• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cole Train

I've seen many people play with restrictions or rules and I wanted to try this aswell but being the unimaginative person that I am, I can't think of any. So I am wondering if any member of this awesome community can help me? If the rules seem interesting enough I will try them and tell you how it went, maybe even make a report or something like that. thanks for listening haha :)

sprugly

Choose a archtype to stick to and let your restrictions come from that.

My next guy will be an almost pure mage and a nice guy.

So that means no smithing, only using swords and stuff if I'm really desperate, and no theft or killing innocents. I'm gonna start on adept but go to expert at level 5 and master at level 10.

That's me.

Sprugly

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Simple.......... Try playing with no Armor, Robes, Clothes & using only your fists, No Magic or Weapons, just your Fists.... It's fun & interesting.

mcfrg

Maybe you'll enjoy these:
  • Play on Master difficulty
  • Play as a pure mage. For me this means
    • no light armor (including masks)
    • no heavy armor
    • no bows, 1-handed -or 2-handed weapons. Staves are fine though.
    • perks only go into mage schools.
    • keep crimes at a minimum, including assaults and lock picking.
  • Don't reload/die every other minute. If you do, something is wrong. Play like it was an Ironman game, even though a few deaths here and there is allowed.
  • Don't powerlevel, like casting one spell over and over or similar.

AdrenaLiNv1

Playing on Master difficuly with fists only, well we all know how's that going to end up like. Besides, I don't think you'll be able to kill a dragon only with your fists, unless you're up to play half an hour just to kill it and you'd bring along hundreds of health potions lol.

Garvionuchi

Throughout the series I've always had an issue making custom classes, they end up too strong, min/maxing ect.

Eventually I found a way to experience it all: by having 10 characters.

While selecting a birth sign was...complied, in skyrim it's much simpler. I put perk points only into skills my current race gets bonuses too. Doing this you get to experience most of the possible types of play.

For me, when thinking of who to make "my mage" I would get stuck on whether it would be better to be a breton or a high elf, for example.

I found they each have their own style, the breton is defensive, the high elf is offensive.

In skyrim, my high elves main weapon is illusion, it lends to 9/10 kills. For breton, conjuration for 9/10 kills.

For melee it's a big more straight forward, generally against humans I go sword and board, for beasts 2h.
Depends of the details of the fight though.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
If you're playing on PC, add a few select mods:
- Mandatory eating (won't regenerate health/stamina/magicka without it, plus it adds more recipes, some cool changes to sleeping etc).
- Vulnerable to the elements, i.e. no more swimming around the arctic north sea in a full suit of metal armor for hours without repercussions (haven't tried this mod myself, but I hear it's great for those who want added challenge and realism).
- Custom difficulty. If Master feels too easy and your character has become overpowered, this is the solution.

Train

Is that all you got?!
You know, since going fists only on Master would be fun, it would also be very impossible lol! :p

Nope, sorry, not impossible, my build: Name: Raoh (from Fist of the North Star!) Khajiit, Heavy armor, enchanting, smithing. I'm not really that into playing this character because it's very hard to level up since there's no unarmed combat skill to increase, but other than that it works just fine. At lower levels it's actually quite overpowered, so it kinda' got boring real quick. As long as the heavy armor perk for punching is obtained before you get too far along in the game, then the character should stay overpowered...it becomes godly once you get some serious enchantments and your smithing is real high.

I ran through Bleak Falls Barrow in one of my fastest times, after that I felt there was no need to play this anymore since I knew where it was going (as stated above). Now, if I wasn't Khajiit...that would be a different story, but would also eventually become very powerful with enchanting, smithing, and that heavy armor perk. So no, not officially a challenging build, but certainly interesting, and I might revisit it some day and introduce some magic into the mix...that would allow for faster leveling, 'cause right now it's freakin' slow, I barely got to level 3 in a couple hours of total play time. Of course, I should have let the enemies hit me more to increase the heavy armor skill, I was floating like a butterfly the whole time, even in that heavy gear, they couldn't hardly hit me...then I'd sting like a bee...que the Rocky music! (now I have three references related to unarmed combat in one post...epic)

If you play on PC there is a mod that makes it so both you and all enemies do x5 damage. Might be pretty challenging on Master, and using only melee like S&S or 2h. just a thought
edit: also there is a mod that makes it so health doesn't regen, and food actually heals a good amount and gives other effects (carrots give you night eye for a little bit) and theres a mod that will take off compass, and lets you hold a map in your hand like a shield, so you can try doing a playthrough without using fast travel or the map at all.

perkecet

Nope, sorry, not impossible, my build: Name: Raoh (from Fist of the North Star!) Khajiit, Heavy armor, enchanting, smithing. I'm not really that into playing this character because it's very hard to level up since there's no unarmed combat skill to increase, but other than that it works just fine. At lower levels it's actually quite overpowered, so it kinda' got boring real quick. As long as the heavy armor perk for punching is obtained before you get too far along in the game, then the character should stay overpowered...it becomes godly once you get some serious enchantments and your smithing is real high.

I ran through Bleak Falls Barrow in one of my fastest times, after that I felt there was no need to play this anymore since I knew where it was going (as stated above). Now, if I wasn't Khajiit...that would be a different story, but would also eventually become very powerful with enchanting, smithing, and that heavy armor perk. So no, not officially a challenging build, but certainly interesting, and I might revisit it some day and introduce some magic into the mix...that would allow for faster leveling, 'cause right now it's freakin' slow, I barely got to level 3 in a couple hours of total play time. Of course, I should have let the enemies hit me more to increase the heavy armor skill, I was floating like a butterfly the whole time, even in that heavy gear, they couldn't hardly hit me...then I'd sting like a bee...que the Rocky music! (now I have three references related to unarmed combat in one post...epic)

you wouldnt continue to be overpowered. at the beginning of the game unarmed khajiit do more damage than most 1h weapons available. but with the heavy armor fists perk a khajiit can only get to like 60 damage at max. the perk only adds the base armor value of the gauntlets, so improving them does not make you do more damage. getting the gloves of the pugilist and disenchanting can get you i think about 30 more damage if your enchanting is good and you do both your hand armor and a ring. so i think you should play a little longer and see how difficult it will get, even by level 10 or 15 youll have a hard time killing anything id wager.

Train

Is that all you got?!
you wouldnt continue to be overpowered. at the beginning of the game unarmed khajiit do more damage than most 1h weapons available. but with the heavy armor fists perk a khajiit can only get to like 60 damage at max. the perk only adds the base armor value of the gauntlets, so improving them does not make you do more damage. getting the gloves of the pugilist and disenchanting can get you i think about 30 more damage if your enchanting is good and you do both your hand armor and a ring. so i think you should play a little longer and see how difficult it will get, even by level 10 or 15 youll have a hard time killing anything id wager.

You're on, I'll see where it goes then. Smithing will help because you can get deadric guantlets eventually. :p

perkecet

You're on, I'll see where it goes then. Smithing will help because you can get deadric guantlets eventually. :p

yes smithing will help you get better stuff. honestly, i wasn't thinking of that. daedric will do the most damage. you just wont ever be able to do anywhere near the amount of damage a weapon would do. as i'm sure you know, it doesn't take to much trouble to get a daedric dagger to do more than the unarmed damage cap. the cap is 61 as a khajiit, 46 for most other races. ive also heard that argonians do a bit extra unarmed damage, which i believe is said to cap at 56. i haven't found anything confirming that but have heard it more than once. i fail to see any real reason why this would be though.

perhaps cap is the wrong word as it isn't a value that exceeding offers no bonus, like the damage/armor rating caps. it is, however, the most damage possible no matter what. khajiit claws do 15 damage, plus the base rating of daedric, 18. the fortify unarmed enchantment caps at 14 and can only be applied to hands and ring. keep in mind that not only does improvement not effect the damage, but also there are no perks applied as well, other than fists of steel. a lot of people online seem to be really upset with that. i for one do understand it. the way i see it, the "real world" reason for the additional damage is due to the weight and density of the gauntlets. armor perks are supposed to improve the way you use the armor in some way. this would not make them harder or weigh any more. improving with a workbench is supposed to be improving the fit, making the armor more tailored to your body and such. this also would not make the gauntlets and harder or heavier. i believe this is Bethesda's reasoning behind the way unarmed works.

i am interested in hearing how this goes for you. please report back!

Train

Is that all you got?!

Sure will, I love a good challenge. It sounds like unnarmed with enchantments is basically like one-handed with no enchantments. When playing a pure warrior, it means I won't be enchanting anything at all, and unless I find some stuff to increase the 1h skill, I generally get capped at around 60. So maybe not overpowered, but not underpowered either since I've taken down many foes doing only 60 damage. I still say its a playable style...

Train

Is that all you got?!

It's official, fists only is a challenge on Master even as a Khajiit. The hardest part is the range, you have to be so close to an opponent to hurt them, and if they backpedal even just a tiny bit it throws it all off. If you could stagger your opponent, it might work kinda', but you still have the issue of range. It's not so much the damage that's holding you back, I'd much rather have an iron sword, at least I'd be able to hit them and stagger. It gets a little frustrating swinging at the air when fighting a mage or something, of even a bandit that decides it's a good time to back off for a second.

It's an interesting style, and very rewarding when you get an awesome kill cam, but definitely a challenge, no doubt. ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts