Is it worth buying a Playstation 4?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
My mind is in turmoil as of now. I've been thinking of getting a console for a while, but I couldn't figure out which one I desire until recently. I've decided that if I was to get a console that PS4 would be my choice.

For the investment is it worth the cost? I would be spending total of $1,500 for the system among other accessories, and some tweaks for a much larger memory. I've browsed through some of the games that's available, and not many came close to being desirable. I realize that this system isn't all that old, but I don't want to invest in a system where I will only be playing 1 or 2 games.

Is purchasing a PS4 worth the investment?

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I would wait until more desirable games are released for the system. The price should fall in another year or so anyway. I'm not sure if it's backwards compatible with previous generation titles or not, either.

Deadpool.

OG Forum member
In my opinion as a retired gamer, A PC is easier to maintain and its relitively cheaper to move on to the next OS and a decent grpahics card to play games rather than to buy an entire system.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
My mind is in turmoil as of now. I've been thinking of getting a console for a while, but I couldn't figure out which one I desire until recently. I've decided that if I was to get a console that PS4 would be my choice.

For the investment is it worth the cost? I would be spending total of $1,500 for the system among other accessories, and some tweaks for a much larger memory. I've browsed through some of the games that's available, and not many came close to being desirable. I realize that this system isn't all that old, but I don't want to invest in a system where I will only be playing 1 or 2 games.

Is purchasing a PS4 worth the investment?
I have a question. You need more memory? I have 500GB on mine already and that's plenty since I get and additional 1TB out on the PS Network. And what accessories are going to cost that much? Okay, maybe a new flatscreen, but still! Yikes.

I can only tell you that, while the game selection is kind of slim on PS4 right now (unless you're in to shooters, kids games and sports - I'm talking RPGs), I certainly feel that it's worth it. Loving the interactive and social features and the graphics! (well, okay, they're negligibly better than the PS3 - I think it's my slammin' TV). Personally the best selling feature for me is how quick the connection speeds to the net are (I use a lot of Netflix, Hulu, etc..) and I have yet to have a buffering problem, even when attaching to game servers (i.e. DA-I server, Shadows of Mordor, etc...).

You can also get buttloads of free games and even get some old ones for streaming from their servers as well (which is nice).

I like the new controller as well. It's much more hefty and fits my big hands better. My only criticism there is that it has a short battery life.

I do agree with Nocte Aeterna that backwards compatibility would be nice, but I don't see it happening. The best we can hope for is streaming (at least according to my contact at SONY) - games would have to be completely redesigned for the new engine.

I also agree with Deadpool that a PC is an excellent choice and would probably be cheaper, but, as a diehard consoler, who, although owns a gaming PC and Skyrim for it, will probably never use it. Just don't have the patience to learn the keyboard/mouse, too cheap to upload the fix so I can use the controller (why? - I already have a console!) and far too lazy to spend all that time modding - and ya just know I'd mod it all to heck, just 'cause I'm totally anal and have to have absolutely everything.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
I gotta admit, I'd wait a bit before buying it, but let me tell you (I play on my cousins PS4 atm while I live there renting) - the games array at the moment is decent enough, but around feb - march next year. It gets really immense with some brilliant releases like Evolve and Batman Arkham Knight.

It's £400 over here, gonna wait for a price drop for my own console, see what its like in the new year.

Apparantly you can get a White PS4 and controller for £300 which is cheaper and just a palette swap (make your own black cover?).

You dont need more space since 500GB is immense! But its your cash.

A few nit picks I have is that just like Ps3 - you have to wait for the game to be installed first, you cant just pop in and play like Xbox, its not that bad, but definately adds to the annoyance, when you want to play GTA V and you got to wait an hour for an install.

Sometimes I get a "Not enough Memory" pop up aswell, when running certain apps, which is strange, usually multiple internet tabs whilst also watching a livestream of someone playing a video game ive not bought lol.

No idea what an Xbox One is like, but Playstation 4 won my vote at the convention ages ago when Microsoft went all Watch TV.

Playstation store has some decent free games also, like Warframe and some nifty demo's providing you subscribe to PS+

adrian-smith31

Argonian
I have one but however the selection of games are a bit limited at the moment - I would agree with the others above and at least wait till after Xmas. Some games make use of the touchpad on the controller which I find awkward to use but that's just me.

As for the 500GB storage space, even games on blu-ray install to the HDD and at 40 to 50Gb a game that 500GB is soon used up. I have five games and it's half used up already.

One other thing is the price of the games but don't get me started on that.

Daelon DuLac

I have one but however the selection of games are a bit limited at the moment - I would agree with the others above and at least wait till after Xmas. Some games make use of the touchpad on the controller which I find awkward to use but that's just me.

As for the 500GB storage space, even games on blu-ray install to the HDD and at 40 to 50Gb a game that 500GB is soon used up. I have five games and it's half used up already.

One other thing is the price of the games but don't get me started on that.
I guess I just don't hold on to my games that much, plus I have 3TB drives attached to both my PS4 and my PS3 that save there as default and PS+ so I never run out of space.

Are games really that much more expensive in the UK on the PS4? Over here in Portland, Oregon, they're actually about the same or a little less (around $50-60 USD). The downloads are even cheaper. I can get Shadows of Mordor either PS+ or Gamestop for 20.99 USD right now and I bought the game when it came out at $50 USD.

Agree on the touchpad though. It doesn't really bother me once you're used to it. I miss the start and options buttons being down by the PS button though and they're so small, it can be tough to use them mid-game.

adrian-smith31

Argonian
The games are average of £50 here for digital versions with the latest releases being £60-70 depending on if you get the premium/enhanced/better version. Disc versions are cheaper especially if you buy online from likes of Amazon. If your games are $50-$60 with current exchange rates they are just over half the cost of what they are here.

I don't understand why digital download games are considerably more than their disk versions. It seems the other way round in the USA with downloads being cheaper.

Edit: Shadow of Mordor is £54.99 PSN download price at the moment.

Daelon DuLac

The games are average of £50 here for digital versions with the latest releases being £60-70 depending on if you get the premium/enhanced/better version. Disc versions are cheaper especially if you buy online from likes of Amazon. If your games are $50-$60 with current exchange rates they are just over half the cost of what they are here.

I don't understand why digital download games are considerably more than their disk versions. It seems the other way round in the USA with downloads being cheaper.

Edit: Shadow of Mordor is £54.99 PSN download price at the moment.
Absolutely. I have no idea why your games are twice as expensive as ours. Maybe y'all are just really, really rich???? :) Yes, our digitals, on the whole, do tend to be cheaper than the disc version. Weird.

adrian-smith31

Argonian
The Xbox One game prices are not that different so it's not a Sony thing. I will be buying a new gaming PC next year so that and my PS4 will be sufficient for my gaming needs. PC game download prices are much cheaper than the PS4/Xbox one versions.

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
I would wait. For three reasons:

-The console will get cheaper
-More games will come out
-Said games will get updates

It's the same for me with XBOX One. There's quite a few games on there that look good (The Master Chief Collection... *drools*) but they really need some updates before I will consider buying a new console for them.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
I have no intention of ever buying a PS4 or One-- or WIII (whatever it's called...) I'm sorry, but all the good games have already been released... If I wanted to buy a new console, I'd save up for a gaming PC instead, DiY and plug in a controller. The marketing just doesn't make sense to me. Honestly, it seems like all consoles are doing now is trying to be what smartphones are. You can plug your VCR to your hairdrier to your dishwasher and watch movies in the shower with a desk lamp. The only way consoles could win my vote again (and shovel out the decent purse to attain one) is to support their own games... Do they not realize how much money they'd net in the long term if they'd just respect the people they're trying to appeal to?

Anyways, sorry for the rant...

OT: Is it worth it? Maybe to someone who has the coin for it... Maybe the performance, graphics, and novelty are there... I don't know. I'm too closed-minded on this topic to give a thoughtful perspective.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
I have no intention of ever buying a PS4 or One-- or WIII (whatever it's called...) I'm sorry, but all the good games have already been released... If I wanted to buy a new console, I'd save up for a gaming PC instead, DiY and plug in a controller. The marketing just doesn't make sense to me. Honestly, it seems like all consoles are doing now is trying to be what smartphones are. You can plug your VCR to your hairdrier to your dishwasher and watch movies in the shower with a desk lamp. The only way consoles could win my vote again (and shovel out the decent purse to attain one) is to support their own games... Do they not realize how much money they'd net in the long term if they'd just respect the people they're trying to appeal to?

Anyways, sorry for the rant...

OT: Is it worth it? Maybe to someone who has the coin for it... Maybe the performance, graphics, and novelty are there... I don't know. I'm too closed-minded on this topic to give a thoughtful perspective.

PS4 - Worth it for the Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Evolve! The Division! (Maybe similar tastes, though I'm gradually expanding)

but now isn't the time to buy it, its way too pricey - March - June is where the best games start arriving.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I'd wait until more games were available. My friend has one and that is his only major complaint. Me, I plan on getting a PS4 later on down the road. PS3 games are getting cheaper and there are a ton that I haven't even played yet.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Nowadays there's nothing you can do with a PS4 that you can't do with a PC. However, I do like to just sit on my couch with a controller in my hand (although again; this is possible with a pc, too). Of course there are PS4 exclusives and you will have to decide for yourself whether or not they are worth it. What I consider to be a big plus, is the fact that crossplay should be possible now with the PS Vita - which basically means I can continue to play my games when I'm not home (yes, I'm that bad :sadface: ).

Daelon DuLac

To me it's been worth it. I've had a couple of PS4s in my house for quite a while now.

While releases like Shadows of Mordor and Witcher 3 have certainly been worth it, I do miss my TES, thus I'm buying TESO Imperial Edition when it comes out in about a week.

The main advantage, in my opinion, that the PS4 has over the PS3 is that it is so much more powerful and much more integrated. I love being able to take screen shots and video footage and share it whenever I want.

In your case, since you're a PCer in the first place, I wouldn't run out and get one though. There are very few actual "exclusives" to the PS4 that are worth it and the PC offers so much more flexibility.

For someone like me that integrates their entertainment (NetFlix, Hulu, Blue-Ray, music, videos, social media, etc...) and, who doesn't really use a PC very often at home, the PS4 is great, but, as I said, for a PCer, you may want to wait a bit before you actual plunk down a lot of money on it.

I will be updating y'all on how TESO is on the PS4 when I get it though, so, who knows!

I would wait until more good games come out for the PS4 before buying it, or wait for the price to drop significantly as I feel it is too expensive right now.

Daelon DuLac

I would wait until more good games come out for the PS4 before buying it, or wait for the price to drop significantly as I feel it is too expensive right now.
You'll probably be waiting a long time then.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts