Isnt Talos like Jesus and Christianity and the Thalmor like radical Islam?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Volkihar

Vampire Lord, Champion of Molag Bal, Dragonborn
Jesus was a mortal Human who became God once he went back to Heaven and the Talos was a mortal human named Tiber Septim and when he died he became a God and the thalmor hate that because they dont believe that mortal man can become a God or Goddess and consider it blasphemy just like Muslims do so im thinking the thalmor are like radical muslims killing evey christian worshipper and destroying all things and statues and cathedrals related to Christianity even the Blades vs Thalmor sounds like Roman Crusaders vs Muslim Militants and the amulet of talos looks like a mixture between a cross and thors hammer

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
No, just no.

Apotheosis is common to many myths. The apotheosis of Heracles, for example, long predates that of Jesus Christ. Jesus was a pacifist while Talos waged countless wars to unify Tamriel under the Third Empire. They're about as far apart from each other as one could get in terms of subject figures of apotheosis.

I don't know why you would single out Muslims and associate them with the Thalmor either. Islam no more considers it blasphemy to worship Christ than the Catholic Church considers it blasphemy and heresy to worship any other god than the Christian god. Catholicism and Christianity has a far more entrenched history of intolerance, persecution and violence than Islam even to the point of persecuting different factions of Christianity. I also don't know where you got you're distorted view of history about the Crusades but the Christian Crusaders were the aggressors and invaders against long held Muslim territories which had previously co-existed peacefully with their Christian neighbors before there were several changes in power among the Christian nations in Europe. The Crusaders also massacred thousands upon thousands of Jews in a campaign of antisemitism, bigotry, intolerance and hatred. They had far more in common with the Thalmor that the Muslims did.

Anton Volkihar

No, just no.

Apotheosis is common to many myths. The apotheosis of Heracles, for example, long predates that of Jesus Christ. Jesus was a pacifist while Talos waged countless wars to unify Tamriel under the Third Empire. They're about as far apart from each other as one could get in terms of subject figures of apotheosis.

I don't know why you would single out Muslims and associate them with the Thalmor either. Islam no more considers it blasphemy to worship Christ than the Catholic Church considers it blasphemy and heresy to worship any other god than the Christian god. Catholicism and Christianity has a far more entrenched history of intolerance, persecution and violence than Islam even to the point of persecuting different factions of Christianity. I also don't know where you got you're distorted view of history about the Crusades but the Christian Crusaders were the aggressors and invaders against long held Muslim territories which had previously co-existed peacefully with their Christian neighbors before there were several changes in power among the Christian nations in Europe. The Crusaders also massacred thousands upon thousands of Jews in a campaign of antisemitism, bigotry, intolerance and hatred. They had far more in common with the Thalmor that the Muslims did.
Dagmar the crusades started because muslims started taking christian europe which was belonge to the holy roman empire and they started taking the holy land which also belonged to the holy roman empire . radical muslims mirror the thalmor greatly in skyrim from their theology and philosophy to their tactics in taking the empire

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Dagmar the crusades started because muslims started taking christian europe which was belonge to the holy roman empire and they started taking the holy land which also belonged to the holy roman empire .
No they didn't. The Holy Roman Empire didn't even exist when Arab Muslims conquered the lands from the Byzantine Empire (aka the East Roman Empire). :rolleyes:

Those lands didn't belong to the Byzantine Empire anymore than they did to the subsequent Muslim conquerors. Most of the territory of the preceding Roman Empire was acquired by conquest as well. The areas held by it and its successor Byzantine Empire which the Muslims conquered were held for only a little over a century longer than the Sultanates approximate four century reign over the same territory up until the time of the First Crusade. With the exception of Gaul (Spain), none of the land was in Europe and most of it was in Asia Minor. Gaul was taken from its Muslim rulers by the Reconquista, not the Crusades.

The Crusades were a series of invasions into Asia Minor long after the Byzantine Empire lost the territories to the Muslims ending over four centuries of peace, trade and commerce between the Sultanate and the Empire . Your attempt to mischaracterize the nature of the Crusades as anything but a campaign of conquest and religious intolerance is nothing more than fabrication.
radical muslims mirror the thalmor greatly in skyrim from their theology and philosophy to their tactics in taking the empire
The Arab Muslims that ruled over Asia Minor at the time weren't radical Muslims. Much of the time the area was ruled with great tolerance (certainly greater tolerance than the Christians behind the Crusades). Christians were allowed to conduct pilgrimages to various holy sites and live and openly worship within the Sultanate. It a was a time of peace and a time marked by tolerance by the Sultanate of its Christian neighbors and subjects which is why any comparison between the Muslims of the Sultanate and the Aldmeri Dominion are completely inappropriate while comparisons between the Crusaders and the Thalmor are far more on point.

You're entitled to your own misinformed opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts.

CaptMorgan72

Dagmar is absolutely correct on this. I too would say the Thalmor are like the Crusaders. I guess its just popular right now to demonize Islam.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
People need to educate themselves before making judgements on other races,religions,etc.It's how rampant idiocy and/or ignorance is born.

AS88

Staff member

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
You got it right, thats how their both portrayed, but most refuse to admit it for some strange reason, especially the imperial fanclub.. but if you listen to the full speech the priest gives in whiterun about uniting both sides its so simple to see the resemblance a child could understand, your 100% correct but i wouldn't talk about it on here, you'll just get a lot of hate unfortunately.

Patches

I smell a war coming on.
Let's close this before it gets violent...
But on the other hand... *sits on couch watching intently*

Patches

Ah, yes, indeed. I have some vampire cattle, and some poisons, and... pizza! I don't think you'd be interested in the first two, though :p
I smell a war coming on.
Let's close this before it gets violent...
But on the other hand... *sits on couch watching intently*

room for one more? I have snacks

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
I don't know if this has been said yet, but as far as I know Jesus didn't become God. God and Jesus are two separate entities. You do realize that you just insulted two major religions at the same time don't you?

Lord Aethok

The Aldmeri Dominion wanted Talos worship banned, but it looks to me more like that, because the Imperials are basically the Romans of Skyrim, and if in this context, Talos is Jesus, then the Romans (Imperials) are outlawing the worship of Jesus.​
But as I previously typed, the Aldmeri Dominion wanted Talos worship banned, but it seems to make more sense if you look at it with the Romans and Jesus thing, etc.​

NachyoChez

Your attempt to mischaracterize the nature of the Crusades as anything but a campaign of conquest and religious intolerance is nothing more than fabrication.

You're almost 100% correct, except for this line.

The Crusades, for the powers that started the mess, had nothing to do with religion. The King of England was starting to get tired of the church always interfering in his rule, so he began to make moves to weaken their position. The Church then started an invasion into the Holy Lands, and called upon 'all the faithful' to go fight the war. Those that survived would be grants lands and titles by the church, which the King had to honor. Essentially, they took the King's army away so he couldn't take their power, then gave power and wealth to those who supported the church to help ferment their power.

Faith was used as a weapon against the Christians as much as it was used to harm the Muslims.

Edit:
After letting it simmer for a minute, I realized I had more to say.

One of my closest and dearest friends is Muslim. Islam inspires him, and nearest I can tell, he's the most moral and upstanding person I know. He comes over to my home regularly for dinner, usually on the night we reserve for time to spend with family. That's how close we are. He also gets along famously with my wife, which is relevant because...

My wife is a Christian. She obeys the tenants of her faith more than most anyone I've met. She adores both my Muslim friend and my gay friend; she understands the messages of her religion well and knows that she is commanded to love those people because they don't know her faith.

Neither side teaches intolerance. Radical fanatics who take single lines completely out of context then build followers around those lines teach it. Faith is not evil, but many evil things have been done in the name of it.

Anton Volkihar

No they didn't. The Holy Roman Empire didn't even exist when Arab Muslims conquered the lands from the Byzantine Empire (aka the East Roman Empire). :rolleyes:

Those lands didn't belong to the Byzantine Empire anymore than they did to the subsequent Muslim conquerors. Most of the territory of the preceding Roman Empire was acquired by conquest as well. The areas held by it and its successor Byzantine Empire which the Muslims conquered were held for only a little over a century longer than the Sultanates approximate four century reign over the same territory up until the time of the First Crusade. With the exception of Gaul (Spain), none of the land was in Europe and most of it was in Asia Minor. Gaul was taken from its Muslim rulers by the Reconquista, not the Crusades.

The Crusades were a series of invasions into Asia Minor long after the Byzantine Empire lost the territories to the Muslims ending over four centuries of peace, trade and commerce between the Sultanate and the Empire . Your attempt to mischaracterize the nature of the Crusades as anything but a campaign of conquest and religious intolerance is nothing more than fabrication.
The Arab Muslims that ruled over Asia Minor at the time weren't radical Muslims. Much of the time the area was ruled with great tolerance (certainly greater tolerance than the Christians behind the Crusades). Christians were allowed to conduct pilgrimages to various holy sites and live and openly worship within the Sultanate. It a was a time of peace and a time marked by tolerance by the Sultanate of its Christian neighbors and subjects which is why any comparison between the Muslims of the Sultanate and the Aldmeri Dominion are completely inappropriate while comparisons between the Crusaders and the Thalmor are far more on point.

You're entitled to your own misinformed opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts.
maybe I was wrong but I was only talking about the simularities between militant islam and the aldmeri dominion like man becoming a God and all that

Anton Volkihar

I wasnt talking about every detail I just meant the destuction of statues and churches and the killing of talos worshippers

DustyMayFire

Skyforge apprentice
I believe this thread should be closed (if threads can be closed on this site) because all this conversation will do is create more anger/disagreements and it'll turn into a never ending thing. All sides had their good points and facts, and this is a matter of opinion so it should end before people get angered or insulted.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I don't know if this has been said yet, but as far as I know. Jesus didn't become God. God and Jesus are two separate entities. You do realize that you just insulted two major religions at the same time don't you?
No, you're wrong on this one, our Savior was GOD in the flesh, the scriptures give reference after reference to this, as its written "And the word became flesh" "He dwelled in the world which He Himself had formed yet the world knew Him not" i could literally post hundreds of these references but i won't. The most basic example of this is understanding what the name "Jesus" actually means, in Hebrew its pronounced "Emmanuel" and in Hebrew it literally means "GOD with us". There are many religions which believe what you're saying but they're far from biblical and consist mostly of traditions and i don't know about you but i prefer to listen to what the actual scriptures teach, not man.
I'm not gonna argue this with you btw nor will i respond to anything on this thread as its wayyyy too heated, i was just letting you know.. if you don't believe me look it up yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts