"Is that fur..." after cure bug

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Albions_Angel

Hi there.

New here but had Skyrim for ages. I havnt played it since 1.2 though (burned out really fast >.<) Want to try an new character so I am starting fresh. I want to do the companions quests but before, I got tired of being cured of my beast form but still having to put up with the damn guards saying "Is that fur... growing out of your ears?" and "You smell like a wet dog" etc etc etc. I mean, I was cured!

Is that now fixed (ie, will they stop saying that if I cure myself on my new character) or is there some way to delete those phrases from the game (or just replace them with some of my favorites) or can I complete all the main companion quests, become the harbinger and not be a damn wolf?

I love Skyrim but it does have a habit of not noticing what you are. You can have one guard notice that you are the dragon born, archmage, chief of the assassins, harbinger and thane, only to have the one next to him but in and ask you if you fetch the mead. And when they get it wrong (as above) it breaks my immersion completely. So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated and would make my gaming experience 100 times better.

Thanks

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
It hasn't been patched and there is no fix that I have ever seen or heard of... Besides one... KILL THE GUARD! Cut him open, cook his heart, make him eat it, feed him to his loved ones, kill his loved ones one by one forcing the rest of them to watch you as you kill and cook them as you make them eat the rest one by one and when you get to the last one... Let them live. They will now have to live for the rest of their pitiful and blood stained lives with the mental scarring from the horror you put them though. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Geeeez Squirrel your so... SADISTIC, me likey. XD Guards deserve it anyway. Annoy little living toy soldiers.

Albions_Angel

Thats really really annoying. I wish they would do an update of just small fixes and nothing else. Lets be honest, if you know the code, its probably a half hour fix. Its not a big bug like permanent fireballs or random dragons falling out the sky. There are loads of small bugs like that. The first guy you see shot, right at the beginning, spazes out. That could be scripted seeing as you cant move at that point. Reappearing dead spouses could be fixed. Just small things that keep immersion. As it is, it looks like im gunna have to go into the game files and delete those voice clips. Would it be so hard to just have the game check if the curing quest is in my "completed quests" file and then lock down those quotes?

I love the game (even if it does get a little boring after a while) but RPGs need to feel alive. If I am a thane of the town, the dragonborn, archmage, etc etc, guards wouldnt be talking back to me. Some of the quotes are nice and friendly, some of them funny but being told constantly that I am a werewolf when I havnt been for months just gets annoying.

If anyone has a fix (that doenst involve breaking more immersion by slaughtering everyone i see) I would love to hear it. It would be nice to role-play an RPG game for once and the elder scrolls is close to the formula. Just get rid of the damn bugs. Please.

Dabiene Caristiana

Yea, but last time I checked you can only do that on PC. Unless I'm mistaken. someone could have hacked/loaded the code and tinkered with it on XBOX then reloaded it. How I don't know. I'm not exactly a tech girl :p

Albions_Angel

Good job I have a pc then isnt it? But the devs should be on this. DLC is nice, but they tend to forget simple fixes. Its not just a skyrim thing. All games do it now. No game is ever perfect but they only end up fixing the game breaking bugs. Fine, your game is now stable, but just because the fix is easy doesnt mean its worth ignoring. Sure, us PC guys can perhaps fix it ourselves, but you just said it, its annoying for console players as they are stuck waiting for an update and then have to play it casually as you just cant get immersed. I could bet you that the bug im describing is probably solved by editing one line of code. But for just that reason its a case of "Oh, ill get to it later". I hate console wars and love when a game works well cross platform. Skyrims combat is a bit flat for pc but the game as a whole is nice on all platforms. But not fixing mini-bugs drives more of a wedge between the platforms because more often than not, pc users will either patch it themselves or get pissed off while console users will get annoyed with the stupid errors. I just want it to work :sadface:

BTW, Alucard? As your vamp char? Nice :D Either a castlevainia or Hellsing fan? Could be something else but those are the most common appearances. Nice touch.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
It's a design flaw. There are never any real consequences for anything you do. In the beginning of the game you're about to be executed for attempting to cross the border but later if you murder someone they'll let you go if you pay a fine of 1,000 gold. :rolleyes:

Albions_Angel

You are failing to see my point. Its not about consequences. Its about enjoyment. It matters to me that if I go to the trouble to cure my guy of werewolfism just so I can complete the quest line I dont want to be told, over and over again, that I didnt do it. In just the same way that I choose not to pick up the damn rotating stones because for some stupid reason you cant sell them and not get drafted into the thieves guild. I spend my time as an imperial ranger, killing damn thieves. I dont want to control their society. I want to destroy them but Im ok with not being able to as I can ignore them. What i cant ignore is a guard going out of his way to tell me I have furry ears. Thanks for the options though. Its a shame its not been patched in the 10 patches they have out. Ill just delete the files.

Dabiene Caristiana

here's a thought: Mute the game when the guard says that and unmute it after he says it.

Then, when he's sleeping, slit his throat, gut him like fish, and strangle his family with his intestines and stuff his liver down one of the family members throats!

Wow, I am very, very morbid. :3

Bug just be lucky that isn't the worse bug... there are worse bugs out there. Like a continuing health draining soul cairn that goes with you for the rest of the game.

And plus, guards are stupid, they will comment on anyones looks just out of their enjoyment, not to get killed (Dagon's dagger) or to make themselves feel better cuz lets just be honest. All they do all day is stuff their faces full of sweetrolls and walk around the streets going 'no lolli-gaggin'. :D

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I didn't fail to see your point. There's an overall design flaw to the game. What you do in the game is generally not recognized to have consequences in the game whether it's reflected by paltry fines for capital crimes or lack of consistent dialogues to acknowledge what you've accomplished in the game. It all undermines immersion.

The way the dialogues for the guards work is flawed. As you accomplish certain milestone achievements the guards receive additional dialogues but they never lose any of them. That's why you're acknowledged as the Harbinger from one guard while another will ask if you fetch the Mead, and why you'll never get rid of the fur growing out of your ears comment. In general no NPC sheds a possible dialogue choice once it's there unless it's part of a quest which is why Farengar will suggest you visit the College of Winterhold after you become the Archmage and are standing in front of him in the Archmage of Winterhold's robes, why NPCs in Windhelm will continue to talk about the murders and the killer as if he is still at large, and why NPCs in general will still talk as if the civil war is going on after the war has ended. It's a design flaw and as such it will probably never be fixed because it's working as intended.

Albions_Angel

Ah, thats where you are coming from. Just because something works as first intended doesnt mean it isnt wrong. To be honest, all the derpy deaths in skyrim work as intended, ie, obeying the physics laid down in the code. Still derpy. Still broken. Im scared of saying what I want to on a skyrim forum because I dont want to get shouted at but I do agree with the idea that skyrim is an ocean with the depth of a puddle. I love it but the more i focus on the little bits, the more it seems empty. Theres great overall lore and attention to graphical and historical detail. There is very little attention to things like dialogue beyond questing. It upsets me that an RPG maker would do that. Especially one that gave us the other Elder Scrolls games. If RPG isnt about immersion, what is it about? Like i said, I can fix it myself, but its like trying to plug a hull breach with ducktape. It'll do the job for a while, but eventually its gunna bug me as much as the original problem. Sorry guys. Didnt mean to rant. But its worth me saying it.

Dabiene Caristiana

Meh, happens. I get what you're sayin though.

But you have to admit, games and the real world are alike in this way: It can't be perfect.

There's gonna be flaws and mishaps. But what you said about the dialogue, I very much agree. But again, it already has so much content. Plus tons of fans. It's like trying to keep a mob happy by throwing steak and candy and fixing the original reason for said riot at the same time.

Although I agree they should stop adding more content through DLC and just make updates to fix all the problems, not all of em are gonna get fixed. People can only do so much. Yea, they have a staff to fix bugs and stuff, but still, it's one per each person they have. It would take a while to fix all the bugs yes, but will it be worth it in the long haul? You can find bugs everywhere and anywhere. I find the most weird bugs at times. But not major ones that people seem to have (quest not finished except Blood on the Ice, that one is bugged to hell, Health continuing to drain in soul cairn, dragons flying backwards or not flying correctly, clipped armors, looped dialogue text so that the quest wont continue or start, random occurances where the quest wont start, exist) and if any of those things happens, I fix it myself by sheer luck (I'm on XBOX) and it works most of the time. Except blood on the ice. My Irish luck goes out on that one. :/

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
Since I'm on PC I created myself a mod to make the guards stop saying that about the ears and so far it seems to work. The info on how to do it was in this thread. I think I may have also managed to make them quit talking about fetching the mead with another dialog edit. I can't share this mod because it's not finished (and dialog tweaks aren't all that I'm doing), but so far it seems to be working. Here's the settings I used in the dialog about the mead that should help if you want to take a stab at it yourself. PICTURE

If you're on the PC but not wanting to edit, then I can recommend a mod called "No NPC Greetings" that will stop most random comments. You can still get comments by initiating conversation.

Edit: Another idea might simply be to check the box that says "say once" and then save it as a new mod with no other changes.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I didn't fail to see your point. There's an overall design flaw to the game. What you do in the game is generally not recognized to have consequences in the game whether it's reflected by paltry fines for capital crimes or lack of consistent dialogues to acknowledge what you've accomplished in the game. It all undermines immersion.

The way the dialogues for the guards work is flawed. As you accomplish certain milestone achievements the guards receive additional dialogues but they never lose any of them. That's why you're acknowledged as the Harbinger from one guard while another will ask if you fetch the Mead, and why you'll never get rid of the fur growing out of your ears comment. In general no NPC sheds a possible dialogue choice once it's there unless it's part of a quest which is why Farengar will suggest you visit the College of Winterhold after you become the Archmage and are standing in front of him in the Archmage of Winterhold's robes, why NPCs in Windhelm will continue to talk about the murders and the killer as if he is still at large, and why NPCs in general will still talk as if the civil war is going on after the war has ended. It's a design flaw and as such it will probably never be fixed because it's working as intended.

I fully agree with you on ever aspect of this. The immersion is ruined by the lack of consequence, and acknowledgement of your accomplishments. Still can wish for a fix for certain flaws can't we?

The removing of Guard dialogue really can be fixed with almost literally one extra line of code as you progress. I do have some programming knowledge and assuming the dialogue usage is simple moved from being [false] to [true](which is the only efficient way to program it) when you cross a mile stone, doing so in reverse when you cross a mile stone making it obsolete would an additional line of code tacked onto the end of another line. (i.e. the trigger Harbringer acknowledgement line could have a disable "fetch the mead" line at the end. I haven't really bothered with the companions on many saves so I don't know all the guard lines it triggers and when.) The real issue is finding the part of the game that does that and the required files that need to be modified.

I lack the game for PC so I can't make a mod to add these lines of code into the programming, however Bethesda could possibly include this as a minor patch if there is the demand for it. Now other dialogue would take more work, such as the War dialogue or the, but it's a matter of telling the game to not select one of multiple random dialogues from a list when certain milestones take place.

But damn is this game full of flaws. Either there is a bug, or a logic flaw in nearly ever aspect of it. I hope that in TES6 (if they make one) they take the time to tidy up some logic flaws from Skyrim. I blame it on a combination of not taking enough time to screen through it, the fact that so many people in the development team have to work on their own pieces then try to make them work as a whole (which I know is a nightmare with just 5 people), time restraints, and just not giving a damn about such tiny details.

My programming instructor gave me some wise words "One man could program anything of any size and it would be flawless and bug free, if you gave him the decades it took to do it. A team of programmers could make the same program with the exact same functions and features in a fraction of the time, but it would take them centuries to make it bug free."

Albions_Angel

Thank you for the pages, Gehenna. And thank you all for being so understanding. Too often I will ask a critical question on a forum and get shouted at for being a troll. Irony is apparently lost on the internet. I do understand that games will never be glitch free. But they can still be immersive. Valves fix is to bring out hundreds and hundreds of patches and its resulted in games with few mainstream glitches. Thats not to say there arnt bugs but 9 times out of 10 when you play though normally you wont see one. So immersive players arnt hurt because the glitches only exist when you try to go outside of normal operational parameters. But the bigger the game, the harder it is. Its just upsetting when it happens in an RPG. Because if you cant roll play in an RPG, well its just a sandbox then and thats not why I payed £60 on launch for it. But now I have a fix :) Its a rubbish one and I probably wont join the companions anyway with this character but at least its there if I change my mind.

If anyone finds anything else, please keep posting. And if a mod comes out that overhauls the speech to a degree that holds continuity then please post it here too. It would make my day.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts