• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I was thinking of getting oblivion for christmas but ive allready played skyrim so would it still be good i can appreciate games even if there old i play mass efect 1 sometimes but i think oblivion could be a massive fail if you play it after skyrim.

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
I find if you can get past those annoying scamps at Kvatch, Oblivion's still a really good game. I played Skyrim before Oblivion but I still loved it. Still, I can't help but laugh when I see the review - "The best PS3 game yet."

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I played Oblivion first time after Skyrim. Could hardly "put it down" until I was all but done.

The only thing to be alert to: You may actually want to choose a character class that you're not suited for, because of the way the Oblivion leveling system works. Without exception, common bandits will otherwise eventually reach a point where you wonder why they don't just sell their armor and retire from banditry.

Still playable, though certain things like archery will feel shallow. But yeah, its still worth a playthrough. And on Xbox 360, its an easy (albeit time consuming) game to get all the achievements.

Zihark2393

Truth Seeker
I agree, if you can get pass the difference in graphics it's definitely playable and some of the dlc make it alot of fun. But i may be a little bias since i played oblivion before skyrim lol

Sharduroga

id say it definiitley is. I have been wanting to start a new oblivion game. Oblivion was much more difficult

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I've probably played Oblivion more than I've played Skyrim.

Without a doubt yes get it. What you should of done was played it before Skyrim. I also suggest you get the expansion for Oblivion "The Shivering Isles", because you'll be sorry if you don't. By the time you finished Oblivion you going to crave more of it.

Sharduroga

yeah i played the shivering isles and all the DLC i played Obliv on PC when it came out great game. Skyrim is definitley less buggy but the quests in Obliv are so fluffing sick. That one where you travel in the dream of that argonian woman was pretty pscychadelic.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
If you can deal with the dated character models (environments look fine IMO), lack of a functioning third person camera, horrible leveling system, and not-as-good mechanics in combat and lack of a perk system, Oblivion's gameplay, story, quests, environment, voice overs, etc are all fantastic. There's a lot of mods for the game, so a lot of those problems can even be fixed in the PC version. I'd get the game of the year addition, because the DLC questlines are all pretty fun, but the Shivering Isles is EPIC and really deserves attention.

All in all it's a great game. A little dated, with a very bad levelling system (you can actually get weaker by leveling up, which is ridiculous). I might actually reinstall it with mods because I'm getting a little bored playing skyrim too much

Saozig

Hippy
I'm definitely curious about Oblivion too. I really am not terribly familiar with TES games pre-Skyrim, and would like to know more about them. I do have an issue with datedness, which can annoy me greatly, but if the game story and other aspects are good, I can usually learn to ignore that after a little bit of playing time

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I'm definitely curious about Oblivion too. I really am not terribly familiar with TES games pre-Skyrim, and would like to know more about them. I do have an issue with datedness, which can annoy me greatly, but if the game story and other aspects are good, I can usually learn to ignore that after a little bit of playing time

Oblivion has a different feeling to Skyrim. Yes the combat might not be as dynamic as Skyrim's but Oblivion has much better story line, and is in a league of it's own.

I actually miss Oblivion quite a lot. Infact too much that I fear the same flavour Oblivion had will not be present in future Elder Scrolls series. Least they could of done was add more expansions to an epic RPG.

It's quite sad really.

Saozig

Hippy
I hate that feeling of really loving a game and knowing that what made it special to you personally may never again be part of that series or another game.It's one of the reason I got disenchanted with Final Fantasy.

Now I'm really curious. It's only $14.99 for download on Xbox Live (even though I think I'd rather play it on PC). Hmmmm....

Sid

The fairly crap Pokémon trainer....
My personal opinion is that Oblivion is way better than Skyrim; Better Story, Better Steel/Iron/Silver Detail, Better DLC. I could go on ranting like this all day so I'll just leave it here.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
Ozan must ask... why stop there? One should find themselves before the crisis. Perhaps even before the Vvardenfell incidents. Even the whole affair concerning the Imperial Battlemage of the Colovian Emperor. Start from the beginning if one chooses to look back. Ozan knows the eyes of the curious shall widen as they see a familiar world shape.

ChiRobot

8-bit love
I think Oblivion is a must play in the series,and I think it is most definitely playable after Skyrim.

Tryn

Premium Member
I find it's still fun to play, but as you can imagine, you'll have to deal with a few issues that were fixed in Skyrim. For example: unless I'm missing something you can not remove an arrow from your bow... so shoot it at your feet and pick it up. You'll also have to aim higher for distant targets in Oblivion. I hate the Oblivion locks... I've yet to find any technique to it... pure luck. The menu system is a bit insane. Accumulating gold is painful (but probably more realistic). Still, it's a fun play and I'd recommend it.

Sid

The fairly crap Pokémon trainer....
Tryn; a note on locks; get the Skeleton Key and auto attempt

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I still play Daggerfall. I don't buy into the whole 'newer is better' stuff. If we didn't have these great classics, we wouldn't have games like Skyrim. So yes, I think you should go back and give all the earlier Elder Scroll games a try if you are able to. :)

Mini Mongo

Drog Do Faal Mongonite Lahvu
I played Oblivion far more than Skyrim, the engine and graphics of the game may be considered out dated but I would highly argue against that, the game is still much fun and although I have still got Skyrim I commonly switch over and play Oblivion. Storyline is good, it's filled with quests, nice easy achievements as stated before, and defiantly amazing DLC's (Though I only really recommend Shivering Isles, I would also say for you to get the Crusader)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts