1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    Dismiss Notice

18+ Into the Abyss We Fall

Discussion in 'Active Stories' started by The Seraph, Sep 11, 2019.

1. The Seraph

The Seraph Bringer of Dawn and the Morningstar

The Bee and Barb bustled with the riff raff of Riften. Thieves, smugglers and pickpockets abound in the cramped inn. The two young Argonian barkeeps placated the inhabitants with copious amounts of ale and mead. As a result, the bar was filled with drunken revelry, amorous conversations and aimless shouting matches. In a forgotten corner, there sat two people planning an arduous journey. An Altmer man dressed in collegiate robes and a towering knight in all concealing armour. The man, Alindion, was giddily discussing the plans. "Allright, allright! Kthondmz, according to all accounts is very heavily fortified, especially in the Slaves Halls, the Laboratory and the Furnace. I do hope this goes swimmingly!"
    The knight in a stern, yet slightly feminine voice stated, "Calm yourself. This is shall indeed be a prosperous endeavour. None can resist the allure of gold and adventure. Now, how much abuse can these, 'automatons' endure?"
    "Ah yes, you're right," said Alindion, "Now, these animunculi are very tough. Numerous accounts state they can survive even a strong mercenary's attacks. Hopefully we shall get battle hardened folks!"
    "Yes, from what I have heard of term Dwemer ruins, only the mighty endure the destroying nature of the ruins." The knight paused. The door to Riften parted open, and in stepped the first of the ardent souls to undergo this journey. Alindion began to gleefully shout the person over, as he had done so for several other uninterested patrons and the knight hung her head in shame at his overly eager display.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rafen

Rafen Active Member

Beran Masros strode purposefully through the streets, his tattered brown cloak shifting in the wind. The greatsword he carried in a leather and wood sheathe, over his right shoulder. The weapon was nearly as tall as a normal man, though on Beran, it seemed like it could be used as a standard longsword. The steel armour he wore shone in the light of torches mounted along the walls and rails of the city. He could feel eyes on him, watching from the shadows. The city of thieves was well named, and the guild that called the place home were very interested in visitors. He didn't fear for his life- the denizens of Riften were much more interested in his coin purse than they were his blood.

Ahead of him, the most known inn of Riften, the Bee and Barb, stood with light pouring out of its' windows, and a lit lantern in the doorway. It was not the only tavern in the city, but it was the most accommodating, and by far the safest. Besides, the letter he'd received several days earlier had instructed him to report to this specific tavern. He pushed the door open, stepping past a smaller man who was headed in the opposite direction. His eyes were drawn to a couple of people at one of the tables. An excitable altmer male, in the robes of a mage or traveler, sat with a breton female, who looked decidedly less amused at the elfs' antics.

Upon seeing Beran enter, the elf started waving in a completely undignified manner, summoning the tall nord over. Suppressing an amused smile, he marched over to them and bent towards the pair so that they could hear him better. "Greetings and well met. I am Beran Masros, wandering swordsman." He glanced at the elf, "I assume you're the one who sent the letter about this dwarven ruin?" His voice was as deep as would be expected in a man of his stature.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rell

Rell Champion of Malacath!

The redguard was not a very common sight, and he drew more than a few cautious or sometimes outright hostile stares from the guards and citizens alike as he swaggered down the streets of Riften. He whistled as he walked, an old breton marching tune he'd learned from drinking and gambling with soldiers in the taverns of High Rock. Not that Hallen Vaeur had marched anywhere in his life. Sailed, yes. Sauntered, certainly. But the life of a soldier was not for him. Adventure called to him and often landed him in a situation worse than the one he'd started in. However, he was not exactly poor, and with the exception of his eye, he was not poor health, either.

He could swing a sword and dodge one better than most. Even if he preferred to talk his way out of confrontations, rather than into them. Reality was never than kind, he'd found out. Over the course of his travels he'd learned a few tricks in the taverns he frequented. He had also learned that fighting fair rarely got him anywhere. He was not some burly nord or orc who would gladly wade into a bar brawl or battlefield. But he was quick enough to avoid the fists of the afore mentioned brutes.

His eyes settled on the Bee and Barb, an inn known for good service and the much coveted Black-Briar ale. His mouth watered at the thought of it, and he eagerly pushed his way inside. Riften was said to be the warmest of Skyrims' holds, but he much preferred to spend his time inside, rather than freezing his backside off in Skyrims' less than welcoming weather. The interior was much like every other tavern, dimly lit and smelling of ale, sweat, and smoke. His gaze picked out an unlikely trio situated at a table, consisting of an elf, a breton and, a large man with his back to Hallen.

Making his way over, he got the attention of the argonian bartender, and a wink the a nord woman in leather armor leaning against the wall. She scowled and looked away. Reaching the trio at the table, he leaned between the armored breton and the robed elf. "Well,well. What are we all talking about? Something interesting, I hope. And with a good amount of gold thrown in at the end, yes?" The argonian man hustled over with a bottle of ale, and Hallen swapped it out for a handful of coins.

• Like Like x 4
  4. The Seraph

Excitedly, Alindion half shouted, half whispered, "Yes, yes, yes! I am so glad you managed to come Beran! I did indeed. Now let's get into the details. First, would you be able to carry large amounts-"
    "Alindion, let's slow down. First-" stated Vienna before being interrupted by a well decorated Redguard she stood tall and large over. He spoke with a quick and slick voice. Only a fool wears his wealth, she thought while gazing upon his attire and jewelry. Before she could say anything, Alindion quickly greeted him.
    "Oh yes we are, and that gold could be shared, if you would not mind the mere, insignificant, possibility of dying horribly in an underground ruin? That sound like your cup of tea, including a thousand Septims and whatever we can haul off? Ah but where are my manners? I never even asked your name, so what is it?"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Simus

Simus An Excellent Site Member

Elspeth took a deep breath, slowly letting it out as she enjoyed her glass of wine. It was one of the few luxuries the code permitted and it made for a fine companion now that her chicken and potatoes were done. Her ears took in the sounds of the tavern as she sat at her table but her eyes never wavered from the group she was observing. The altmer chatted excitedly to the two men that had approached him, spinning tales of adventure and gold to be made were they to join his expedition. The same expedition outlined in the letter under Elspeth’s plate. Its premise was absolutely childish and she was now certain the elf had written it.

Anyone with good sense knew to stay away from Dwemer ruins. Elspeth had performed plenty of resume missions to save terrified adventurers from savage Falmar and hulking constructs and plenty of those had ended up dead. Even so, there was a great deal to be learned in those places and the only way to do that was to go in and take a look. The young Breton woman seemed like a good companion for the elf. She was quiet, observant and carried herself like the soldier she appeared to be. The smooth rounded chestplate of her armour spoke to that. Elspeth had always rolled her eyes at the shaped breastcups of some women’s armour and the men who tried to sell it to her. No girl with actual combat training would wear that and Elspeth had seen too many foolish children die for it. Their chests split open right between those plates. Elspeth’s oldest daughter loved to wear such things simply to irritate her and it always worked. Elspeth would always be her mother. Even if Lassa has become a reckless monster.

This Breton was different. She seemed to have a good head on her shoulders and was regularly curbing the elf’s excitement, much like Ria did and still does for Yvette. Indeed the Breton acted almost like an older sibling. Or a lover. Elspeth put that out of her mind however as that was just speculation. She was expected and she would not disappoint. The very fact that the courier who had delivered this letter to her had addressed her by name meant that the sender was at least somewhat informed on who she was. Exactly how much mattered little. The code dictated she help those in need and she would oblige. After paying her bill she stood up and walked over to the group, her ebony plate armor, wide brimmed hat and long trailing cloak making her look like the blade of judgement she was. She gently pushing aside the redguard man while keeping her distance from the large Nord. Such large men tended to take offense to being touched and Elspeth was in no mood for a fight.

“Good evening.” Elspeth said to the Breton girl. The elf’s attentions we’re still elsewhere.“My name is Elspeth and I am an Inquisitor of Stendarr. I received this letter yesterday asking for my assistance.” She held up the open envelope to confirm she had the right sender. “How may I be of service?”

• Like Like x 3
  6. The Seraph

Vienna was about to try to reign in Alindion before a voice called out. She turned and nearly gasped. There she was, the heroine of all Vienna's childhood stories. The Immortal Crusader. "Inquisitor Elspesth," stated Vienna calmly, "We are honored to have you. I had Alindion send for you specifically. I have heard many stories of your grand quests, and many of your treks into Dwarvern ruins. It pleases me greatly to have you answer our summons. Now, give me a second." Vienna cleared her throat and placed a hand on Alindion's should to hush him. "To all the present mercenaries!" shouted Vienna, " You are going to delve into a Dwarvern ruin. You might die. Your pay is 1000 septims plus whatever you can bring back that is not of academic value. Anything of academic value with be confiscated. Any and all questions are to be addressed to Alindion. " Vienna bent down to Alindion and cautioned him to be orderly. She then turned back to Elspeth. "Now then Inquisitor, I am Vienna Castbrooke, a former knight of Daggerfall. What brings you here aside from our summons?"

• Like Like x 3
  7. Simus

Simus An Excellent Site Member

“It’s nice to hear I have a good reputation.” Elspeth said to the woman with a small smile. “And I appreciate your friend asking for my help, though the stories of my deeds tend to be exaggerated.” That was an understatement. Inquisitors were nothing less than ancient Nord heroes in many wild stories and Elspeth had been around long enough to become the hero of a several wild tales. She didn’t mind though. All of the stories about her and the Inquisition were wildly inflated but they all had a core of truth and they did give people hope. That made people more willing to help them and made her job somewhat easier so in the end there was no harm done. The woman turned away from Elspeth to announce their job and payment, which Elspeth patiently listened to. It wasn’t very eloquent but it realistically spelled out the danger of what they were doing and the payment was good. Technically the code didn’t allow Elspeth to keep any money for herself but the Inquisition needed money like any other organization so she was still able to accept payment. She would simply donate whatever she didn’t need to the treasury when she returned to Cyrodiil and 1000 septims was far more than she needed.

Once the announcement was done the Breton woman turned back to Elspeth and introduced herself. “A pleasure to meet you Vienna.” She said, shaking Vienna’s hand. “Exploring a Dwemer ruin is a worthy expedition and a Daggerfall knight will be a worthy ally. I shall accept your quest and you may be able to help me in the process. I am tracking a very dangerous criminal and have deduced that she was recently here in Riftenbut has now left. Likely due to both my presence and the rumor of this expedition. She is a vampire and a powerful illusion mage who constantly searches for new power to steal and a Dwemer ruin would be just the place for her to plunder. I suspect that aiding you would be a more productive use of my time than burning down tenements looking for her.”

• Like Like x 3
  8. The_Lost_Foxtrot

The_Lost_Foxtrot Lord of Shadows

Vaylin hummed quietly to herself as she ate her small meal, chewing with a thoughtful expression while eyeing the growing group with curiosity. She listened to the Altmer ramble about Dwemer ruins, and that knightly looking woman with him warning of mayhaps of death. The Bosmer felt a small grin form on her lips as she stood up and walked over, an almost unnoticeable shadow following her like an guardian angel, a small skip to her light steps before she stopped by the female Nord talking to the knightly woman. She heard them introduce themselves to each other before she coughed politely to the group, a friendly grin still on her face. "Please forgive me, but I couldn't Help but overhear that you are the ones that was going to some Dwemer ruin" she said to the group as she pulled a letter from her satchel, and invitation and offer. "Vaylin Rosewood at your service, we would like to join you on this exciting adventure!" She stated loudly enough for the small group of people to hear, not bothering to cover up her subtle but big mistake for those who would read into it, she talked as if there was more then just her.

• Like Like x 4
  9. The Seraph

Vienna gritted her teeth. She had heard just as many horror stories as wondrous songs regarding the Inquisitors. She put it aside and stated "I see. Well, if we encounter this vampire, we shall put her to rest as dead things should be." Out of the corner of her eye, Vienna was a most curious woman stride up to the group. She held an unsettling air about her, as if there was something there but just out of reach. As she introduced herself, Vienna looked around for her associate, but to no avail. She narrowed her eyes as she looked down upon the woman. She seemed harmless, but so does Alindion and Vienna watched him blow apart a dozen Legionaries during the War. "It is a pleasure to meet you Vaylin, but where is your associate?" questioned Vienna.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rell

Rell Champion of Malacath!

Hallen started to reply when someone grabbed him and shifted him aside. He turned, frowning and started to protest the rather rude action. He was not some piece of furniture to be positioned and maneuvered as people saw fit. His protest died on his lips when he took in the black armor and weaponry of the woman who had just joined their table. Thinking better of angering an inquisitor, as she'd introduced herself to the elf and breton at the table. Shaking his head ever so slightly, he turned back to the elf, remembering what he'd said about a thousand septims and the possibility of a miserable death. "Pah!" He exclaimed, waving a hand in an off handed manner. "What's life without the thrill of a near death experience, every now and then, hmm?"

• Like Like x 5
  11. IntrepidVenture

Dantus shrugged his robes closer around him as he peered up at the sign that swayed gently in the breeze. He'd heard that Riften was by far the warmest and most pleasant of the holds in Skyrim. In his opinion, it was still insufferably cold but he was from Leyawiin. Dantus much preferred the warmer climates. When the letter inviting him to Skyrim had arrived, he'd hesitated at first. The northmost province of the empire was not like Cyrodiil, where things were generally calm and present and order maintained by legion patrols. Bandits and monsters could be found just off the road. Then again, the lure of finding lore and artifacts of the ancient dwemer, disappeared for centuries now, was too much to resist.

So he'd packed a small bag, just enough provisions for himself along with some gold and a couple of books for reading material. He'd booked travel by carriage from Leyawiin to Bruma and from there on to Riften. As always, he'd had his trusty staff and a repetoire of spells ready in case of trouble. So far all he'd seen was a pack of wolves who'd begun stalking the horse drawn carriage just out of Falkreath. A quick display of magic had been enough to scare them off and the rest of the trip had passed in relative silence.

Now he was standing in the cold outside the inn that the letter had instructed him to come to. He suppressed a surge of giddiness and pushed the door open, stepping into the warmth. The sounds of drunken revelry were the first things to greet him. The patrons were mostly nords which made picking out the author of the letter all the easier. There was already a large group around the table so Dantus hurried over, robes flapping in a rather undignified manner.

"Ah- hello there!"
    He exclaimed, thrusting a hand out to the robed altmer. He glanced over at the breton knight, guessing she was a bodyguard of some kind. "Dantus of Leyawiin, at your service. I cannot tell you how excited I am to be part of this expedition!" He beamed at the surrounding group, noting that most looked more the mercenary type rather than scholarly. "So, when do we start?"

• Like Like x 3
  12. The Seraph

Alindion lit up even more at the redguard's words. "Good! Good, now I must wonder, what are your capabilities? What have you fought before, have you ever been in a Dwemer ruin be-" excitedly asked Alindion before being pleasantly interrupted yet again. He saw a waiting hand and upon that, an Imperial scholar! Alindion nearly let out a shout of relief that he would not be alone in this. Ignoring that he was staring at Vienna, Alindion excitedly said in nearly a single breath, "Welcome! Welcome! We are very, very grateful to have you! Now are you a scholar? You look the type! Good you're a scholar! Now, what is your name and have you ever studied the Dwemer before? Do you have your research with you?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. The_Lost_Foxtrot

The_Lost_Foxtrot Lord of Shadows

Vaylin blinked twice at Vienna's question, before she chuckled and rubbed the back of her neck in slight embaressment, a feeling of annoyence and slight amusement not her own creeping up her back, "oh his around, his just a bit....shy.... around others" she stated with another chuckle, adjusting her bow over her shoulder before returning her focus to the two women before her, "so you lot must have been to quite a few Dwemer ruins in you're time to plan such a big expodition then? you know of the various traps and mechanics down there? like the spiders and spheres" she asked in one go before her eyes lit up in excitement. "Oohh! maybe we'll even run into one of those big star light locked vaults of theirs!? now that would be fun! or is it sun light? I can never seem to remember that part...." she declared happily before ending in a small thoughtful murmur as she placed a hand over her mought in wonder, unconsciously tapping into some old knowledge and memories not her own.

• Like Like x 1