Khajiit Mage/Warrior build?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Vidarr

Rather self-explanatory. I've really been wanting to create a Khajiit character that isn't the stereotyped thief / assassin.

I thought it would be cool to do some sort of spellsword / battlemage build with a Khajiit (even though lore-wise, they RARELY use magic as a race).

Any ideas regarding what skills to pick (armor, magic skills, alchemy/enchanting? etc.) or even Role-playing ideas?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bloodhawk71

another redneck nerd
You could try illusion conjuration with heavy armour and use bound weapons and jsut enchant your armour and if you want go into smithing a little

Vidarr

Nice, thanks. I've actually never used illusion before. I tend to prefer a more aggressive play-style, rather than support (which I gather is the primary use for illusion). I could be wrong, but I fell like it may end up becoming one of those skills that I have to FORCE myself to use.

Also, on a slightly seperate note (since you mentioned heavy armor), which armor-type do you think best suits a khajiit? (they don't have a bonus for either, but lore-wise I suppose it would be light armor)

Bloodhawk71

another redneck nerd
I've never tried illusion its just always been suggested and im a heavy armor man but if you using a khajiit who uses magic why not heavy armor too? makes since to me plus leading up to dragon armor it always has the lead in armor points. but i think it could be tat skill that just makes you laugh your butt off idk i might try it out sometime for fun if you do use it post on here how it goes

Vidarr

Yeah, thanks. Since most of the spells are calm and fear / frenzy type things, I usually just think "why not just hit them with my axe?" Anyways, maybe I will give it a try.
As far as the armor is concerned, I wanted to try and make a khajiit that fits as much as possible with the lore of that race, aside from being type-cast as a stealthy thief. Using magic is an obvious exception, as they supposedly have very little experience with it. Then again, there is J'Zargo at the CoW.
AND M'aiq - he's pretty mystical ;).
Supposedly Khajiit tend to use light armor, but you do also see quite a few in Skyrim with heavy. This becomes a much more difficult decision when I also think about the option of 'robes.'

Bloodhawk71

another redneck nerd
lol well what ever you try good luck magic just make sure you got some defense and if you got dragon born get the black book of changing winds so you can get a buff that keeps you from hurting you followers

Vidarr

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. (I'm getting Dragonborn soon)
Any more advice from anyone would still be appreciated...

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
This is just my opinion, but I think Illusion requires a certain playstyle or mindset to be truly effective. And that mindset is patience and sneaking. I think that's how you get most out of Illusion, although it could very well work with non-sneaky melee character, dunno. Never tried.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Hmm. Maybe to hold true to some of the typical aspects of a khajiit, implement daggers into your close-combat gameplay. Here are some perks/enchantments/techniques I think would serve you in a unique/fun way.

Armor - For a battlemage Ebony has always felt right for me. Pretty much any headgear goes with it since black is an easy-to-match color and/or non-color. Perhaps a mage hood? You could go down the old smithing route if you want a great armor rating. If you want light armor, I guess you could try dragonscale, or if you have the Dawnguard DLC, Ancient Falmer Armor could look cool.

Enchantments - This can get boring quickly, but you could reduce the cost of destruction by 100% on your headgear, ring, necklace, and armor (25% for each piece of equipment, of course) and the remaining enchantments to your taste. Maybe for your leftover enchantments you could add some health boosts, magicka boosts for remaining spell trees, or restoration reduction (Although free restoration becomes admittedly boring).

For close-combat, as I mentioned earlier, you could use dual daggers imbued with a paralysis enchantment, and then proceed to blast destruction magic at your paralyzed foes. Or if you're aiming for a more sword-and-shield type build, you could include alteration and blast a paralysis spell at your opponent, then rush in and hit them while they're down.

Not sure if this counts as a battlemage, but you could go for an armored tank type as well. For this I would recommend Smithing, Heavy Armor, Restoration, Conjuration, Enchanting, and Block. I tried it once and was having massive amounts of fun shield charging my enemies, summoning Dremora Lords, and throwing my shield up in purely defensive manner without taking any direct part in the fight.

Here are some loosely recommended perks that I think serve a battlemage well depending on the path you want to go down.

Block - Shield Wall, Power Bash, Deadly Bash, Disarming Bash, Shield Charge, Deflect Arrows, Elemental Protection (For the mage tank)

Restoration - Respite, Regeneration, Adept Restoration (If you don't plan on reducing the cost 100%)

Conjuration - Summoner, Atromancy,Elemental Potency, Twin Souls (Two is better than one)

Destruction - Augmented Fire, Augmented Frost, Augmented Shock, Destruction Dual Casting, Impact (My Favorite!)

Alteration - Magic Resistance (3/3) is pretty good, seeing as it's an all-around perk, and Atronach (Absorb 30% of the magicka of any spells that hit you) WARNING: Your conjuration spells will fail often if you have this perk. Not sure why.

One Handed -Armsman, Dual Flurry (If you want to go for a dual dagger build), Fighting stance, Savage strike

So sorry if I said too much!

AS88

Staff member
You could RP as an exiled Khajiit caravan guard, asked to leave the band and wander Skyrim alone, or take Kharjo with you. If you were to follow this I'd probably go for heavy armour and maybe bound weapons (the sword with 'mystic binding' is very powerful early on). After that its down to you, maybe throw some destruction and restoration in there, maybe some block.

If you take Kharjo and wear some heavy armour of your own, and have a summons at the ready, you'd be pretty useful in a fight, I imagine.

Also, you could RP that, as a pair of Khajiits, you're not allowed into walled cities unless on specific business (ie collecting a bounty then leaving again) especially if you're on PC and have camping mods. All your other business (armour, weapons, etc) would have to take place in the unwalled towns, maybe after paying a small fee to the guards as proof of your honest intentions. That is, if your intentions are honest, of course ;)

Vidarr

Thanks so much you guys. Just to clarify, I am on 360 so mods are not an option for me. I like a lot of the ideas out there- including the exiled caravan guard thing. I'm still trying to figure out which armor would best suit my khajiit.
I saw heavy armor mentioned quite a bit, which is definitely appealing... but... I tend to think about what it would be like in my race's homeland. In Elsweyr, do you think khajiits stick to light or heavy armor? I tend to think light, even though they technically have no bonus for either (in Skyrim anyways). hmmmm.... I am tempted, however, to go heavy as I tend to stick with light in all of my other builds barring a few.

As far as illusion is concerned, I'm still pondering that one.... I am more-so aiming towards a combat mage rather than a stealth mage. Maybe a mix between J'zargo and Kharjo!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts