Improving the First Person Perspective

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KayO199X

I know Skyrim (like a lot of Bethesda's other games) can be played in both a 1st and 3rd person perspective. However, i prefer the first person perspective, and that is why i would like to see it improved either in a DLC, mod, or even Bethesda's next game. Here are some ways the First person perspective could be improved.

1. Never leave 1st person- I don't like how the game frequenly cuts to the 3rd person for crafting or certain finishing moves. In my opinion, i should only move to 3rd person when i tell the game to. All these cut scenes should be in 1st person. For example, if your character is knocked down, you see him/her pick themself up from a first person point of view.

2. Horseback riding in first person- You could do this in Oblivion, so why not Skyrim.

3. Seeing your legs- This was my only major disappointment with Skyrim. When you look at the ground, you should see your character's legs, so you don't feel like a floating camera. Being able to see your legs could also be combined with the addition of a kicking ability.

I really hope Bethesda improves their handling of first person in the future.

LoadZ

I agree with point number 3. How the fl*ff is it almost 2012 and legendary companies like Bethesda are still releasing games where we're forced to play as a floating camera.

I mostly agree with your first point too.

However horseback riding in first person isn't the answer either. I think they just need to make 3rd person more fun, and feel more like riding a real horse

The floating camera gets on my nerves too. In a game so intricate it just seems odd. And I'm vain and like to see my lady shoes.

One of the only two things that annoyed me in Fallout 3. Second being indestructible children, but I believe there is already a thread about that where parents get oddly defensive or something.

KayO199X

One other improvement i forgot to mention is the additon of seeing your shadow in first person. If you switch from 3rd to 1st person, your shadow dissappears.

One game that did the first person perspective perfectly in my opinion was Dead Island (which has a few things in common with Skyrim). Almost every moment in that game is from a first person perspective (even driving). If only the story wasn't so cliche and the actor's hadn't been so hammy, this could have been a good game for me.

Umphrey

Valid points which I agree with overall. I'd just like to add a bit about the horses. First off, the 1st person riding in Oblivion was awful in my opinion. I found it difficult to control for whatever reason. I am fairly pleased with how they did it strictly in the 3rd person in Skyrim; the concept anyway. However, does anyone else find riding almost pointless in this game?

My first point is that the horses seem extremely slow to me. Am I the only one feeling this way? Not to mention the inability to fire an arrow or magic from your horse. So you are forced to dismount, while the annoying wolves or bear is hacking at you. Then once you're off, half of the time the enemy continue to attack your horse while you attempt to gain aggro. I have lost several horses in this way. With fast travel and carriages I think that horses are ALMOST not worth it at all. Occasionally they are useful if something is way out in the middle of no where, where you haven't discovered something close by. Even then you still have to deal with the mobs and choppy dismount.

Onyx

I agree with seeing legs in first person. Could probably extend that to shoulders and arms (when no wep equiped) as in real life (apparently a mystical realm seperate from Skyrim :) )you see these things.

Funny how very few games actually add this. I remember it was included in Heros of M&M the first person hack and slash and also in BF3 (although looks odd but at least they made the effort).

Regarding Point 1 I actually do not mind certain things being in third person (like finishing moves or chopping wood) as for me it gives a better visual impression. Would be an idea if they add the option to view in 3rd person or 1st person exclusive (so all can be happy).

also, this is small but when you do spinning attacks (like duel wield power attack), in third person you spin around (and it looks awesome) but in First person it is like you body is spinning but you head is staying fixed, would be nice if you span around in 1st person to (although might be disorienting in the heat of battle which is why I guess they did not do it)

Umphrey

So you are forced to dismount, while the annoying wolves or bear is hacking at you.

Also, maybe my knowledge on wildlife isn't accurate, but shouldn't a horse be more than capable of outrunning a wolf or bear? Lol just sayin...

Stoneking

A grizzly bear can reach speeds of a race horse over short distances actually. But yea, I personally hate first person. If I wanted to play first person i'd play cod or doom. Rpg's are meant to be 3rd person in my opinion.

Umphrey

A grizzly bear can reach speeds of a race horse over short distances actually. But yea, I personally hate first person. If I wanted to play first person i'd play cod or doom. Rpg's are meant to be 3rd person in my opinion.

Well if Bethesda went so far as to allow for race horse speed sprints for a bear, I would like to be able to shoot them from my saddle! Since accuracy is the name of the game (apparently) lol

Swedestanlogical

Premium Member
Also, maybe my knowledge on wildlife isn't accurate, but shouldn't a horse be more than capable of outrunning a wolf or bear? Lol just sayin...
Yes the horse should be able to out run a wolf in a fair race -but only after unloading the rider - but most wolf, bear, mountian lion attacks are ambushes - horse would rear-up drop rider - let bear, wolf or mountain lion munch on rider while said horse will start grazing from a safe distance

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts