Jarl Balgruf’s words seem familiar

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sorn Devra

Is it just me or does Jarl Balgruf of Whiterun say some familiar phrases??
If you’ve played Oblivion and entered the Arena as a combatant, then you’d remember what the announcer says at the end of each victorious, bloody death match: “Leave the arena now and rest, you’ve earned it.”

When the Western Watchtower is attacked by the dragon, a guard is called forth as a witness from the watchtower confirming the dragon’s presence there.
Jarl Balgruf proceeds to say, “Go to the barracks for some food and rest, you’ve earned it.”

At first I dismissed it as nothing because it’s just dialogue, so I’d be entertaining myself by looting the room of anything I could or doing parkour around the room until the words were finished being said, but it was on my 14th playthrough that I actually listened and recognized those words.
Was this actually intended to be something by the game-makers?? Or maybe I’m just hysterical because of re-playing Oblivion before re-playing Skyrim.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
It's an interesting coincidence, I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not. I think it would be cool if it was meant to be a little easter-egg put in by the developers calling back to Oblivion and the Arena. I have never noticed it either, and now that you pointed it out, I'm probably going to take more note of it every time.... I'm just gonna call it an easter-egg. :D

Nice observation!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts