PC Is Dawnguard worth buying?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Torok

I've been thinking about getting Dawnguard, but is it worth it?

Junkie

The storyline for it is decent, I like it for the crossbow & werewolf/vampire perks alone. If you've waited this long though, they'll probably have a sale on it when the dragonborn dlc drops. It was half price on steam when Hearthfire dropped

Torok

Tamriel, you are correct.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
If you are in to the whole Vampire thing, then yes probably. I don't buy the whole Vampires have feelings too BS, so for me, it was kind of boring.

Gowsh

Old Fart
I played the Dawnguard side.

I found a couple new, extensive and tricky dungeons, some interesting lore reveals and the best follower in the game by far. A bit of it was drudgery, but not a whole lot.

Best of all, though, was the synchronized diving dragons. I gave them a 9.5!

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Vampires have feelings? I'm always too busy killing them to bother asking.:)

Serana. Their attempt to make a sympathetic Twilight type vampire. Vampires are evil. Any appearance of humanity/friendship is just part of their charm/mind control. Only effective on the weak minded. As a stealth character, I had the same problem with her as with all followers. I liked the new dungeons, especially the valley, but the side quests were really easy and too repetitive. It was fun to play through, but only as a one time thing.

david lansdale

hi everyone, im a new member to this sight, but i have been playing on skyrim for about 4 months.
yes there are a lot of bugs, just finished on winter-hold, and one of the guards was floating and running at the same time whilst in the air. will they ever get these bugs sorted!!
anyway nice to be here.

Tyer032392

I enjoyed the DawnGuard dlc. I thought it was fairly well done, and does add probably the best follower so far in the game, who can't be killed might I add, so Serana is very good cannon fodder to keep the Dragons busy while you keep shouting dragonrend on them and go into melee with them. Personally, I liked the fact that Serana wasn't like the other Vampires in the game, and had a more humanized side compared to her father and mother, and the rest of he kind.

Rocket2606

hi everyone, im a new member to this sight, but i have been playing on skyrim for about 4 months.
yes there are a lot of bugs, just finished on winter-hold, and one of the guards was floating and running at the same time whilst in the air. will they ever get these bugs sorted!!
anyway nice to be here.
Really sight. -.-

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I've been thinking about getting Dawnguard, but is it worth it?
I think you need to answer this question yourself.

Here's some pointers.

Firstly, what is Skyrim worth to you? Is it your favourite game? Do you really enjoy it?

In a nutshell, if Skyrim really means something to you that proves it's worth. Simple.

We saw this in Oblivion. After the main game that dark depression hit us like a tornado and we coudln't wait for any content released by Bethesda, we an I myself literally starved after Oblivion completion, and got respite in the release of the expansion The Shivering Isles.

If some of these symptoms are infecting you then yes, go buy it.

It further deepens your experience in Skyrim and whatever prolongs that life is definitely worth it without question.

Tyer032392

Serana. Their attempt to make a sympathetic Twilight type vampire. Vampires are evil. Any appearance of humanity/friendship is just part of their charm/mind control. Only effective on the weak minded. As a stealth character, I had the same problem with her as with all followers. I liked the new dungeons, especially the valley, but the side quests were really easy and too repetitive. It was fun to play through, but only as a one time thing.

That is actually a common misconception among'st many people because of the novel by Bram Stoker "Dracula" which made vampires into what we know of them today. In reality, the real life vampires like Vlad Tepes Drac (meaning son of the Dragon) was even though a homicidal maniac, did what he believed was best for his kingdom. Vlad Tepes is commonly used as the inspiration for evil vampire characters like Brak Stoker's Dracula, Lord Harkon, extc.

On the other side of the apex we have Countess Elizabeth Bathory who was also the inspiration for Dracula. While it is true that Elizabeth bathed in the blood of teenage virgins to as she saw it, to remain beautiful, even into old age, did have love in her heart, for a count of Hungary who would constantly lead the attacks against the Ottoman Empire. Even with Elizabeth's faults, she was in most sense the most human vampire that actually existed.

To me, it appears that Serana was partially based off of the Countess while her father was based off of Vlad Tepes. But, you are mostly correct in the assumption that MOST vampires are evil creatures; however, that does not mean that there cannot be exceptions.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
^ You are making assumptions about what I base my opinions on. You have no idea.

Besides, those are actual living persons, not vampires. The vampire myth goes much farther back than the dark ages. Thousands of years actually. There are other histories and mythologies than just the white European ones. ;)

Tyer032392

^ I was not making assumptions about what your opinions were on. I was simply stating what I have seen over the internet with the argument that you posted has been used many times, and is a fairly common misconception among'st those who really do not know much about how the myth of vampires came about, and that they are actually based off of historical individuals.

However, I will say that I do know that the Vampiric myth goes back to possibly the stone ages, but it was Bram Stoker's Dracula which really caused the Vampire Lour to take off. And the fact that the story was based off of two of Europe's most blood thirsty individuals is where the modern vampire originates from. You know, there is a reason why the European vampire mythology is remembered by pretty much the world versus those from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Asia Minor, the Middle East, extc. And from what I have seen in Skyrim, the Vampire lore that is present is from the European lore predominantly.

Soloquendi

Pastor of Muppets
Real life vampires? This is why your statement is absurd.

Your assertion that anyone who shares my point of view is doing so from lack of information is also absurd. You have no idea what someones beliefs or views are based on.

The internet is fine, but it's not always right. By the time the internet came along, I had already read between 1,500 and 2,000 books. Plus formal education including Philosophy, Sociology, Computer programming, History, Chemistry, Comparative Religion, etc.

I think you're trying to put me in the place of others whom you have had this debate with before. It's called projecting.

I

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts