Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jaeger

I had a thread for this same question soooo heres what I learned, Ulfric is pretty racist and im a redguard I think in Ulfrics ideal world my character wouldnt have a place...He is also on the hook for callous war crimes and he pretty much seems to just want to be the High King no matter who has to die.The imperials are all total assholes who seem to be letting the Thalmor take over Skyrim and not standing up for themselves because of some peace treaty formed in Oblivion (which I didnt play). Which asshole to chose, tough choice lol Anyways I was reading up like a true Skyrim addict and I stumbled across this prettty good argument to join the imperials http://ablestmage.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/why-you-should-become-an-imperial-not-a-stormcloak/ that there be the link =) tbh im not finding anything as convincing for the other side but I am still on the fence hope this helps ^.^ If I find anything new to back up the stormcloaks ill let you know =)

Seeing as how the Imperials gave away red guard land to the Thalmor and the redguard fought a bitter war and whoop the Thalmors ass with no help from the Empire, which gave the Nords the ideal that they're not unbeatable. If only the empire stay out like they did in Hammerfell...

The Redguard and the Empire don't see eye-to-eye right now.

Again, If the empire would let the nords alone, they could get an army back in cyrodiil and prepare to face the thalmor once more. Meanwhile, the stormcloaks could do the same. The thalmor did not even managed to capture hammerfell, and it's a fricking desert with a nomad populace. The nords are a very strong race and could defend themself very well against the aldmeri dominion. Then after the thalmor is beaten, the empire and the stormcloaks could start peaceful negotiation to welcome the nords once more amongst the empire. The skyrim war is simply a tiring war between two faction with a slight opinion disagreement, that's why the thalmor intended to save ulfric. Because they knew that if the war would go on, both the nords and the empire would be too weak to resist another assault from them.

And for you'se siding with the empire, your strings are being pulled by the Thalmor. Hello, patsies!!!

Niflheimr

There is no good and bad side, they're both bad. Ulfric's movement is actually selfish move in order to gain more power by becoming the high king. The Empire are not any better, they're the Thamlor's puppets and care little for Skyrim.
That's what I loved about the game, there is no good and bad side.

Btw could someone please explain what difference does it make finishing the main quest before the civil war ones?

And for you'se siding with the empire, your strings are being pulled by the Thalmor. Hello, patsies!!!
Both sides are Thalmor puppets- but niether side is directly. Read the freaking Thalmor Dossier on Ulfric Stormcloak.
And Niflheimr, the Main Quest has one quest that can't be done if you finish the Civil War- a temporary peace treaty. If you do this quest you can't finish the Civil War until after you finish the Main Quest.

brandon

Btw could someone please explain what difference does it make finishing the main quest before the civil war ones?
as for finishing the main quest first i dont know yet. but ive defended both the imperials and the stormcloacks in the game and on here. but i completed the main quest for the first time ever this play through. and i joined the imperials even though both sides hated me for my decision at the meeting. i wanted to be fair and impartial and neither side gained an advantage from the meeting. after i killed alduin i joined the imperials and started the theives guild quest. then i got the bright idea to start the mages quest. then i got an even brighter idea and did the db quest to see how the war goes without an emperor

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Seeing as how the Imperials gave away red guard land to the Thalmor and the redguard fought a bitter war and whoop the Thalmors ass with no help from the Empire, which gave the Nords the ideal that they're not unbeatable. If only the empire stay out like they did in Hammerfell...

The Redguard and the Empire don't see eye-to-eye right now.

Again, If the empire would let the nords alone, they could get an army back in cyrodiil and prepare to face the thalmor once more. Meanwhile, the stormcloaks could do the same. The thalmor did not even managed to capture hammerfell, and it's a fricking desert with a nomad populace. The nords are a very strong race and could defend themself very well against the aldmeri dominion. Then after the thalmor is beaten, the empire and the stormcloaks could start peaceful negotiation to welcome the nords once more amongst the empire. The skyrim war is simply a tiring war between two faction with a slight opinion disagreement, that's why the thalmor intended to save ulfric. Because they knew that if the war would go on, both the nords and the empire would be too weak to resist another assault from them.

First of all the war between Hammerfell and the Thalmor was immediately after the great war when the Thalmor were severely weakened. Second of all it ended in a treaty between the two and third of all reguards are more talented and trained warriors than Nords.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Thomas Liu

tyl089
Ulfric is a triple crosser; he was a Thalmor agent, then betrayed them, then he betrayed the Empire when it was weakened by the war with the Thalmor's.

The empire is arrogant, and shouldn't have abandoned the Red Guards, but they're still not truly despicable as ulfric hiding behind a cloak of nobility while stabbing everyone in the back.

Medieval or at least Medieval inspired rulers are very rarely figures who truly happen to be on the side of the angels.

Ulfric most likely IS a man dedicated to his own persuit of power, but with the grim morality going on in the world of Elder Scrolls at the moment that's hardly the worst thing one can be. Even more so when the enemy you fight lowers itself by torturing and executing people opposed to their empire.

Legolas Auditore

You know, everyone gets all emotional about the civil war... It's weird. IT'S A VIRTUAL WORLD PEOPLE!! But i get it. im a stormcloak, so i hate imperials. the thing is, the story is completely different depending on the side you choose. there is no ultimately "good" or "evil" side to it. In my opinion, both sides have their flaws. Sure, ulfric is power-hungry, even in the stormcloaks questline, but i like him because he's BA and he's humble, like he refused be crowned until all the other jarls agreed in a moot. and he has a sense of humor if you catch him in the right moments. on the other side, the imperials really had no choice in letting the elves tale over, but i still think theyre being pussies about it. but i AM a wood elf and the stormcloaks have offended me several times.

Legolas Auditore

Ulfric is a triple crosser; he was a Thalmor agent, then betrayed them, then he betrayed the Empire when it was weakened by the war with the Thalmor's.

The empire is arrogant, and shouldn't have abandoned the Red Guards, but they're still not truly despicable as ulfric hiding behind a cloak of nobility while stabbing everyone in the back.

He was a thalmor agent? i thought they said he was just an imperial hero? because the thalmor are the agents of the aldmeri dominion, which are altmer.

Elgrif

Skooma Alchemist
If you listen to the Talos worshiper in Whiterun the Nords believe that Talos is the lord of all the divines; I kind of see why people would be ticked off at this.

Jojobinks70

If you listen to the Talos worshiper in Whiterun the Nords believe that Talos is the lord of all the divines; I kind of see why people would be ticked off at this.

Even though I am a Stormcloak, I waited until dark one night and killed that fanatic and dragged his ass up to his tent. Whiterun is a much nicer place now. I am mean how can people enjoy the beautiful tree I restored with his constant proselytizing! Good riddance.

kaisersaucy

I've gone for Stormcloaks

My reasons being: That my character is a Nord, that the Imperials were going to execute him despite there being no evidence that he'd done anything wrong & just because he was captured near Ulfric and other Stormcloaks. That in Helgens dungeons and in other parts of the game we see that the Imperials are not above torture. They are also puppets of the Aldmeri dominion & again the Aldmeri treat everyone like dirt, they torture people - saw some very graphic and gory evidence of this, the have abolished the worship of talos & are brutally suppressing, killing, and torturing anyone who even questions them. As the Imperials are just their puppets I found it easy to side with the Stormcloaks.

I'll have to do a playthrough eventually where I go with the Imperials just for the sake of experiencing everything, but I don't really like them or their methods.

That said I haven't actually played much of the stormcloaks missions yet

I've gone for Stormcloaks

My reasons being: That my character is a Nord, that the Imperials were going to execute him despite there being no evidence that he'd done anything wrong & just because he was captured near Ulfric and other Stormcloaks. That in Helgens dungeons and in other parts of the game we see that the Imperials are not above torture. They are also puppets of the Aldmeri dominion & again the Aldmeri treat everyone like dirt, they torture people - saw some very graphic and gory evidence of this, the have abolished the worship of talos & are brutally suppressing, killing, and torturing anyone who even questions them. As the Imperials are just their puppets I found it easy to side with the Stormcloaks.

I'll have to do a playthrough eventually where I go with the Imperials just for the sake of experiencing everything, but I don't really like them or their methods.

That said I haven't actually played much of the stormcloaks missions yet
You sir, just made me regret joining the Imperials

Shadowbane

Premium Member
I chose the Storm Cloaks because

1. the Imperials are a bunch of pansy's for catering to the thalmor
2. Ulfric It just an all around bad a$$, Id follow him to hell and back I would
3. and most importantly I F@#$ing hate those Elves, the thalmore, are a bunch of smug ,pretentious, snooty, pricks. that act like those rich people you see walking around who act like they are better than everyone. they even have the annoying accent to boot and ulfric seems like the kind of guy that would follow through to take on the thalmor. even if odd are against him

KC95

Both sides are tools. But I specifically dislike the Stormcloaks because of that Ke$ha dressing motherfluffer thats Ulfric's right hand man. So here I am thinking I am being noble by protecting the Nords way of life and their right to worship the false god Talos... and after delivering a message to Ulfric, that guy makes a side comment about "Bretons being prissys" in front of me. Excuse me, Im a Breton, and way more bad ass than you. So I never finished their questline. And have now made another character and they will definitely be an Imperial.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
What Dagmar said. I totally missed out on Season Unending which sounds cool, by completing the Civil War before the main quest... Quests not based on killing are few and far between in Skyrim.

Damn it, I'm starting a second playthrough! I want to kill Ulfric but he's unkillable, I presume because i sided with the Stormcloaks. I chose them out of a natural dislike of Empires, but they turn out to be worse in this case. I don't care much for Talos, much as I don't care for Jesus or any other "divine man".

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
The Thalmor dossier does not say that Ulfric had ever been a collaborator, only that he was a potential asset.
Likewise, Imperial documents describing Ulfric's war crimes cannot be expected to be unbiased.

He still needs to die, though, he's a thug.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts