Lighting bug please help!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

RyanH99

I would call those updates really trustworthy and i dont even think they are illegal, just player made patches, but i get your point and thats fine by me. Let's just hope that bethesda sorts this mess out really soon so that there is no need for alternative routes to get this brilliant game playable again!
I just remembered another way to rollerback your update version. It didn't work for me (with windows XP) and it is related to another problem with patches but it might work as a temporary fix. heres a link http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Rollback-Your-Skyrim-Steam-Version-to-Before-Patch-1-2-237801.shtml
Hope this works!
I dont think I have the computer skills required to rollback my version unless it is very simple. I am just going to get Bethesda to fix this because some people might not know what to do. I hope that any of this advice on this thread helped people. I wish there was a way to contact Bethesda themselves not their tech support and tell them just what is going on. Haha, I am tempted to buy oblivion and play it until this is fixed. Thank you very much for the advice.

RyanH99

I would call those updates really trustworthy and i dont even think they are illegal, just player made patches, but i get your point and thats fine by me. Let's just hope that bethesda sorts this mess out really soon so that there is no need for alternative routes to get this brilliant game playable again!
I just remembered another way to rollerback your update version. It didn't work for me (with windows XP) and it is related to another problem with patches but it might work as a temporary fix. heres a link http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Rollback-Your-Skyrim-Steam-Version-to-Before-Patch-1-2-237801.shtml
Hope this works!
I dont know if i have the computer skills to get that patch. I guess I'll try

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
For those of you running Catalyst, a member alerted me to the fact that their 12.4 has come out. If you had been running the 12.3, it had known ugliness concerning Skyrim. See if you have that update then retry the game. 12.4 is supposed to have some fixes specifically tailored to Skyrim.

When people were getting graphical silliness with 12.3, one thing that had helped was to turn off anti-aliasing. Unchecking the anisotropic stuff helped some folks too. Let us know if any of this solved your issue and I'll try to look into it some more.

Dascoe

Hi Ryan,

I've been following this thread for a while and it has helped me a lot. I had rolled back my Skyrim to 1.3.10 by downloading the gerry-rigged patches from the pirated copy and had no problems. This morning I got the 12.4 ATI driver and updated Skyrim to 1.5.24 or what ever and everything worked great. I also have the patch from that Russian guy that lets you see fire properly. I can't find it or I would link it...

Anyway, thanks, and it's fixed as far as I can tell.
Cheers.

RyanH99

Im glad that helped you. When I go to the AMD website and install the new graphics drivers it says 12.3 on the version number. I already have that download. Does my graphics driver not get updated, or has it only gone to 12.4 for some kinds of drivers?:sadface: Anyways, if that works then I am very happy. I dont understand computers much so if there is some kind of download for just Catalyst or if I am doing something wrong by trying to update my drivers please help.
Thanks.

Hi guys im SO Glad im not the only one i have this problem i have had it for weeks now, i havent played since NOOOO! D: anyway i just went out for 2 weeks came bck and it was broken D:
Specs:
Quad-core HP pavilion
ATI Radeon 3600 graphics.
and 2gb of ram on the graphics card.

i really don't know what to do, sorry im adding to th people to reply to but i just need help. and also sorry i just cant add any help :sadface: Please reply. this post seems to be going nowhere just asking the same thing over and over

i also have the same problem i am glad to see im not the only one and i too hae a ATI... Radeon 3600. thanks guys i need help i havent played in 2 weeks!

Dascoe

Hi Ryan, and ThatElderScrollsPlayer. The 12.4 update of CCC ATI fixes this issue. I checked my drivers today Ryan and found that it says I am still on 12.3 as well, but I downloaded and updated. Most people think it is a CCC stats display issue and nothing more. There are many tools that show you what your driver really is. I am indeed running 12.4 even though it says 12.3. I run a old 3870 HD so the driver should defiantly support a 4200 HD :).

Here, for the both of you I'll try a step by step process of a driver update in two ways! :)

Way #1
Right click on your desktop or look in your system tray icons and bring up the Catalyst Control Centre (CCC)
On the left hand side, on the bottom there should be and Information, Click it and you'll see a drop down menu. Click on SOFTWARE UPDATE. And you will see CHECK FOR UPDATES. Do this and follow the instructions to update! :)

Way #2

AMD Graphics Drivers & Software – Download the latest drivers for your graphics products
go here :)
Follow the insturctions, if you do not know what BIT Windows is then go here Guide how to figure out if you have a 32 or 64-bit Operating System on your PC or Laptop? (under Windows 7)

Once you fill out the drop down menus you come to a list of driver packages, get the Catalyst software Suit and install.

That should fix all the woes. If not then it is beyond my simple knowledge.

Cheers!
Dascoe.

RyanH99

I'm giving up completely. This didn't fix my problem and I lag so much that I can't play even with the problem. I appreciate the help, but for me, the only solution is buying a new computer.

i did what you said dascoe and all my games have somesort of graphical bug now. :sadface:

im trying it now. hpefully it will work

Rickysay

Alright i have found the fix for this, the problem with this bug is because of the stupid shadow. Since we can't disable shadow by default. We are going to have to tamper with the SkyrimPrefs.ini through your \Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ folder. Look for these three lines and set them as such:
fShadowDistance=0.0000
fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000

Not only do i not get the scatch like bug on the lighting i also get an fps boost of around 5-10fps.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Removing shadows isn't really fix. People want to be able to get them to render correctly not remove them.

WhiteVulture

Hey guys I found a fix that worked for me and I made this account just to post it.
Go into SkyrimPrefs.ini (the C:\Users\(your name here)\Documents\My Games\Skyrim one) and at the bottom of [Display] you should see bDeferredShadows=1. Set it to 0.
Found this at: TriDef.com • View topic - [PROFILE] The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim (DDD) [DX9]
Hope this works for you guys!
I love you, I've been trying to fix this glitch for a month or more now, and you finally did it! Thank you so much!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts