• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sticky runes

VERY annoying when he gives me a suit of armor for delivering the message from Riverwood. If I'm playing a mage or a thief I don't want a clunky suit of steel armor. What if I don't even want to do any more fighting and I just came to give the message so I can go live a quiet, mundane life chopping wood or crafting tools somewhere? You'd think Balgruuf would just give a cash reward so I can spend it on something I want instead of something I'm only going to use if I plan to be a warrior.

LuChao

The Martial artist
I've had him give me either steel armor or a Light imperial armor I think its based on which armor rating is higher at the moment u turn it in

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Or you could load an earlier save and get a different reward, this kind of stuff is randomly generated according to your level.

By levelling up you improve chances of a higher levelled item.

xsneakyxsimx

If your Light and Heavy Armour skill is the same it defaults to Heavy Armour as a reward. I think with One and Two Handed weapons, it defaults to One Handed. And it is level dependant, I've had a character that I was about level 30ish get Glass Armour as a reward from Balgruuf. I don't think reloading in this situation would work. If you get the same reward with different characters it seems like there is a certain order for it.

sticky runes

When i played a Nord I received Light Imperial Armor (which you can find early in Helgen anyway) and when I played an Imperial I received Steel Armor. Imperials start off with higher heavy armor skills, right?

But the point is i don't want any fricking armor from Balgruuf. Just gimme some gold.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Maybe it's like when he gives you the Axe of Whiterun. Perhaps it is a symbolic gesture rather than a direct outpouring from his coffers. Maybe the armor symbolizes you as a defender of Whiterun.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
It would likely be named. But I dont see your complaints just cash out and you dont need to get bothered. Hell enchant that with some random soul gem you got and sell it to Farangar. You dont even need to leave the palace.

But I think it is for those warrior or thief types that need an upgrade but couldn't quite buy it.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
To me it wouldn't really make sense for Balgruff to just hand over cash. He's Jarl for goodness sake. It's all about symbolism. Armor and weapons from his own armory make so much more sense.

If I was Jarl:

I certainly wouldn't give you cash on the barrelhead since you really didn't do anything but show up. Even if you helped kill the dragon, do I give my own soldiers and House-carl cash? No. So why are you so special.

Just take the dern gift and shut up. Sell it if you want, buy the house if you want. Do whatever you want. I gave you what I would give anyone who helped out, other than that I don't care.

If you want cash for doing stuff, go talk to Ms. Maven and leave the actual Royals alone ya pointless commoner. Just be grateful we didn't run you through when you came wandering in to my court armed to the teeth and lookin' all skeevy.

sticky runes

If I was Jarl:

I certainly wouldn't give you cash on the barrelhead since you really didn't do anything but show up. Even if you helped kill the dragon, do I give my own soldiers and House-carl cash? No. So why are you so special.

Erm, their job is protecting you and your city, so I would hope they are getting paid. :confused:

I gave you the heads up about a dragon lurking near your hold that could come swooping down any minute to destroy one of your farms or lumber mills, crippling your supply of food and resources during a time of war. I went through a traumatic experience back in Helgen, I could have just gone in another direction and left your villagers to fend for themselves, but I came and spoke to you out of concern for your subjects. Some cash compensation wouldn't go amiss.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
If I was Jarl:

Erm, their job is protecting you and your city, so I would hope they are getting paid. :confused:

I gave you the heads up about a dragon lurking near your hold that could come swooping down any minute to destroy one of your farms or lumber mills, crippling your supply of food and resources during a time of war. I went through a traumatic experience back in Helgen, I could have just gone in another direction and left your villagers to fend for themselves, but I came and spoke to you out of concern for your subjects. Some cash compensation wouldn't go amiss.
And now you're dictating term! GUARDS! Arrest him! I'll deal with the Grey Beards.

No, wait. Let's just kill him now. Irileth, would you be so kind. Thank you my dear.

Ungrateful curr. As if we didn't know a dragon was about.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Anybody can alert him. And your argument for a "Better reward" is that you aren't a complete sociopath... And went to warn someone of a bigger danger.

As for trauma, I do agree you would be messed up psychologically to some degree. But that ties into not being a sociopath.

Honestly what I do like is that early on in the Elder Scrolls stories is that you do what any normal person would do, and then you are dragged into being something greater.

sticky runes

And now you're dictating term! GUARDS! Arrest him! I'll deal with the Grey Beards.

No, wait. Let's just kill him now. Irileth, would you be so kind. Thank you my dear.

Ungrateful curr. As if we didn't know a dragon was about.

Whatever. You're a crap jarl who makes your staff work for free. Go and get murdered by one of your kids :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts