Initial Likes & Dislikes from a Newbie

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
As I'm playing Oblivion, I wanted to share a few likes and dislikes that I've encountered thus far (remember, I'm only at level 2 so I'm not very far in, although I feel like I've done so much!):

Like: That random NPCs will come up to you and ask for your help, opening a new questline.
Dislike: Too many quests at once! Good gravy, I'm only at level 2 and I already have a dozen different questlines going on that I need to get to! I'm trying hard to do the main questline and every time I turn around somebody else is coming up and asking me to help them do something.

Like: You don't need to choose your improvements, they happen automatically. Example: I do a LOT of sneaking (I just hate getting hit) and now I've improved enough that my boots in no way hinder me.
Dislike: You don't get to choose your improvements. You get to chose points to up for your stats, but, frankly, I have no idea how or what these stats actually affect. Sheesh

Like: You can join the mage guild so easily and you don't have to prove anything.
Dislike: That all you have to do is a favor for somebody at the local guild so that you can get a recommendation? The guild apparently doesn't do anything but sell spells? You have to join the university.

Like: That you can actually see the tumblers when you're attempting to pick a lock
Dislike: That you can actually see the tumblers when you're attempting to pick a lock as they move but have no clue when you can actually set the tumbler to open. Apparently it's all about timing. I just can't imagine that you would be able to sit there for 20 minutes messing with a lock without somebody seeing you.

Like: That you can take useful things from barrels and crates.
Dislike: That there is no indication that you're actually stealing from crates and barrels. It just says "take", not "steal"

Like: That there are so many useful items that you can find and that you can sell for a decent price.
Dislike: That there is even a "haggle" option. While I kind of know how it works now on the "persuade" side, it doesn't seem to serve a purpose other than being frustrating and allowing the NPCs to call you an idiot.

Like: That you're expected to figure out how to make it through a quest yourself and not be babied through with step by step instructions. Example: Initial TG, just before you're allowed to join. It's straight forward enough that you have to steal the journal but they don't tell you where it is, only that you should speak with some people for info. Then you don't even get it and have to steal it again, but they don't tell you how or where it is, even though you know who has it. I had to keep reloading because I kept getting caught trying to pick-pocket it off the person who stole it. I figured it out though!
Dislike: That they don't tell you anything and give you random times that even they don't adhere to. Example: Again - "meet me at midnight at so and so place": 1) Such a place isn't even named anywhere, either on the map or when you get there and 2) I showed up at 4:30am and the meeting was still on? What, have y'all been waiting this whole time for me? I know I'm really late. I didn't expect you'd have stood around twiddling you thumbs this whole time. Honestly, you should have gone and gotten drinks.

Like: Random encounters on the road. Sure they're not as robust as Skyrim, but, hey, they're a good opportunity to get some loot and up my destruction skills.
Dislike: What's with all the bandits? Even when there's Legion riding the road, there's bandits poppinig out of the woodwork ALL the time and they do nothing! Well, that's not really true. They do nothing if the attack YOU. They do something if they attack them.

There are so many more re: caves, goblins, burned and abandoned buildings, NPCs saying and doing stuff that means nothing and on and on and on. BTW: what's with all the burned out buildings? Sheesh - do we have an arsonist wandering about?

On a side note: I love the Oblivion Gates! So far I've closed 2 (one at Kvatch and another on the way to the Imperial City up in the hills). It's a great diversion. Sure there ain't pl*** there to collect, but I really get a kick out of 'em and that fiery, lavaie (???), depressingingly corpse-filled realm. :)

JoeReese

My recent desire to play again has already worn itself down to "meh.?" It's the same as before. I can get a great, super expensive, sword that does...(drumroll)....4. They take 20-30 hp away from me with every hit, while I'm chopping away for 4 whole points each, 9 if I can get an enchantment. Woohoo! It also gets confused and, half the time, the buttons don't respond. So you can't fire the spell until after they've moved, can't block until after they've hit you, etc. I'll take Skyrim, any day.

Hurry up, Skywind and Skyblivion.

I guess that is why the game is called Oblivion and not Cyrodiil, all the really cool stuff happens in the realm of Oblivion..

I also hate the persuade mini game or as I call it mini headache, like most players I just bribe the hell out of any NPCs I'm trying to influence.

Daelon DuLac

My recent desire to play again has already worn itself down to "meh.?" It's the same as before. I can get a great, super expensive, sword that does...(drumroll)....4. They take 20-30 hp away from me with every hit, while I'm chopping away for 4 whole points each, 9 if I can get an enchantment. Woohoo! It also gets confused and, half the time, the buttons don't respond. So you can't fire the spell until after they've moved, can't block until after they've hit you, etc. I'll take Skyrim, any day.

Since it's my first playthrough I'm playing on "as easy as it gets" so I don't have the issue with damage that you do. It does drive me nuts that I have to wack the heck out of everything in order to kill it with my sword though. I can do 13 x 3 damage from sneak with my bow already so why is my sword so frickin' weak? It's sad that my katana only does 3 but the dagger I just found with the frost enchantment does 6? That doesn't even make sense.

Daelon DuLac

Since it's my first playthrough I'm playing on "as easy as it gets" so I don't have the issue with damage that you do. It does drive me nuts that I have to wack the heck out of everything in order to kill it with my sword though. I can do 13 x 3 damage from sneak with my bow already so why is my sword so frickin' weak? It's sad that my katana only does 3 but the dagger I just found with the frost enchantment does 6? That doesn't even make sense.
On you last part. I agree. While I'm finding Oblivion addictive since I'm so new, I miss the straight forward nature of Skyrim already. I just wish they would do a Skywind or Skyblivion as TESO is a HUGE disappointment to me. Yeah, it's pretty, but it's basically Skyrim with a whole bunch of crap thrown in that I'll never use or need and, after a certain level (I think it's 20), single-player mode ends up being so limited that it's not as much fun. I DON'T WANT TO PLAY AS AN MMO! I like you folks on the forums, but, frankly you're a bunch of real a**holes to play with in the game (I'm talking to you spousy-wousy!). :)

I don't really think it matters that much. I mean, I have been with the Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall technically and the first TES I bought was Morrowind and when I got Oblivion, it was exactly like Skyrim coming out in 2011; it was super realistic, there was so much more you could have in one area, the magic system was so great that I was forever changed into a mage and I didn't give a crap about anything else. I'm actually surprised you can actually play the game, most of my friends who started with Skyrim and tried Oblivion rarely got 10 minutes outside the Imperial Sewers before they put it down. Sometimes I feel sorry for you guys because being able to play a game like Morrowind or Oblivion without a care in the world for graphics for outdated concepts really does give you a perspective on things were I can really appreciate how far TES has come and I can only hope for the best for the future of the franchise but I also know that with the next installment in the franchise (definitely not ESO) you will have new guys coming along who will eventually try to go backwards like you and point out so many things they don't like and you will be like "fl*ff you, in 2011 this was the pl*ps" and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear where you are coming from The Quantum Potatoe, First TS game I had was Morrowind on the original xbox. A friend had Daggerfall on his computer and I used watch him play it, though I never wanted to play it myself. I got into Oblivion two years after it came out and I was totally stoked at the realism of Oblivion compared to Morrrowind. You make a good point, however I still hate that persuade mini game though.

I hear where you are coming from The Quantum Potatoe, First TS game I had was Morrowind on the original xbox. A friend had Daggerfall on his computer and I used watch him play it, though I never wanted to play it myself. I got into Oblivion two years after it came out and I was totally stoked at the realism of Oblivion compared to Morrrowind. You make a good point, however I still hate that persuade mini game though.

I actually just recently cracked the code on that and know how to manipulate it to my advantage whereas I always used to bribe or use my charm spells.

JoeReese

Ok, the situation has now changed. At level 6, I completed the mage guild recommendations and joined the college. Well...at level 6 with a destruction level of 40, I was able to build my own drain health spell. 100 (that's right, one fluffing hundred) points health drain, ranged attack, for about 45 magicka per use. Talk about a freaking game changer. I also made a chaos spell, which only did 5 each, fire, shock, and frost, but it turned out to cost almost as much magicka and obviously didn't do as much damage. So far, flame atronachs and zombies have been the only things unaffected by the drain health, but the mages staff they do for you does 40 fire damage per shot, so again no problems. Talk about a game changer. I went from mosquito stinging to one-shot sniping master vampires overnight. Muhahahahahahaha. o_O

I was also able to enchant a sword to do another 29 points of damage. (11 fire, 9 frost, 9 shock) at the same level.

DO THE COLLEGE QUEST.

Daelon DuLac

Ok, the situation has now changed. At level 6, I completed the mage guild recommendations and joined the college. Well...at level 6 with a destruction level of 40, I was able to build my own drain health spell. 100 (that's right, one fluffing hundred) points health drain, ranged attack, for about 45 magicka per use. Talk about a freaking game changer. I also made a chaos spell, which only did 5 each, fire, shock, and frost, but it turned out to cost almost as much magicka and obviously didn't do as much damage. So far, flame atronachs and zombies have been the only things unaffected by the drain health, but the mages staff they do for you does 40 fire damage per shot, so again no problems. Talk about a game changer. I went from mosquito stinging to one-shot sniping master vampires overnight. Muhahahahahahaha. o_O

I was also able to enchant a sword to do another 29 points of damage. (11 fire, 9 frost, 9 shock) at the same level.

DO THE COLLEGE QUEST.
I is! I is! But I have to find the guilds first and I have no idea where any of the cities are so I have to just run in to them in my travels. I wish I had a giant wall map of Cyrodil like I do with Skyrim, that way I'd know where I am at any given time. :)

JoeReese

You have that little map. Hit your menu button, then pull your trigger til it's over the directional bar. When there, you have two different maps, in addition to your quest logs. One "big" is still a small map, but shows the province. You just have to lumber your arrow around and it's dirt slow. From the capital city, you move in any direction and you'll find a city, and you can fast travel without having discovered them first.

DO THE COLLEGE QUEST.

On one of my recent characters that was a master in Destruction, Illusion, and Conjuration, I waltzed into the Imperial City Market District and took control of a gauntlet of Imperial Guards using an area effect dominate humanoid spell, conjured a Lich and started laying waste to the Imperial City. That's one of things about being a high level mage; eventually through hard work and many hours, you become a god to all but the toughest bosses or that Wraith with a silence spell.

Daelon DuLac

You have that little map. Hit your menu button, then pull your trigger til it's over the directional bar. When there, you have two different maps, in addition to your quest logs. One "big" is still a small map, but shows the province. You just have to lumber your arrow around and it's dirt slow. From the capital city, you move in any direction and you'll find a city, and you can fast travel without having discovered them first.
Yeah. I've used it, but it is so difficult to use (not like Skyrim's) and you are right, it is incredibly slow. Besides, since it's my first runthrough, it's kind of fun to make discoveries. :)

JoeReese

Aye, but I'm thoroughly enjoying being able to do more than just try to paper cut them to death.

Daelon DuLac

Aye, but I'm thoroughly enjoying being able to do more than just try to paper cut them to death.
I actually do have a lightning spell that I bought that seems to be working pretty well too. I can get 4 good ones off before I run out of magicka and then I still have my sword and bow. I'm not greedy (and I can run away pretty good too!). :)

The Quantum Potatoe, you are a clever fellow, please feel free to drop me a line and let me know how the mini persaude works, like you, I use charm spells or just bribe the hell out of them.

The Quantum Potatoe, you are a clever fellow, please feel free to drop me a line and let me know how the mini persaude works, like you, I use charm spells or just bribe the hell out of them.

Well it's quite simple really. As you may know there are four different sections on the wheel. Joke, Coerce, Admire, and Boast. The names are unimportant but the yellow shade is. Once you activate the wheel, the time will start ticking and every few moments the number in the middle of the wheel (how much they like you) will go down by 1. Now once you activate it, you will need to watch the person's face, specifically the person's mouth. Each moving the cursor over each section will provoke a different reaction: one section will cause the person to have big smile, another a moderate smile, one a small frown, and one more will cause a big frown. This is where the yellow shading comes in: the largest shaded area has the most affect and vice versa. The trick is getting the sections that the person likes the most to get the most effect while making sure that the sections that the person likes the least get the least effect. It can take a little bit for a novice in speechcraft to max out the person's disposition but its a skill that levels up quick and the higher it is, the easier it is to get the person's favor. You should also know that a master in Speechcraft is able to commit all but the worst crimes and a guard won't arrest you or at least as far as I know.

TheEvilQueen

Dunmer Fangirl
The skills are so hard to figure out for sure! I'd suggest re rolling and reading everything super careful use uesp if you need to! I'm always here for questions too btw! <3

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts