• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So right now as you are reading this,I have this game on my wishlist for Steam...It's TES:III...It looks amazing and it seems to have improved werewolves and hasn't removed things that I LOVE (spears,crossbows and I will be able to mod this...) and I know some other things...and can anyone make a list of the pros and cons of getting this? thanks and what excatly is it about? (main storyline) I watched LP's but none of them really explained what was going on :l

Luke7050

Well im only in the middle of the main storyline but so far you were once a criminal that the empire had released for an unknown reason. and you have to find the blades and join up with them. I think this game is a good time waster and i have moded it so it is fun now. THe one thing i hate about it is that the graphics just suck, compared to Oblivion and Skyrim..

Well im only in the middle of the main storyline but so far you were once a criminal that the empire had released for an unknown reason. and you have to find the blades and join up with them. I think this game is a good time waster and i have moded it so it is fun now. THe one thing i hate about it is that the graphics just suck, compared to Oblivion and Skyrim..
You shouldn't judge a game by its graphic...but how fun it is

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
It's worth it, just get it.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Morrowind is more than worth it. But it is a much slower game than Oblivion or Skyrim combined. Just don't play the game expecting fast travel, the ability to sprint, etc. Go in, playing Morrowind as a completely different game. This will allow you to enjoy it for what it is. It is a great game even with it's faults. One of the best in the series. My opinion.

DeadxTime

The game is alot of fun and you can always download a graphics pack I know they are out there but the storyline is enjoyable and the bloodmoon expansion was my favorite because it added a different landscape which is snowy and alot like Skyrim. The biggest problem I had with the game was that the journal you used to track missions was not organized and became confusing to fin a certain mission. Besides that the landscape is very alien and unique but still natural. All in all if you liked Oblivion and or Skyrim this game will be amazing for you as this one had the most content out of all three of them so yes do buy it and be amazed.

VolenKiller

The Idealist
Morrowind = Totally worth it . fluff all who say otherwise. Morrowind's cons... Well like Uther said no sprinting or fast Travel. But you CAN use a giant bug to travel from city to city. I call it the Giant Flee. Always have, always will. Other cons- what other cons? NONE. The game is just god damn awesome. Not many armors, BUT the epansions to add a bit of armors. AND if you get Morrowind, get it's GOTY eddition. OR at LEAST Bloodmoon, so you can be a werewold ;) . Um you can actually buy it online on this sight called textbooksrus.com , go to games, type in the search bar morrowind, and Morrowind GOTY eddition will pop up. NOW, all of the PC ones are sold out, and most likely wont restock. So unless you have a xbox or xbox350, you're done mate. well actually you can buy a download for it , just no expansions. STILL WORTH IT. :) . So many pros that you can name them all. in fact the game is a pro. just it itself. you wont find flaws unless you're looking for them, and by that i mean looking for a reason not to like the game. GET IT. Ranges from 15 - 30 $ !!! I just bought Morrowind GOTY eddition for my xbox from textbookrus.com , and i paid 5 extra $ to make sure it gets here in 3 days... now to :D . Ahh... I love Morrowind, and the best thing is , the farthest ive gotten is lvl 12 on my mom's computer, but the disc was already scratched up and it got more scratched up becasue of my brother so i couldnt play it anymore SOO I got GOTY eddition for Xbox. yes GET IT . ASK YOURE parents for freaking money,or get a job, or if you laready have one, Wait for nexxt paycheck and BUY THAT plops

^^you can buy GOTY edition for PC on amazon for like $25

Rextoret

top kek
Get it. It's definately worth the money. ( It's $20 on Steam right now for GOTY version.) It not a very laggy game, as I can run it smoothly at max pixel count on my less than 1/2 GB **** laptop! Story is absolutely great, as are the quests, guilds, towns, weapons and armor. Only problems are the lack of fast travel and health and magicka regeneration. These can be fixed easily though via in-game workarounds. For the first, you can use the Mark and Recall spells. Mark simply leaves a marker on the map where ever you cast it. You may only have one mark at a time so remember that. Recall simply takes you to that marker from anywhere in-game. The latter can't really be "fixed", but can be lived with. Simply use potions or sleep and rest to fill up thos bars. Stamina does regenerate though. Guilds are amazing in this game, because there are a LOT of them. You can be in Thieve's Guild, Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, House Redoran, House Hlaalu, House Telvanni, Blades, East Empire Company, Imperial Cult, Imperial Legion, Ashlanders, Morag Tong, Tribunal Temple, Aundae Clan, Berne Clan and Quarra Clan. You can't join the Dark Brotherood but that's a necassary sacrifice for all those guilds. Some guilds conflict with each other so you can't be in all of them in one playthrough. Some of them have reqiuerments like being a Vampire. Another problem is the battle system. It is more like a classic D&D battle system than the systems in Oblivion and Skyrim, meaning that you dont always hit the enemy if you don't have enough skill in that certain type of weapon. Sorry to rant, but have fun if you do decide to get Morrowind! It's a great game and i'm sure you'll have fun!

P.S.- It's green so you can read easier.

Neriad13

Premium Member
After playing a lot of Skyrim before trying out Morrowind and getting a good way through the main questline, I can now proudly say "HELL YES" in answer to that question. The story this game tells is amazing, deep, exciting and rich. Any cons I have are very minor, but here they are:

- NPCs don't have sleep schedules. Thus, shops are always open, even at the darkest hours of night. It's something small that really breaks immersion for me.

- The lack of fast travel has been mentioned, but that isn't what bothers me. No, it's the low running speed that you start out with. Even the animation looks like your character's moving in slow motion through a sea of karo corn syrup. You can't run for crap and usually can't get away expediently from dangerous enemies. However, speed's something you have to earn in this game and when you gain enough skill in Athletics to be able to move at a good pace, it feels really satisfying to have reached that point.

- NPCs get stuck easily. I've seen smugglers and ordinators struggle to figure out a way to get up a flight of stairs and attack me. I've seen cliff racers get stuck on rocks or in trees. I've seen a kwama forager fall into a pile of rocks and be unable to crawl back out. I've lost my own traveling companion when he refused to leave an underground stream for no apparent reason. It's to be expected of a game this old though. Ah well.

- Inventory sorting is pretty bad, probably worse than vanilla Skyrim. Every time you want to grab a scroll or a potion, you have to go through a sea of other magical items. The spell list gets cluttered pretty easily too. All you can really do about it is stay on top of your inventory or possibly go mod-hunting.

- A lot of the dungeons are really short, compared to Skyrim anyway. But then again, there are a good few massive ones too. It's all the more fun when you find one of those, a real test of endurance.

And now for the pros:

- This game uses text boxes to relay information, as opposed to fully voiced acting. This may be a con to some, but I believe it to be a superior method. If characters are speaking with text boxes, the sky's the limit on what they can be saying. In this game, it is entirely possible to have dozens of conversations with any NPC whatsoever. You can walk up to any townsperson and ask for directions. You can bribe them for valuable info. You can ask them about their history or local lore. And perhaps best of all, all NPCs have the ability to call you by your name. Your character isn't just known by some ancient title, but as a real, living person.

- Which leads into the next point - the journal. It may be a little messy if you're looking for a specific quest, but it is also highly amusing to read and sometimes enlightening. There's a lot of funny, off-kilter comments written in it by your character, adding more character to what was previously nothing more than a blank canvas.

- Magic is ridiculously fun to play with. It seems that there's a lot more spells to have fun with, especially when you're not in combat. Water-walking, levitation, open lock, fortify acrobatics, slow fall...you would not believe how satisfying it is to go running over the surface of a lake or flying around a wizard's tower or bouncing like a rubber ball up to a high platform. I've also heard that the spell-making system is particularly good, though I haven't tried it out myself yet.

- As mentioned previously, the faction system. There's just so many of them and an it's an actual, worthy accomplishment to climb up to the top of a faction. Another thing about factions is that they all offer trainers and shops, with considerable discounts for faction members.

- Trainers - with them you can train as many times as your pocketbook can handle. And the more you train, the better too - it helps a lot with leveling. It's so much better to be able to go out into the wilderness prepared.

- It's another small thing, but an exceedingly nice one - there are pauses written into the main quest in which you're told to go out and do some adventuring, without guilt that you're playing around as the world collapses around you. In Skyrim's main quest, I never felt like that was the case. I was always chasing after one dragon or another, struggling to avert the crisis, but unable to just relax and explore this world that was made to be explored.

- Art design. The graphics may be dated but that doesn't mean that they don't have their own beauty or that they aren't sometimes breathtakingly amazing. When you can get views like this even without a graphics extender, who's complaining?

image33_800.jpg

post-33544-1289239251.jpg

Map2_W11.jpg

A lot of the character designs are very cool too and all have quite a unique flavor.

tsomw_mw_lord_vivec.jpg

Yagrum_Bagarn.jpg

beast_morrowind_sleeperascended.png

208368-achitecture_super.jpg

- But most of all, the one reason that you should absolutely get it is for the writing. The characters are deep and complex. When one who's been helping you along the entire time and truly cares about you leaves the stage, it's genuinely sad and touching. Right and wrong is something that you have to figure out for yourself at every turn. Entering the world of Morrowind is something that involves diving into a deep conspiracy and unraveling the truth behind thousand-year-old lies, tangling in the affairs of the gods. There's exciting and unexpected twists that serve to make the main conflict more personal than it ever was in Skyrim. And no shortage at all of rousing "Oh plops!" moments.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Just as Neriad13 has said. You will not, can not be disappointed with getting and playing this game. And if you get it for the PC, well, mods only enhance what is already an awesome game.

Archmage12

As other have said Morrowind is truly awsome.

In it's way it's better then Skyrim, I can't even describe how awsome this game is.

But don't try to figure out what the mainquest is about before you play. Thankfully no one spoiled it for you, but it'll blow your mind if you find out while playing.

So yeah here's some pros and cons.

Pros: Better story, Better quests, Better magic, awsomer music, feeling of mystery, WAY more factions, better loot if your a Thief, more books, land feels bigger, mobile alchemy, armor and weapons can break, armor and weapons can be fixed, ability to dispose of corpses, no hand holding,

cons: Less graphics, not as good melle combat, no mounts, no smithing, no hand holding.

But yeah anyone who likes Skyrim but dosn't like Morrowind, is not a RPer.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
After playing a lot of Skyrim before trying out Morrowind and getting a good way through the main questline, I can now proudly say "HELL YES" in answer to that question. The story this game tells is amazing, deep, exciting and rich. Any cons I have are very minor, but here they are:

- NPCs don't have sleep schedules. Thus, shops are always open, even at the darkest hours of night. It's something small that really breaks immersion for me.

- The lack of fast travel has been mentioned, but that isn't what bothers me. No, it's the low running speed that you start out with. Even the animation looks like your character's moving in slow motion through a sea of karo corn syrup. You can't run for crap and usually can't get away expediently from dangerous enemies. However, speed's something you have to earn in this game and when you gain enough skill in Athletics to be able to move at a good pace, it feels really satisfying to have reached that point.

- NPCs get stuck easily. I've seen smugglers and ordinators struggle to figure out a way to get up a flight of stairs and attack me. I've seen cliff racers get stuck on rocks or in trees. I've seen a kwama forager fall into a pile of rocks and be unable to crawl back out. I've lost my own traveling companion when he refused to leave an underground stream for no apparent reason. It's to be expected of a game this old though. Ah well.

- Inventory sorting is pretty bad, probably worse than vanilla Skyrim. Every time you want to grab a scroll or a potion, you have to go through a sea of other magical items. The spell list gets cluttered pretty easily too. All you can really do about it is stay on top of your inventory or possibly go mod-hunting.

- A lot of the dungeons are really short, compared to Skyrim anyway. But then again, there are a good few massive ones too. It's all the more fun when you find one of those, a real test of endurance.

And now for the pros:

- This game uses text boxes to relay information, as opposed to fully voiced acting. This may be a con to some, but I believe it to be a superior method. If characters are speaking with text boxes, the sky's the limit on what they can be saying. In this game, it is entirely possible to have dozens of conversations with any NPC whatsoever. You can walk up to any townsperson and ask for directions. You can bribe them for valuable info. You can ask them about their history or local lore. And perhaps best of all, all NPCs have the ability to call you by your name. Your character isn't just known by some ancient title, but as a real, living person.

- Which leads into the next point - the journal. It may be a little messy if you're looking for a specific quest, but it is also highly amusing to read and sometimes enlightening. There's a lot of funny, off-kilter comments written in it by your character, adding more character to what was previously nothing more than a blank canvas.

- Magic is ridiculously fun to play with. It seems that there's a lot more spells to have fun with, especially when you're not in combat. Water-walking, levitation, open lock, fortify acrobatics, slow fall...you would not believe how satisfying it is to go running over the surface of a lake or flying around a wizard's tower or bouncing like a rubber ball up to a high platform. I've also heard that the spell-making system is particularly good, though I haven't tried it out myself yet.

- As mentioned previously, the faction system. There's just so many of them and an it's an actual, worthy accomplishment to climb up to the top of a faction. Another thing about factions is that they all offer trainers and shops, with considerable discounts for faction members.

- Trainers - with them you can train as many times as your pocketbook can handle. And the more you train, the better too - it helps a lot with leveling. It's so much better to be able to go out into the wilderness prepared.

- It's another small thing, but an exceedingly nice one - there are pauses written into the main quest in which you're told to go out and do some adventuring, without guilt that you're playing around as the world collapses around you. In Skyrim's main quest, I never felt like that was the case. I was always chasing after one dragon or another, struggling to avert the crisis, but unable to just relax and explore this world that was made to be explored.

- Art design. The graphics may be dated but that doesn't mean that they don't have their own beauty or that they aren't sometimes breathtakingly amazing. When you can get views like this even without a graphics extender, who's complaining?

image33_800.jpg

post-33544-1289239251.jpg

Map2_W11.jpg

A lot of the character designs are very cool too and all have quite a unique flavor.

tsomw_mw_lord_vivec.jpg

Yagrum_Bagarn.jpg

beast_morrowind_sleeperascended.png

208368-achitecture_super.jpg

- But most of all, the one reason that you should absolutely get it is for the writing. The characters are deep and complex. When one who's been helping you along the entire time and truly cares about you leaves the stage, it's genuinely sad and touching. Right and wrong is something that you have to figure out for yourself at every turn. Entering the world of Morrowind is something that involves diving into a deep conspiracy and unraveling the truth behind thousand-year-old lies, tangling in the affairs of the gods. There's exciting and unexpected twists that serve to make the main conflict more personal than it ever was in Skyrim. And no shortage at all of rousing "Oh pl***!" moments.

you know you love this game

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts