• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skyrimosity

So I was at gamestop with a few spare dollars and couldn't find a game. I eventually saw the Oblivion GOTY Edition for 16.99 and decided to buy it. I get it home, put it in. 5 hours later, my eyes hurt from looking at the TV with the graphics. The graphics I can get used to, it's a 2006 game, graphic expectations should be set low. My main problem is that I DO NOT know how to level my character up. My character is a mage and I think the spell system in Oblivion really restricts Mages, much more Necromancer mages like mine. But still, I have kept playing. So yea, after 5 hours later, summoning skeletons and stumps (I think?) my conjuration is past level 50, I've moved up a few ranks in the fighters guild, have gotten 2 recommendations to the Arcane University, tried out the Arena for fun and won a match, and I am only level 2. I don't know why I'm level 2, I've leveled up Conjuration, destruction, and restoration, the major skills of my class (I think). What am I missing here?

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
You did say you didn't know how to level up, and I was responding to that. If you were referring to how to quickly level up, just be patient. My highest level oblivion character is like 25, you level a lot slower than in Skyrim.

Sent from HTC app Tapatalk

Skyrimosity

In that case, Martin Septim is going to ROT in Kvatch until the 4th Era rolls around...

Skyrimosity

All my money so far is going toward conjuration spells that do more than the little gremlin creatures (stumps?) Having a hard time making money though, don't have enough skill to murder someone and get into the DB, but since I guess you've played Oblivion, how do you get into the DB?

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Murder any random person and you'll get an on-screen notice, afterwards sleep in any bed and you'll be visited.

Skyrimosity

Also, guards in the game are a bit messed up I've noticed. I attacked someone in a stable while trying to get in, a guard comes running up, kills the person I attacked, then just walks away. It definitely surprised me.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Well, that sounds like a glitch. Aside from that guards aren't that different than they are in Skyrim.

Skyrimosity

Bit of an update: I'm level 5 now, I've gotten the hang of playing the game just ever so slightly better. I got conjure Dremora spell from the Mages in Chorrol, they're much stronger than scamps so I went into the Oblivion Gate in Kvatch and just kept summoning them and letting them do the killing. So I got the Sigil Stone, then rescued Martin and took him to that Temple. Then I went and retook Kvatch with Salvianus Martius. Now I'm mostly exploring the towns looking for small little quests to do so I don't have to walk all the way to the Mythic Dawn Shrine.

Skyrimosity

So this. Once I figured this out when I played Oblivion, the easier it became. :cool:
My major skills are pretty much everything having to do with magic, and since my character is a Necromancer, I made sure one of those skills was Conjuration. I'm also becoming a small time thief since I've picked up an open easy lock spell from Bruma Mages Guild. But yeah, I'm getting somewhat better at Oblivion, getting used to the leveling system (repeatedly using skill = level up of the skill? How did they not see the easy abuse of that when developing?)

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
My major skills are pretty much everything having to do with magic, and since my character is a Necromancer, I made sure one of those skills was Conjuration. I'm also becoming a small time thief since I've picked up an open easy lock spell from Bruma Mages Guild. But yeah, I'm getting somewhat better at Oblivion, getting used to the leveling system (repeatedly using skill = level up of the skill? How did they not see the easy abuse of that when developing?)

Well, I don't think I can just swing my sword in the air and expect my Blade skill to go up.

Skyrimosity

Well, I don't think I can just swing my sword in the air and expect my Blade skill to go up.
well yeah, but my character is a mage, so if I just kept summoning Dremora the skill would keep going up. I don't do that though, that is boring. Tired of looking at the TV playing which is the only reason I'm here right now. Oblivion's graphics hurt my eyes so I can't play too long continously...

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
well yeah, but my character is a mage, so if I just kept summoning Dremora the skill would keep going up. I don't do that though, that is boring. Tired of looking at the TV playing which is the only reason I'm here right now. Oblivion's graphics hurt my eyes so I can't play too long continously...

I've never heard of graphics in a video game causing eye damage. Unless they were flashing neon lights. I don't mind Oblivion's graphics, they are nice in their own way. The environments mainly.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
XP per cast is far lower then in skyrim

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts