Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Loredas ~ Wilderness

Two days in Forsworn territory and all I've seen so far is a nordic ruin and an old dwemer tower. The Forsworn disappoint me. Stories of their ferocity in defending their lands must be pure exaggeration.

This pointless task is going to be difficult not because of the danger, but because I can't find the Forsworn.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

My patience was truly wearing thin when I finally saw the camp this evening. An entire third day lost wandering the hills with two idiots in tow. Still, I see the camp before me, from the vantage of a cliff. My minions already dispatched of a Forsworn lookout, so I'm assured I've found one of their camps. It's a rather large camp, which bodes well for finding a briarheart.

I will rest my feet tonight and send my bodies in tomorrow to see what damage they can do. I hope their fighting skills are more impressive than their communication skills.

BIGwooly

Morndas ~ Wilderness

Although I miss the powers I used to possess, I will freely admit it's becoming an enjoyable challenge making use of this fool's limited knowledge. The concept of sending others to fight on your behalf is not all in all a terrible strategy. I'm learning to enjoy it .. but more importantly, I'm learning to master it.

The barbarian charged in first, entirely without concern for his safety. Not that he should have any concern. He was dead already after all. But still, the reaver from Solstheim is much more careful and to some extent ... cunning. Perhaps their dead selves are a reflection of their live selves.

Regardless, the barbarian fulfilled his role and left a trail of bodies in his wake before he fell to some powerful magic. Rather, the magic conjured a frost atronach ... and the atronach smashed the barbarian. I raised a fallen Forsworn to take his place, and then another to take that one's place. This went on for some time, until everyone was dead except for myself .. and my minions ... although technically they are dead as well.

I've left the barbarian and the reaver behind. Two of the Forsworn were very powerful, not only with magic but also with blades. I've selected to continue on with them. I've yet to see a briarheart, but there was a cave atop the cliffs. It's possible there is a briarheart inside. None of the Forsworn survived to alert any others in the cave, so I will still possess the element of surprise.

With any luck, this will all be over with tonight and I will be able to start heading back in the morning.

BIGwooly

Tirdas ~ Wilderness

The task is finished. I have the briarheart and merely need to return to Neloth to hand it over. I would say I hope that wretch appreciates the difficulty of the task he requested, but I'm certain he cares not in the least. And as such I won't care when his time comes to an end.

At least I was able to savor in the irony of watching the briarheart fall to his fellow Forsworn. The sisters have proven to be a formidable team. We entered the cave and took the Forsworn by surprise. Each of them fell, including the briarheart, with relative ease to my duo.

I'm looking forward to turning them loose on Neloth.

BIGwooly

Middas ~ Windhelm

Tomorrow I leave on a ship for Solstheim, my fare paid in full thanks to foolish thief I encountered on the road from Whiterun. The sisters made short work of the Kajiit, who I warned in advance to leave us be. He chose not to listen to my advice, and he paid with his life. The gem in his pocket helped secure my passage back to Neloth.

That brings me to a perplexing point. I thoroughly enjoy watching the sisters kill anything in my path, but Neloth has outsmarted me and I only just realized it. He has constructed a magical portal of sorts that brings one upward inside his abode, from the entry level to his living quarters. It struck me tonight that he only has ever allowed me to come up to him. My minions have always had to remain behind in the entry. There is no way for them to use the portal without Neloth's consent, and no other way for them to reach the upper level.

I'll be on my own when I face Neloth, and I'll have to rely on my conjuration skills. I'll need some other way to shift the balance of power ....

BIGwooly

Fredas ~ Neloth's Tower

I'm concerned. It seems that when Neloth accessed my mind, he may not have restricted himself to just my memory of the Forsworn camp and the briarheart. It's possible he knows of my plotting against him. The fool is already paranoid of anyone, but if he suspects me at all and has the proof from my mind ....

I'm not afraid of him killing me. He cannot. But he could restrict me access to his tower. If he were to do that I would never gain the chance to end his life and take his soul. I'm very concerned.

Still, I needed his help and had no choice but to ask him. I told him I wanted to learn the spell for paralysis. He told me the only wizard he knew of that could teach me that spell was at the college in Winterhold. I explained that it was not possible for me to go there anymore. I think I saw him smile for the first time. He understood my dilemma. I believe he is also not welcome at the college.

This put my mind at ease a bit regarding him and my plotting. Still, I pursued the question, and asked if there was any other way to obtain the spell. He explained that there wasn't, as far as he knew. And he added that from what he could surmise, my skill in alteration was nowhere near proficient enough to even consider casting such a spell. Unfortunately he is right about that. My body's former owner was limited in her knowledge of the various arts of magic.

Neloth could sense my frustration. I'm certain of that. I could see him relishing in it. He loves knowing he is more capable than everyone around him. That thought only increased my frustration, because I knew it was true presently.

To my surprise, however, he had another suggestion. I can't say for sure yet if I trust him or not, but I don't really have much of a choice currently.

He told me if I agreed to help him with an experiment, he would tell me the location of a staff created nearly a half century ago by another wizard from Morrowind. The staff, he said, possessed the paralysis effect I was searching for. But if I wanted to know the location of it I had to agree to his experiment. He explained that this would involve him casting a spell on me, and then I would report to him any side effects of the spell that I noticed.

To say I wasn't comfortable with this was an understatement. I never trusted Neloth, and I trusted him even less in that moment. He had been using me already as it was. But this was ... it was just going beyond all decency. For all I knew the spell might kill me, not that I should have any problem with that. But what if it reduced my already limited powers? What if this was his way of ensuring I could never fulfill my plot? What if he knew and this was now part of HIS plan?

I debated the decision for some time. It wasn't easy, and Neloth's lack of patience was not helping. Finally, I decided I really had no choice in the matter. Not if I wanted to find this staff. I could only hope that Neloth's bulging ego meant he didn't see me as a threat and merely wanted to try out a new spell on me.

I could also only hope that he was telling the truth about this staff. I will leave tomorrow and find out for myself.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

These undead sisters are a true test of my patience. In combat they are generally capable, and an effective team, and for that I'm grateful. One of them typically rushes in with an axe for melee attacks while the other employs frost magic from a distance. She also sometimes conjures a frost atronach.

Their tactics were never better exemplified than when a large orc came at us with a warhammer just outside Raven Rock. He was a bounty hunter, attempting to collect a debt for Mogrul. Mogrul was owed money by Neloth's new servant, and this oaf now thinks the debt is mine to pay.

Regardless, the orc engaged in close quarters fighting with one of the sisters, while the other assisted at range. The duo was highly effective. The orc presented a strong preference for attacking with power, but the icy spikes that were hitting him drained his stamina and left him unable to perform as he is so used to. The result was his death.

Still, for all their abilities at keeping me alive, the sisters are utterly maddening for me when traveling. They often lag behind me, or get lost and I have to retrace my steps and find them again. Sometimes they will get caught up in the brush or in rocks and I have to help free them. And just an hour ago I headed up a steep trail off of the road and they started to follow me, but then turned and wandered off. I attempted to follow this trail with them three times before giving in to their stupidity. It is like having two children following you with buckets over their heads ... that somehow still manage to fight quite well when the moment presents itself.

I love them and I hate them.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

Neloth! That pompous bastard!

While hiking up another trail this afternoon it started to rain, and immediately a strange sensation came over me. I had forgotten all about the spell Neloth cast on me. But as the rain touched my skin I couldn't help but notice my health was harmed. No healing potion would bring it back. I've been permanently handicapped!

I'm wondering if Neloth sent me off to find this cave, knowing his spell would weaken me and leave me vulnerable for death. Or is he just a deranged old wizard with no regard for anyone but himself? Or both?

This body of mine is already quite weak as it is. Now it's weaker. I must deal with Neloth soon.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

Neloth may be a pompous bastard, but it turns out he was truthful.

By random chance I found the cave he had described to me. Inside the sisters took care of some skeevers, and then some witches and a spider. The cave continued further, but I found no need to continue.

In a dark corner of the cave I found the staff. A staff that paralyzes. The only one of it's kind as far as I know. And it's mine now. This will be Neloth's undoing, and by his own hand. The irony is so sweet on my lips.

But I'm no fool. I know I won't be able to approach Neloth with the staff. I see no scenario where he would let me up to his chamber with the staff. But I have a plan. I will disenchant the staff, and place the enchantment on something more ... concealable.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

I left with the staff this evening, and began the long hike down from the mountain. The trailed behind me, moaning and making all sorts of unintelligible sounds. I've groan used to hearing it, although I'm sure it makes others uncomfortable.

Spending the night in the cave was not a good idea, considering I wasn't sure what else was further back in the cave. There could be more witches ... or worse. So I was to hike in the dark and hope that I didn't run into a bear.

As we reached the bottom of the mountain I noticed the lights of a house in the distance. I had taken note of this place on my way up the mountain, and now it seemed inviting enough for a place to rest my weary feet. I headed across the bridge and toward the quaint cabin.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I didn't expect was to encounter a Stormcloak soldier with his battle-axe drawn. He claimed there was a bounty on me and that I needed to pay the fine and come with him. Now, I've no idea what this bounty is for, but this ignorant brute was definitely not taking any gold from me. Furthermore, I wasn't going anywhere with him.

I refused his request, and fighting ensued. It was dark, and in my weakened state I was afraid of getting caught in the middle of the skirmish. So I used an illusion spell to make myself disappear while the sisters worked in tandem. But the soldier was no young recruit, and his large axe sent one of the sisters flying into the river. I watched helplessly as her body drifted downstream. There was no way to retrieve her.

The other sister, along with the help of a dremora lord I conjured, finished off the axe-wielding soldier. They took down a second soldiers as well. And afterwards I headed down the river to see if the other sister's body had possibly washed ashore. By some stroke of luck, it had. And I brought her back into the world of the living with us.

We returned to the home and the family that lived there seemed fine enough with me spending the night in the miner's camp outside. I'm sure they saw what happened to the soldiers and wanted no part of the sisters' wrath. Fine with me. I'm more than happy to rest my head here for the night. The sister's will stand guard. They don't require sleep.

BIGwooly

Morndas ~ Fort Amol

Neloth was a step ahead of me. He knew what I didn't know. A staff cannot be disenchanted. The magic in a staff cannot be drawn from the staff and learned and be applied to another item. I'm certain Neloth knows this, and I'm certain he knew that I did not.

I only found out because I was passing by this fort. A fort inhabited by a number of mages. Upon seeing them and hearing their threats from atop the walls, I realized that they might have an enchanter's table inside. So I decided to turn the sisters loose and have a look when the dust had settled.

The sisters proved to be yet more of a hassle again. There are times they fight together and are unstoppable. And there are times, like today, that I might as well be sending two bunnies into battle. I nearly died myself from a bolt of lightning while trying to revive one of them.

My conjured dremora lords eventually picked up where the sisters left off, and I cleared the fort by the setting of the sun. Inside I found what I was looking for, and then very quickly discovered that the staff I had just traveled so far to find was useless to me.

I'm sure there are other weapons with paralyzing enchantments on them, but finding one would be like trying to find a specific grain of sand on a beach while blinded.

No. This is a setback, and a serious one, but I will find another way. There has to be another way.

BIGwooly

Middas ~ Whiterun

I've stumbled onto the solution.

I traveled from the fort back to Windhelm, with plans to sail back to Solstheim the following morning. Before heading to the inn I shopped around to see what I could sell the staff for. Personally I prefer to avoid getting my hands dirty, and having a staff like this in my hands is only going to encourage me to get them dirty.

It was while shopping for the best price that I got the idea to try and find a weapon with a paralyze enchantment on it. I had no luck, but decided to travel to Whiterun the next day and see what I could find there.

I didn't have much hope, and as it turned out not one shopkeeper had a weapon with a paralysis enchantment on it. So instead I bartered with one of them to sell the staff for the best price, but this meant leaving his shop with some extra potions I didn't really need.

So I went next door to the apothecary to look into selling or trading the potions. While looking around inside the shop I came across some potion recipes. Unbelievably, one of them was a paralysis potion recipe. The gold couldn't have left my pocket more quickly.

It turns out I can combine canis root and swamp fungal pod to create a potion with the same effect as the staff. I do expect whatever potion I create to have a lesser effect, considering my alchemy abilities aren't terribly impressive.

Ironically enough, I just sold some canis root back in Windhelm that I had brought with me from the fort. I had half of the ingredients I needed to bring an end to Neloth and I didn't even know it.

BIGwooly

Middas ~ Whiterun

I'm virtually giddy with excitement. With a bit of luck I've created my first paralyzing poison. All that I need to do now is coat a blade in it and put that blade in Neloth's back. Of course, the poison is not as strong as the enchantment on the staff was. I should make a few more of these.

Still, Neloth will never suspect a poison, and I'll be able to sneak it up to his chamber as well. I've already replaced my previous owner's iron dagger with a nicer dwarven one. I took it from one of the mages at the fort. It should serve nicely to deliver the poison.

Once Neloth is immobilized, I will strip his enchanted items from his body, along with whatever weapons or scrolls or potions he might have. Perhaps best of all ... he will be awake as I do it. He will be helpless to watch as I take his power for my own.

BIGwooly

Fredas ~ Windhelm

I've created another poison, and purchased one as well. I also have an additional fungal pod, and if I can just procure another canis root I'll have a fourth poison at my disposal.

Still, before I carry out this deed I will need to speak with Neloth on civil terms. I need him to remove the spell he placed on this body. If I were to kill him first, I might be stuck with this hinderance for eternity. It's bad enough I can't select a better vessel to live in ... and I refuse to live in a damaged one.

I set sail for Solstheim in the morning.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

It's Sundas ... again. Death is now an annoyance, like the sisters. Although they did a decent enough job on Tavlas just a bit ago.

Yesterday, which is still today as far as the rest of the world knows, I returned to Neloth and he removed the spell from me. I explained that I had lost some health when it started to rain, and he seemed more irritated that his spell malfunctioned and less concerned about my condition. I would expect nothing less from him.

Still, he removed the spell, and his lack of interest in my story about not finding the staff was a blessing. I needed Neloth to be wrapped up in himself and his work, and not giving me a second thought. Neloth wandered off and set to work on his faulty spell.

I was ready to set my plan in motion.

Talvas was in the tower with us, and I decided to speak with him first. I knew he wasn't fond of Neloth, but I wasn't sure how he would react once I used the blade on his master. Talvas actually indicated the opposite, and expressed his desire to follow me and help me with whatever I needed. I took this as a sign that he would join forces with me once I unleashed the attack on Neloth.

I was wrong.

Neloth wasn't paying me any mind as I got close to him. I slipped the blade from my robes the moment I was behind him, and struck him clean. The poison took effect instantly, and Neloth's body went rigid and he collapsed.

I took a step forward to begin disrobing him, and heard something conjured next to me. It couldn't have been Neloth, as he was stiff and on the floor. It had to have been Talvas. A moment later, before I could even take a second step, I felt the intense heat of magical fire and my world went dark.

I now surmise that Talvas had conjured a flame atronach. This is problematic, as I won't be able to deal with Neloth and him at the same time. I only have three poisons to work with, and I need to remove everything from Neloth and also conjure up dremora lords. Talvas is a problem.

Well .. Talvas was a problem.

Today I started anew, and went straight to Talvas and spoke with him again, after speaking with Neloth again of course .. and having the exact same conversation. It's humorous to me that Neloth has no clue that I had attacked him on another day in another plane of time. The fool.

His fate will mirror that of Talvas, who I led out into the ashlands and subsequently let the sisters take care of. His body grows cold even as I see the tower in the distance.

Neloth awaits.

BIGwooly

Sundas ~ Wilderness

I've lost track of the days ... the number of times I've played out this day ... this never-ending infernal Sundas!

Neloth was ready for me when I returned to the tower. He knew. I don't know how, but he knew. He knew Talvas was dead, and he knew I was coming for him.

The first time I ascended the portal inside the mushroom tower he killed me with a single lightning bolt the second my feet touched the ground. This happened the second .. third .. and fourth times. On the fifth day I managed to run to a room and cast an invisibility spell and hide. I sat there, like a frightened bunny hiding from a wolf. It was humiliating.

And eventually he saw me as my spell wore off and I felt the sting of his lightning once again.

The sixth day began.

From there I lost count. So many days have passed, and nothing I do seems to work. If I'm not killed outright at the top of the portal, I'm killed moments later attempting to find cover .. or moments thereafter while hiding. At one point I managed to summon a pair of dremora lords, but they were extinguished moments after creating them. I tried again, and the same result applied. And then I died yet again, this time by a ball of angry flames.

I'm actually weary of the journey .. from the living to the dead and back to the living. It's hard to describe but it's taking a toll on me. I don't doubt the magic I've created, but I cannot remain in this cycle of life and death eternally.

So I'm waiting in the distance today, instead of a approaching the tower and repeating history. I need a new plan ... yet again. These are the struggles of those who endure.

BIGwooly

Morndas ~ Raven Rock

The last conversation I had with Neloth he was mentioning that someone was trying to kill him. He asked me to help him find out who it was and gave me a ring to help locate them. I never gave it a second thought, because I was going to kill him myself, and because any number of people on Solstheim probably want him dead and Neloth is paranoid by nature.

But now I'm wondering ... wondering if this ring he gave me could actually lead me to someone that has been trying to kill him. Someone other than myself. It's possible if I found that person, perhaps we could work together to bring and end to Neloth. I shiver at the thought of raising up his body to fight on my behalf. I would be unstoppable.

So far the ring has been a disappointment. I've wandered throughout Raven Rock, the most likely source of someone wanting the old Telvanni wizard dead, but I've seen nothing to indicate the source of Neloth's paranoia.

I suppose it's possible that the threat is somewhere else. Unfortunately I don't know Solstheim well at all. I'm not really interested in wandering around aimlessly, following a ring that may or may not even work.

Still ... what other options do I have at this point?

makoman8

I think Saurano might have finally met his match in Neloth. I hear he has his own methods for avoiding death, regardless of the strength of his enemy. His cockiness is well-earned.

BIGwooly

Morndas ~ Dwemer Ruins

A full day spent wandering in the ashlands ... and a full day wasted. I did find an abandoned cabin, and an old tower I couldn't seem to find a way up to, and another dwemer ruin. But I found no one that the ring is supposed to help me find.

I must not give in to frustration. The ring will be Neloth's end. It must be. It's only fitting that he would be his own undoing.

Tomorrow I'll start the search anew.

I've left one of the sisters in the wilds today. We came across a camp of reavers and one of them was quite strong .. a reaver lord. He wore heavy steel armor and carried an enchanted sword. The second sister was always weak, and quite often only served to distract enemies away from her other sister.

But this reaver lord was strong .. and capable. So I chose to raise him up and leave her behind. I only missed her for a moment.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts