PC Is there really much difference between graphics settings?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hi there

I've been playing Skyrim on a 2011 iMac running Bootcamp (not an emulator, but part of the hard drive is partitioned and actually running Windows 7).

It's a great machine, but the graphics card is only an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB.

Now, this graphics card is actually more than enough for any game when the computer is running through Mac OS. For example, 512mb is the recommended graphics memory for Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 on Mac (compared to a recommended memory of 1024mb for both these games on PC) and both of those games run perfectly for me at the highest graphics settings on this machine (better than they do on Windows, on the same computer).

However, when it is running Windows through Bootcamp, I can only play Skyrim on the Low quality graphics setting... maybe Medium at a stretch.

In any case, I've clocked countless hours on Skyrim with this setup and I've never really felt any detriment from the lower graphics settings.

My question is this: Is there actually much difference between the graphics settings for Skyrim? The game is undoubtedly beautiful no matter what setting you play on, but am I missing out on much by only experiencing the game through the lower end of graphics settings?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Rimfaxe96

Can't tell because I always play on the highest setting. :D

That does look quite nice, but I'm not sure I'd ever have the time or inclination to install "over 150 mods" to achieve it.

jarif

That does look quite nice, but I'm not sure I'd ever have the time or inclination to install "over 150 mods" to achieve it.

you don't have to, its a ENB mod and installing over 150 mods doesn't take that long and after a while it becomes a bit of a addiction, one mod after another

you don't have to, its a ENB mod and installing over 150 mods doesn't take that long and after a while it becomes a bit of a addiction, one mod after another

Interesting.

I admit I am just seeking some comfort on this because I am at somewhat of a crossroads at the moment. I use my machine for many things other than gaming and for me all of those things are better achieved by using a Mac. Gaming is just its downfall. Unfortunately, and infuriatingly, you're not able to replace the graphics cards on any of the new Macs, so if I want to upgrade graphics I have to buy a new computer, and I just don't really have a spare 2.5k lying around at the moment!

So I am undertaking a risk/reward analysis of the situation. If the gaming experience is only marginally improved by increased graphics capability, it simply wouldn't be worth it to upgrade, so that's basically why I'm asking this question.

jarif

Interesting.

I admit I am just seeking some comfort on this because I am at somewhat of a crossroads at the moment. I use my machine for many things other than gaming and for me all of those things are better achieved by using a Mac. Gaming is just its downfall. Unfortunately, and infuriatingly, you're not able to replace the graphics cards on any of the new Macs, so if I want to upgrade graphics I have to buy a new computer, and I just don't really have a spare 2.5k lying around at the moment!

So I am undertaking a risk/reward analysis of the situation. If the gaming experience is only marginally improved by increased graphics capability, it simply wouldn't be worth it to upgrade, so that's basically why I'm asking this question.

you don't need to spend 2.5k. You can easily get a good desktop for £500 also graphics can help the immersion and having a lot of fps can be really helpful like for example, you play on Ultra settings and you see a deer very very far away and you get your bow out to shoot it, aka the field of view

Manmangler

Yes there is difference. But is it worth of money?

-Without mods Computer made good parts about £ 500 is enough
-With mods there is no limit, ENB, tons of graphics mods (You get easily used over 3 GB graphichs memory
-ENB and some mods need power from GPU, not only memory

Personally I handselected tetures from different packs.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts