• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Should i join the Stormcloaks or Imperials?

• Total voters

Pwnagemeister

I'm like level 20 and i havn't picked a side yet. Which should i join? I really want to live in Markarth, and i've heard the Stormcloaks get that in the negotiation, but is there any way to live in Markarth still or have the Stormcloaks not get Markarth? I really need to know because I am getting kind of far into the main quest, and I would like to join a particular side soon. If there is no way to keep the Stormcloaks from getting Markarth, is it possible to complete the main quest without joining sides?

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
I've finished it without joining sides. Also if your unsure, get the Markarth house before you join a side.

Pwnagemeister

Yeah i'm not concerned about getting the house, i'm concerned about the guards attacking me whenever i go to visit that house... Would that happen?
But it's good to know that i don't have to choose sides.

modi

What is your race and playstyle? if you are an Imperial, Redguard, High Elf, or Breton Hero type, then I'd go with the legion. If you are anything else, I would go with the Stormcloaks, but that is just my opinion.

wolfslash69

well, i went with stormcloaks my first way through the game and still with them on my second toon. As narrow minded as the nords are i think they have a good reason for fighting the legion. really how would do you think the legion would like it if the nords were trying to take over cyridal.... (sorry if i spelled that wrong.)

SSmith2830

I joined to answer this question as I wanted to explain the imperial side of things. MINOR SPOILERS…I am almost always an imperial and so I am an imperial again but when I started and looked at the picture stormcloaks seem to be better side. There rebels fighting for there land and feel they are not being treated well. But after doing all the history since the events of oblivion I have seen whats going on in the big picture. As most of us know the great war started after oblivion. The Aldmeri Dominion tried to banish Talos and took over valenwood and summerset isles. Then told the empire to not try to recapture and to also ban talos but they denied and the great war started. The AD invaded hammerfell and cyrodiil. After a long violent and bloody war the empire looked at the losses and decided they had to give in as they could not continue the campaign. Now well still hurt from the war and hating but having to agree with thalmor the empire has a civil war in skyrim. The reason to side with the imperials is simple. The thalmor want them to kill each other and for the stormcloaks to win. Once they push the imperials out and weaken them more the thamlor will attack again and the empire will not be able to hold out. After this skyrim is next and will stand no chance against the AD. The AD will rise and take over. The imperials are just waiting to regain power and the strength to take on the AD. But the civil war is not helping. They don’t like the thalmor and the thalmor don’t like this but there at a stalemate. Its like your manager giving you a lot of work to do that has to be today. Then another manager comes up to and gives you more work that will delay you. They want to destroy the thalmor but cant with this civil war. The empire is the only thing stopping them so if you want the thalmor to win and want every nord and imperial to die side with the stormcloaks. They don’t realize that the imperials are the only thing stopping the thalmor. If it were up to me both sides would come together and get the thalmor. The imperials are like cops. They can be jackasses and sometimes piss you off. But you know if they weren’t there then your house would be on fire and civil life would be imposible. Well theres the speech. A lot of people think the stormcloaks are right but I disagree and say imperials are the heros that will save tamriel and stop the thalmor.

Smith i agree with all you have said above but (kinda role playing this as a nord) the imperials do not see if from the nord side of things and just because the nords do stuff different the imperials can not try to force a different way of life on them. I just made my first trip to Solitude and just came into the presence of the High Queen, it seems her court (none nord) would say the way nords do things is sillyy and barbaric.

Yes nord rules fight for the throne and yes Ulric won so with our customs he has the right to rule. Another strike is trying to surpress our freedom to to worship Talos. For me as a Nord the imperials spat on all of our customs and beliefs........We nord are proud people and to force a different way off life upon them is reason for war.

(I still havent chosen a side yet )

SSmith2830

well its true that imperials have not been kind to the nords but nords are very well known to be raciest. i think the imperials are just mad that the nords are fighting them this much in there time of need when the ban of talos was not something they choose. it was a do this or alot more people die type thing. other than the talos ban i cant see how the imperials are forcing a different way of life on them and again talos ban was the thalmors idea not imperials. i also think imperials are playing the part of keeping cool with the thalmor and just waiting until the time comes.

this was on another site where i posted this. someone asked a similar question/statement about why dont they just leave and this was my response.
I agree with that they should just leave skyrim. But i think the reason there is a rebellion is because the imperials have been focusing on the thalmor and not really watching there people. before the events of the great war (it would seem) the nords were happy. All providences were happy and together with the empire. But then before and during the war the empire lost valenwood, summerset isles, black marsh, elsweyr, and hammerfell. also to note is that black marsh invades morrowind and they are also basically lost and high rock (not part of the empire but are allies) gets invaded by the thalmor. i guess the imperials want skyrim for a couple reasons.
1. Pride-there all thats left of the empire. they dont want to lose them too.
2. Man power-nords are good fighters i mean look at the stormcloaks. they need there help to fight the thalmor not for them to be there enemys
3. Strategy-Cyrodiil is surronded by what is now enemys or neutral providences. Skyrim was used during the great war for the imperials to fall back, regroup, and take back cyrodiil. Skyrim has no one north of it and well is a good strategy point. if the war didnt just happen and all the other providences hadnt been lost or left the empire then i dont think the imperials would go to the trouble of fighting in skyrim. in history they generally just let groups who want to leave leave. so theres my point on that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts