It was Kyne not Paarthurnax that helped mortalkind

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rimfaxe96

I got my source from the wiki. Everything I have read about Kyne and Paarth suggests that Kyne influenced Paarth to help mortalkind. Take Kyne out of the equation and I wonder if Paarth would have betrayed Alduin. I have never killed Paarth before in my many playthroughs, this is the first time for me. Oddly enough, he didn't fight back, he just stood there and let me kill him.

I learned from self-made false statements and informed people correcting me that wikis aren't providing 100% evidence. In the end they're written by people like you and me, and have therefore the terrible ability to make mistakes.
And to be honest, a partisan wiki doesn't sound very believable to me.

As khazan99 mentioned, there was resistance before. Why we'll never know, I guess the dragons distrusted Alduin's own greed (after all he's supposed to devour everything, every single thing; wouldn't that include dragons to?)
But in the end, we'll never know, it's pure speculation. Everyone can have it his way.
And in the end Delphine and Esbern annoy the sh!t out of me, so I rather stick to the treacherous dragon and his minions.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I got my source from the wiki. Everything I have read about Kyne and Paarth suggests that Kyne influenced Paarth to help mortalkind. Take Kyne out of the equation and I wonder if Paarth would have betrayed Alduin. I have never killed Paarth before in my many playthroughs, this is the first time for me. Oddly enough, he didn't fight back, he just stood there and let me kill him.

I learned from self-made false statements and informed people correcting me that wikis aren't providing 100% evidence. In the end they're written by people like you and me, and have therefore the terrible ability to make mistakes.
And to be honest, a partisan wiki doesn't sound very believable to me.

As khazan99 mentioned, there was resistance before. Why we'll never know, I guess the dragons distrusted Alduin's own greed (after all he's supposed to devour everything, every single thing; wouldn't that include dragons to?)
But in the end, we'll never know, it's pure speculation. Everyone can have it his way.
And in the end Delphine and Esbern annoy the sh!t out of me, so I rather stick to the treacherous dragon and his minions.

It's not even about making mistakes on writing a wiki. It's about the overall lack of information. The lore has been purposely made vague and spotty for a reason. To allow players to draw their own conclusions and act accordingly. To encourage the use of the imagination and not hang on to a few vague little statements as gospel unless you choose to. Even if you took what little bit of lore available as gospel, it still doesn't change the fact that Paarth has changed his position on things and betrayed his brother. That much is a fact and it's all I need.

The wiki(s) on Kyne state that there are a few different ideas on how man learned the voice. One was that it was passed on through the 'daughters' of Kyne. The other is that Kyne manipulated and controlled Paarth. Yet another is that Paarth proclaimed himself a god and defected from Aldui. In my opinion, any one of these could be viable and I've decided that either way, Paarth is too dangerous to be allowed to live. Forget teaching man the voice, he could have put on a reflective vest and picked up all the trash in Skyrim to boot and he still wouldn't have payed his debt to man.

Anyone in the know knew that Alduin was coming back, including Paarth. Who also happened to foresee the coming of the Dragonborn. So where was Paarth when Helgen was happening? Where was Paarth when Alduin was crisscrossing Skyrim reincarnating dragons to kill man? He was hiding on a mountain watching it all unfold until the Dragonborn came up to see him. Further, he doesn't teach you anything valuable until you prove your strength to him. Once could easily infer that he is gauging your power before making his choice on whom to follow. Paarth did nothing proactive for man aside from teaching the voice and lore suggests that why he actually did it is up for debate.

I choose to believe that Paarth was manipulated on top of being an opportunist and until someone provides some concrete evidence proving otherwise, I will continue to make that assumption and kill Paarth with a smile. At the very least, he is a weak link. I don't like weak links, so he goes bye-bye for my own peace of mind.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Wow such hatred..I've never killed him and I don't plan to.Has the thought occurred:" hmm..alduin is first born of akatosh,hence probably immensely strong,better follow him or die" could be why paarthurnax did what he did?As for why he didn't try to stop alduin or his rampage,its simple:he isn't strong enough.While alduin was trapped and sent forward in time,paarthurnax aged and probably weakened.At least paarthurnax is upfront about his nature etc.The blades tend to keep secrets and honestly don't even fulfill their role as protectors to the dragon born but treat him/her as a lackey.Fluff the blades I say..

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
Paarthurnax helped me whenever I needed it, so why would I turn on him? For as long as your character's been alive he's been living peacefully atop the Throat Of The World, teaching the Way of the Voice. Besides, killing him means you cannot meditate on the words of power, seems a lot to sacrifice just to appease a couple of crusty old Blades.

LotusEater

Paarthurnax helped me whenever I needed it, so why would I turn on him? For as long as your character's been alive he's been living peacefully atop the Throat Of The World, teaching the Way of the Voice. Besides, killing him means you cannot meditate on the words of power, seems a lot to sacrifice just to appease a couple of crusty old Blades.

Personally, I don't kill him to appease anyone but myself. I can't stand Esbern or Delphine. My distrust in Paarth and what he may do in the distant future is more of a concern for me. I have no room for a flip-flopper in my ranks.

High King of Skyrim

Personally, I don't kill him to appease anyone but myself. I can't stand Esbern or Delphine. My distrust in Paarth and what he may do in the distant future is more of a concern for me. I have no room for a flip-flopper in my ranks.
So, you use him to gain the Dragonrend shout and other powers and then kill him when you've finished with him? Making you, by your own admission, a flip-flopper. :rolleyes:

LotusEater

So, you use him to gain the Dragonrend shout and other powers and then kill him when you've finished with him? Making you, by your own admission, a flip-flopper. :rolleyes:

How am I flip-flopping when I don't kill him until the Blades fill me in on his atrocities in the past? All I have to go on until that point is the Greybeards biased opinion of him. Once I'm fully informed by the Blades, I go kill him and make no bones about it. Anytime before that I'm ignorant to the whole truth. Try again.

Ivory

Let's Player
How am I flip-flopping when I don't kill him until the Blades fill me in on his atrocities in the past? All I have to go on until that point is the Greybeards biased opinion of him. Once I'm fully informed by the Blades, I go kill him and make no bones about it. Anytime before that I'm ignorant to the whole truth. Try again.

And the "Blades" are not bias with their clear hatred for dragons how..?

LotusEater

And the "Blades" are not bias with their clear hatred for dragons how..?

Of course they are. But what does that have to do with me? I make my decisions based on evidence. I don't receive the full story until the Blades give me their side. From there it's my decision. I've seen nothing indicating that the atrocities Paarth orchestrated against man are untrue. He's just been forgiven by certain individuals. I'm not one of em.

High King of Skyrim

LotusEater said: How am I flip-flopping when I don't kill him until the Blades fill me in on his atrocities in the past? All I have to go on until that point is the Greybeards biased opinion of him. Once I'm fully informed by the Blades, I go kill him and make no bones about it. Anytime before that I'm ignorant to the whole truth. Try again.

That's an easy one to answer. Just because the Blades have informed you of what Paarthurnax used to be is immaterial. You still, to use your words, 'flip-flop' when you betray him as he's done nothing but help you.

LotusEater said: I have no room for a flip-flopper in my ranks.

The irony of this statement amuses me and you can try and argue until the cows come home but save it, because I'm simply not that interested, you have yourself a lovely day. ;)

LotusEater

LotusEater said: How am I flip-flopping when I don't kill him until the Blades fill me in on his atrocities in the past? All I have to go on until that point is the Greybeards biased opinion of him. Once I'm fully informed by the Blades, I go kill him and make no bones about it. Anytime before that I'm ignorant to the whole truth. Try again.

That's an easy one to answer. Just because the Blades have informed you of what Paarthurnax used to be is immaterial. You still, to use your words, 'flip-flop' when you betray him as he's done nothing but help you.

LotusEater said: I have no room for a flip-flopper in my ranks.

The irony of this statement amuses me and you can try and argue until the cows come home but save it, because I'm simply not that interested, you have yourself a lovely day. ;)

Ok... this is getting borderline weird. You win. I'm an a-hole.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Paarthurnax's tyranny is on dragons, the way of the voice goes against their nature. They are how Akatosh made them.
There isn't anything to worry about Paarthurnax betraying mortals, it is more betraying Akatosh in a way.

Esbern and Delphine are merely following their oaths as Dragonguard/Blades for seeking the death of Paarthurnax.

Should be more worried about Dragon Emperor Tosh Raka and the Tiger-Dragon's Empire than Paarthurnax.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts