• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I loooooove Oblivion. Was the first RPG I ever played. :) Been considering popping it back in, actually (but that would require getting off my butt and taking Charlie Brown Christmas out of the Xbox). I agree with everyone else, get the GOTY edition cause Shivering Isles is amazing. Sheogorath is my homeboy, for real. ;)

Plus, the scenery is better in Oblivion than Skyrim. But that just might be because I hate snow...

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I loooooove Oblivion. Was the first RPG I ever played. :) Been considering popping it back in, actually (but that would require getting off my butt and taking Charlie Brown Christmas out of the Xbox). I agree with everyone else, get the GOTY edition cause Shivering Isles is amazing. Sheogorath is my homeboy, for real. ;)

Plus, the scenery is better in Oblivion than Skyrim. But that just might be because I hate snow...

Ah someone else who hates snow! Yay! But I honestly didn't care much for Shivering Isle's. I found Oblivion to be an okay game and fun but not great. Daggerfall and Morrowind remain my favorite of all of them so far. But they each offer something fun to do. :)

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Ah someone else who hates snow! Yay! But I honestly didn't care much for Shivering Isle's. I found Oblivion to be an okay game and fun but not great. Daggerfall and Morrowind remain my favorite of all of them so far. But they each offer something fun to do. :)
I'm breaking my rules and downloading Morrowind when I get my next paycheck. I gotta have something to do between classes next semester that isn't homework. :D

Sid

The fairly crap Pokémon trainer....
I still play Daggerfall. I don't buy into the whole 'newer is better' stuff. If we didn't have these great classics, we wouldn't have games like Skyrim. So yes, I think you should go back and give all the earlier Elder Scroll games a try if you are able to. :)
Thank You! Some who agrees on me with the "Newer is Better" stuff as you put it. You could get any of the games previous to Skyrim and enjoy them much. For Instance I'm buying a Laptop primarily to play Morrowind on. All I'm going to mod it with is Betterbodys, Keyring and Overhaul 3.0.

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
I played Skyrim first, and it was my first Elder Scrolls game. Then I got Oblivion, and it was an extremely different experience. From a role-playing standpoint, it's a lot better, and very playable.

SherlockJones

I'm where you least expect me, THERE! no not there
Even though Skyrim is an amazing game, my heart still belongs to oblivion and chances are always will.

Here are my PERSONAL thoughts on the subject

Main quest: Oh no , Patrick Stewart is dead! we have to find his long lost son and start gathering artifacts to stop a malevolent god, without going too much into it, the main quest is a bit of fun, probably about 8-9 hours of game play in this if you are speeding through the main quest.While not dragons, it is a jolly old romp through the plane of obivion.

7/10

Side quests: Here for me Oblivion really comes into it's own, the quests in oblivion are absolutely huge, I spent a good 14-15 hours plowing through each individual guild. You definitely won't be starved of something to do in oblivion. From the arena to the mages guild by way of the dark brotherhood. Theres a guild for every type of player.

10/10

Combat:....is ok, Skyrim has it pegged here, definitely not as fluid.

Enemies level up with you, so in theory if you so wish, you could in fact take on the main quest and defeat a level 1 god :D or wait a little while and get your arse handed to you. Your call.

7/10

Conclusion

Definitely playable, however don't go into it with skyrim based expectations, treat it as it's own game with the respect it deserves and you will have an absolute field day, trust me.

Sherlock

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I always enjoyed Oblivion, I felt the guild quest lines were better and I liked at the end of the Fighters Guild you told them what to focus on etc like Recruitment or Questing even both.

Skyrim is a great game but they kind of made it a bit dumb down in terms of skills. It became less roleplay more action in my personal opinion. Besides I miss my fort, I enjoyed owning my own little fortress, I just felt Oblivion had more roleplay advantages. Besides charging into an Oblivion gate and hacking and slashing down daedra, then eating their hearts as a warning to the rest of them is always jolly good fun.

Sure skyrim has mammoths and giants, but the minotaur was one mean mofo, that and ghosts used to freak me out with their heavy breathing then screeching as they charge at you, bad for a mage if you got hit by one of their green spells which wouldn't allow you to cast any magic.

Oblivion is great, if you had a high negative reputation I think? Bandits wouldn't attack you but would be friendly.

Ilrita

The Imperial Storm
Definitely play it. I still love my Skyrim, but the older games are so worth playing. I actually like Morrowind more than Oblivion, but that doesn't mean the game is bad. The experience of playing Oblivion is vastly different from Skyrim, but nothing bad. The role-playing aspect of the game seems to be more present in Oblivion than Skyrim, or maybe it is because you are pushed towards it more in Oblivion...don't really know.

Sorry for my rambling! Point is, get the game, you'll love it. And then get Morrowind! :cool:

Adventurer

If you decide to give Oblivion a try I very much suggest to install Oscuro's Overhaul mod. It fixes the annoying bandit leveling and gives better graphics and many more.

Mannulus

Article Writer
I remember in Morrowind getting a tent mod (external tent, no magical interior and exterior with door stuff) and a mod to make night time REALLY dark. That was interesting o_O

bosmernagini

Will feel a little dated and clunky in comparison to Skyrim, but is definitely worth playing. The story is great and the side quests are hilarious, and it will help you to understand more about The Elder Scrolls Series as a whole, as well as some of the random facts you find out about in Skyrim.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
Graphics don't make the game. There what you call a "Bonus". The Story in Oblivion is more defined and lush with excitement that I find myself enthralled. This game is by far better than Skyrim in all its entirety, minus the graphics of course. I'm playing Oblivion right now actually. An unarmed fighter(Unarmed skill, another bonus :D). There's more spells, armor, weapons, enchants, items. Play it, don't judge a game by the way it looks. The dlc has much more bulk to it than Skyrim dlc, and again by far greater. Replay value for me, infinite. Skyrim you find yourself doing the same old thing with every character. <<-JUNK. How can you define a characters personality if your doing the same old kill a dragon go to High Hrothgar BS. Skyrim is a good game, but Oblivion.. you won't be disappointed. <3 :p

jlikes08

Graphics don't make the game. There what you call a "Bonus". The Story in Oblivion is more defined and lush with excitement that I find myself enthralled. This game is by far better than Skyrim in all its entirety, minus the graphics of course. I'm playing Oblivion right now actually. An unarmed fighter(Unarmed skill, another bonus :D). There's more spells, armor, weapons, enchants, items. Play it, don't judge a game by the way it looks. The dlc has much more bulk to it than Skyrim dlc, and again by far greater. Replay value for me, infinite. Skyrim you find yourself doing the same old thing with every character. <<-JUNK. How can you define a characters personality if your doing the same old kill a dragon go to High Hrothgar BS. Skyrim is a good game, but Oblivion.. you won't be disappointed. <3 :p
AGH. NO. WHY?! Reviews like this COST ME MONEY!! Now I have to have this game. I just bought dragonborn this morning too :sadface:

Thanks though, sounds like a great game. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
AGH. NO. WHY?! Reviews like this COST ME MONEY!! Now I have to have this game. I just bought dragonborn this morning too :sadface:

Thanks though, sounds like a great game. :)

Lol Its worth the money(If you have it to spare). Make sure to get the GOTY edition for the DLC. Morrowind is a great option as well. Good Luck and have fun with it. Dragon born was a good DLC, but very limited in its content. They could have done much better IMO.

jlikes08

Wow. So I went out today and got this. Logged over 200 hours on skyrim and had done it all. Got dishonored and beat it. Great game. Now I picked up the GOTY edition for 12$ at GameStop. After an hour I'm hooked. The world map blows but could be worse. I love it so far!

Sid

The fairly crap Pokémon trainer....
I really want Morrowind after playing Oblivion. I downloaded Daggerfall but it is a tad hard to get the hang of. I hope my computer can run Morrowind!
Just about any computer can run Morrowind, a friend of mine as an ancient laptop that is mostly broken, and it works fine.

Grob

Wow. So I went out today and got this. Logged over 200 hours on skyrim and had done it all. Got dishonored and beat it. Great game. Now I picked up the GOTY edition for 12$ at GameStop. After an hour I'm hooked. The world map blows but could be worse. I love it so far!

I was hooked as well. Still haven't played as much as Skyrim, but I've only done one playthrough, with no Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Fighters or Shivering/Knights of Nine. The first playthrough was just Mages, Main quest and Arena, and that got about 100 hours. Still will have to play another 4-500 hours to catch up to Skyrim though :confused:.

Daggerfall got me for an hour or two, which was just walking around in circles in a stupid dungeon.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts