.

Shouts... I'm a little iffy on Shouts. To me they don't seem to fit the cleric style, or any style beyond the classic Dovahkiin or similar. I'll leave that one up to you. And as far as your race goes, I think a Breton would be your best choice, followed by an Imperial. The reason I say Breton, aside from their proficiency in magic, is their resistance to it. A lot of the time, clerics (and many priest-like classes) are exceptionally good at combating other magic users, and I think the Breton races' natural resilience to magical attacks would be thematically fitting.
EXCELLENT! Thank you so much. That was extremely well thought out and really helps me to gell the character.

What are your thoughts on armor. Would monks robes really be appropriate or, like D&D a more heavy armor build.

Twiffle

And guess which school i'm going to suggest, , , , :D

Katrin

Unrepentant Stormcloak Loyalist
I knew I forgot something. :p

I'm not too sure, to be honest. When I think of a cleric, I imagine light armor at the very least, but none of the light armor in game has the right look I think. (Unless there's a set that I just haven't found yet, of course.) There's also the issue of armor interfering with the Mage Armor perk in Alteration, which kind of lessens the usefulness of the entire tree in my opinion.

From where I'm standing, you'll have to either use monk robes (or Apprentice level robes, I love the color scheme for them) in order to get the full benefit of Mage Armor, or wear something heavier. If you go the latter route, you'll probably have to find a mod that adds more...cleric-y armor to the game.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I guess you'd need to determine if you want the more monastic or travelling cleric idea or the "battle priest" concept.

In some ways, the Vigilants of Standarr are a pretty good starting point for the cleric in terms of robes + mace, and you could add Restoration for the Turn Undead spells and Healing spells. Add Alteration for the -Flesh spells to help your armor rating a bit more. If you want the Mage Armor perk, remember that you'll have to wear cloth boots and gloves, rather than armored ones. Illusion for Calm, etc is a nice idea as well. Alteration also has the nice RP-friendly Magelight and/or Candlelight spells, to help you "banish the darkness with your holy light".

For a battle priest, yes I would go Heavy Armor, mace and left hand free to cast spells, unless as Katrin noted above, you opt for a shield. With a little fussing, you could cast, then arm your shield, but that depends on how annoying you ultimately find that to do. A follower could be dressed in robes only, as a kind of acolyte in training; it would make you responsible for their well-being also and give you a reason to take the Healing Hands spell, for instance.

Breton is a good choice for race too; I used Imperial for Voice of the Emperor to calm foes.

For both, make sure you get Meridia's Beacon quest! For RP, always have some Healing, Cure Disease potions and Cure Poison potions available as well.

EDIT: to Katrin's point about armor, there is a mod that allows the assorted Mage Robes to be armored, so you can look the part whilst having a light or heavy armor rating: NEXUS link

Daelon DuLac

And guess which school i'm going to suggest, , , , :D
Alchemy? That's not a school! It's a way of life. Who has time for school when they're skipping across the landscape picking flowers all the time. :)

Daelon DuLac

I knew I forgot something. :p

I'm not too sure, to be honest. When I think of a cleric, I imagine light armor at the very least, but none of the light armor in game has the right look I think. (Unless there's a set that I just haven't found yet, of course.) There's also the issue of armor interfering with the Mage Armor perk in Alteration, which kind of lessens the usefulness of the entire tree in my opinion.

From where I'm standing, you'll have to either use monk robes (or Apprentice level robes, I love the color scheme for them) in order to get the full benefit of Mage Armor, or wear something heavier. If you go the latter route, you'll probably have to find a mod that adds more...cleric-y armor to the game.
Not really an issue for me. I loathe the skin spells, just a magicka suck to me (of course the same can be said for wards). I will probably go heavy armor. Dwarven should work quite well (the whole golden thing ya know) with a Dwarven Mace and perhaps Peryites shield at some point.

Daelon DuLac

I guess you'd need to determine if you want the more monastic or travelling cleric idea or the "battle priest" concept.

In some ways, the Vigilants of Standarr are a pretty good starting point for the cleric in terms of robes + mace, and you could add Restoration for the Turn Undead spells and Healing spells. Add Alteration for the -Flesh spells to help your armor rating a bit more. If you want the Mage Armor perk, remember that you'll have to wear cloth boots and gloves, rather than armored ones. Illusion for Calm, etc is a nice idea as well. Alteration also has the nice RP-friendly Magelight and/or Candlelight spells, to help you "banish the darkness with your holy light".

For a battle priest, yes I would go Heavy Armor, mace and left hand free to cast spells, unless as Katrin noted above, you opt for a shield. With a little fussing, you could cast, then arm your shield, but that depends on how annoying you ultimately find that to do. A follower could be dressed in robes only, as a kind of acolyte in training; it would make you responsible for their well-being also and give you a reason to take the Healing Hands spell, for instance.

Breton is a good choice for race too; I used Imperial for Voice of the Emperor to calm foes.

For both, make sure you get Meridia's Beacon quest! For RP, always have some Healing, Cure Disease potions and Cure Poison potions available as well.

EDIT: to Katrin's point about armor, there is a mod that allows the assorted Mage Robes to be armored, so you can look the part whilst having a light or heavy armor rating: NEXUS link
Since I'm not PC mods are out. I really do not want the Vigilan look. I just can't stand those robes (or any robes frankly). I like your idea about magelight & candlelight though.

NO FOLLOWERS! I simply can't stand them. They can never keep up, their mouthy and just plain annoying. My cleric will help anyone he can, but he will not have a follower.

I hadn't even thought of Imperial. That's a great suggestion, if for no other reason than the voice. Besides, I can never make an attractive Breton. Short, dumpy and dour are just not what I find attractive.

Absolutely on Meridia's beacon. Thanks for reminding me!

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Whenever I hear cleric I always think Heavy Armor, Blunt weapon (aka mace) and either a shield or spell (restoration) in the off-hand. I also think of him as a "leader" which generally means followers. Able to heal those around him and deal mortal blows with the mace while stopping the undead with powerful "holy" magic.

I did try a character like this and got to about level 20 before I lost interest. Like you I despise companions. If they're not getting in my way then they are busy stealing experience from me and had a bad tendency to not be around when I actually needed them. The build didn't necessitate having a companion, but the role-play did. I couldn't see such a character (lawful good?) as a lone-wolf. He would have friends and people willing to follow him into the depths of Oblivion because of who he was.

Daelon DuLac

Whenever I hear cleric I always think Heavy Armor, Blunt weapon (aka mace) and either a shield or spell (restoration) in the off-hand. I also think of him as a "leader" which generally means followers. Able to heal those around him and deal mortal blows with the mace while stopping the undead with powerful "holy" magic.

I did try a character like this and got to about level 20 before I lost interest. Like you I despise companions. If they're not getting in my way then they are busy stealing experience from me and had a bad tendency to not be around when I actually needed them. The build didn't necessitate having a companion, but the role-play did. I couldn't see such a character (lawful good?) as a lone-wolf. He would have friends and people willing to follow him into the depths of Oblivion because of who he was.
I suppose he would be useful in battle during the Civil War quests, but, perhaps I can RP him as the "Savior of Skyrim", simply wandering about clearing out undead, vampires and miscellaneous other unsavory characters.

I simply cannot get in to Followers for most of the reasons that you stated.

I would, however like to play him as someone who does not necessarily kill everybody he runs in to, thus the "fear" and "calm" of illusion. Unless they are undead or vampires, I wouldn't think he would really care all that much one way or another. Sure, bandits are bad, but their people trying to make a living too.

I wonder about animals though. Why would he be bent on killing them? They are true innocents. Perhaps Kyne's peace as a shout right off and animal allegiance. That would work.

As was pointed out, perhaps he would consider Daedra (and Antronachs) as evil? But I am having trouble with that as to the "why".

In my backstory, he doesn't worship the 9 and is a follower of Meridia more than anything else (perhaps also of Arkay (which would explain his loathing of the undead)).

I think I need to work on this.

Thanks all for the great suggestions!

khazan99

Oh good point about Arkay too, yes. Your character could start out by helping that forgetful priest of Arkay in Whiterun as a starting point.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Everyone else has mentioned Restoration, Alteration, their opinions on armor, Meridia's beacon, and imperial/Breton choice.

You yourself mentioned spellbreaker and dwarven armor.

I just wanted to mention conjuration for the "banish" spells, illusion for the rally/call to arms spells as they buff allies, and I'd like to mention that with a simple healing sell and a certain perk from the restoration tree, your mace becomes a non stop power attacking, enemy staggering tool of holy wrath.

Just a bit of advice, oh, and also, followers:p

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Dawnguard spells, useful against Vampires.

I did see a pretty cool build awhile ago. Wore Nordic carved armor, boots, gauntlets and Dawnguard heavy helmet.

2.SkaalCrusaderSideAttack.jpg

7.SkaalCrusaderTheBloodskal.jpg

So that could give you an idea of what to wear?

Daelon DuLac

Dawnguard spells, useful against Vampires.

I did see a pretty cool build awhile ago. Wore Nordic carved armor, boots, gauntlets and Dawnguard heavy helmet.

2.SkaalCrusaderSideAttack.jpg

7.SkaalCrusaderTheBloodskal.jpg

So that could give you an idea of what to wear?
That is really cool! Great idea. Thank you. So far he's only in Iron, but I haven't had much time with him at this point.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
just an idea, you said you wanted to make a cleric, in theory you could get a decent follower, and heal them while they do damage, cast flash spells on yourself so you have some armor rating while healing your follower, also toss out some paralyze and calm spells to do minor crowd control for your follower while he hacks and slash or cast spells depending on what follower you get.

Daelon DuLac

just an idea, you said you wanted to make a cleric, in theory you could get a decent follower, and heal them while they do damage, cast flash spells on yourself so you have some armor rating while healing your follower, also toss out some paralyze and calm spells to do minor crowd control for your follower while he hacks and slash or cast spells depending on what follower you get.
Absolutely agree. My idea of the cleric has definately evolved. I am more and more liking the build that I was sent of a female "cleric" like character that does not use weapons except in self defense and relies on her follower as bodyguard while she uses magics to eliminate the evils of the world. I'm not sure if the calm/pacify spells just for the purpose of opening them up for attack by the follower to protect him is really appropriate, but I certainly think they would serve a purpose in defusing situations. That's also why she is going to use a lot of turning and fear spells as well as pacifing animals so that she can avoid killing as much as possible. Hey, I may not be able to loot the bodies, but at least there shouldn't be a whole lot of innocent victims like I usually have.

Maybe this build will bring back my love for SR.

khazan99

Right on; definitely the support-class cleric idea of D&D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts