PC Incredibly long load/save times

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

WesternDevil

My game has run just fine on a complete quest completion once already. Decided to run again with a bunch of mods and i've noticed that my save times are around 2mins as well as my load screens. Even quicksaving takes 2 mins. Since i've already beat all the quests that i cared to once already, with same pc and same setting and same everyting, I figured it was because of the mods. Deleted all mods and still have problem. Couldn't find any pc related topics, only xbox360/ps3, i figured i'd try here. Any help would be much appreciated. Like i said, the only thing i changed was mods since my first run through, and deleting them all didn't help anything.

Running:
Windows 7 64-bit
8 gigs of ram
AMD Sapphire 6950 gpu
Phenom II X6 1090T (Black Edition)

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
How about the number of saved games you have total? Is it an egregious amount?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, they're usually somewhere in the steamapps/Skyrim/saves or similar depending on where you have it installed. Have you tried to do the verify game cache or game integrity through Steam to see if any of your base files are corrupted?

WesternDevil

Verifying it found a bad file but didn't help anything. However in my saves under C:\Users\Username\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves it says there are saves such as autosave1.ess and autosave1.ess.bak which i would guess stands for backup? Could that be the problem?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
No, those are standard.

As far as deleting the mods, did you look at the text files that accompany them to see if there were any special uninstall directions?

WesternDevil

I unsubscribed to all the mods from steam, and deleted the one's from nexus mod manager. Then checked the steamapps\common\skyrim\data folder where all the apps seem to be stored to make sure they were really deleted.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, some of the mods force you to jump through some extra hoops in order to get them out of the game. Mod data may still be stored in your saves. The mods should come with some kind of README file or similar to give you specific instructions for each one.

WesternDevil

Found out what it was. Dwarven armory mod, where i had everything imaginable stored. Got rid of that and now my load times are still long...but at least i can quicksave normally now, which was my major problem. Guess i was just hoarding too much stuff. Lost all my stuff when i deleted mod :sadface: Looks like I'll just start a new game.

WesternDevil

Yeah that's probably a good idea. Thanx for the help. Much appreciated. Hope this helps anyone who had the same problem i did.

hsuyeung

Fresh reinstall, no more mods, still stuck on same loading time, even after fast travelling. in fact, fast travelling loading times are about the same too.
The more I search this issue, the more I wanna give up.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Did you check your inventory for a ton of copies of something? Like keys? Does it lag like that on a brand new game? Or just on a current saved game?

hsuyeung

My inventory is pretty clean. Most copies I have are arrows. about 100+ of em. Just tried starting a brand new game. Loads just as slow for the very beginning, and loading too. This is depressing.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Did you properly uninstall the mods based on whatever their info is? What patch level are you running? Do you have the current drivers for your graphics card?

hsuyeung

The mods basically have no uninstall info. I added them via NMM, so I removed them that way.
Patch is version 1.6.89.
Drivers are up to date.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering if there's some lingering invasive thing from one of the mods. Generally speaking, if you've got a good patch and the up to date graphics drivers, the base game plus patches shouldn't stall on load up. The other potential issue could be something in the audio. I know some people have changed their audio settings on the OS side to help. But typically that's been for crashes on the load screen.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts