Quest I'm debating if I should finish the main story line

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which story line should I finish first?

• Total voters

Hart

Sassmaster
Or if I should wait longer before I do. I mean, I still have the Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLC to start even, plus there's the Civil War and all that jazz going on.

If I do the main story line, will I miss out on the war meeting? Or is that still thrown in there somewhere?

Mostly, I've been wandering around leveling up and clearing towers and barrows, generally building my wealth and my household. Since Alduin is leveled, I think it would be good to face him at leve

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
You should finish the story first as it's pretty easy and rewards you with some pretty good stuff. At one point you can get a dragon priest mask and it's super easy (Nahkriin).

Balomew

There are some references and comments made by particular NPCs in DLCs if you complete the main quest first. No spoilers, I promise. I recommend finishing the main quest first. As for the war meeting - SPOILERS - at a point in the main storyline, there will be a war negotiation meeting at High Hrothgar, so that you can go about your dragon-hunting business in peace. It's a very tense part of the storyline, in my opinion.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
Finish the storyline first as you will get a better grasp on things going on in Skyrim. Also people will respect you more and you get an extra quest if you don't do the Civil War storyline first.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
In my current playthrough I'm doing things differently than I've done before. Typically, I complete the war, then the DLC's, then the main quest. This time I'll do them in the reverse order. In addition, I aim to completely build my character, (and his companion), before tackling any of these. That means I'll be level 50 at least before initiating Diplomatic Immunity. :beermug:

lucifer101

I would complete the main story at least before you start doing the Dragonborn main quest. The Dragonborn DLC is more of a challenge than completing the main questline I'd say.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Civil War. Get it over with so you don't have to do that stupid "negotiation" thing at High Rothgar. Then, at least the politics are stable and you can get on with the real issues of Skyrim.

I found that negotiation quite fun. It made me feel like a real ambassador!
You're the Dragonborn for goodness sake, not an Ambassador. It's your job to crush skulls, protect the innocent and defeat monsters, not negotiate with a bunch of entitled twerps that can't get along.

Sorry - I know, a little harsh, but, to me, it was one of the stupidest things I have ever played in any game and I avoid it on every playthrough.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
Civil War. Get it over with so you don't have to do that stupid "negotiation" thing at High Rothgar. Then, at least the politics are stable and you can get on with the real issues of Skyrim.

You're the Dragonborn for goodness sake, not an Ambassador. It's your job to crush skulls, protect the innocent and defeat monsters, not negotiate with a bunch of entitled twerps that can't get along.

Sorry - I know, a little harsh, but, to me, it was one of the stupidest things I have ever played in any game and I avoid it on every playthrough.

But it's not compulsory to play as Dragonborn. You could RP as a thief, assassin etc almost anything.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Main Quest. As for the negotiations, saving the world doesn't always entail violence, Daelon. Boring, I know. But when a war is taking place, with violence already taking place and not solving anything, with a bigger threat like Alduin going on it's better to exchange words of temporary peace.

Patience, young grasshopper. For after the Main Quest you can bash some skulls in for Tullius or Ulfric. As per your choice.

Daelon DuLac

But it's not compulsory to play as Dragonborn. You could RP as a thief, assassin etc almost anything.
True. But the unavoidable fact is that you ARE Dragonborn, regardless of how you RP. Eventually you will run in to that fact.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch

True. But the unavoidable fact is that you ARE Dragonborn, regardless of how you RP. Eventually you will run in to that fact.

That's a fact I ran in to 3 years ago :D. But I can pretend NOT TO be the Dovahkin :).

Daelon DuLac

Main Quest. As for the negotiations, saving the world doesn't always entail violence, Daelon. Boring, I know. But when a war is taking place, with violence already taking place and not solving anything, with a bigger threat like Alduin going on it's better to exchange words of temporary peace.

Patience, young grasshopper. For after the Main Quest you can bash some skulls in for Tullius or Ulfric. As per your choice.
While I agree with your supposition, the operative word in your idea is "temporary". Regardless of what you do in the way of negotiation, can you really see Ulfrich actually sticking to it? Unless he's dead, there is no way. He wants Skyrim. He wants the throne and no matter what you do, he is going to resume aggressions as soon as somebody turns their back.

I say, skip it and just finish the most boring questline in the entire game and get it over with. There are so many better things to do than waste your time with that bunch of yahoos.

Daelon DuLac

That's a fact I ran in to 3 years ago :D. But I can pretend NOT TO be the Dovahkin :).
Ah! I see. Denial is a valid RP method, I suppose. Me, I just accept it and move on. Besides, I get some kick-a** perks from it, so why should I waste them.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
While I agree with your supposition, the operative word in your idea is "temporary". Regardless of what you do in the way of negotiation, can you really see Ulfrich actually sticking to it? Unless he's dead, there is no way. He wants Skyrim. He wants the throne and no matter what you do, he is going to resume aggressions as soon as somebody turns their back.

I say, skip it and just finish the most boring questline in the entire game and get it over with. There are so many better things to do than waste your time with that bunch of yahoos.

I would much rather deal with an angry dragon that is hell bent on destroying the world first than deal with a civil war that can be put on Hiatus easily by a pissed off Dragonborn. Seriously, when I do that quest it's like I'm a mother or mediator trying to deal with spoiled brats.

In the Season Unending quest when you fetch Tullius and Ulfric, if you have enough persuasion skill (or not, can't remember) Ulfric begrudgingly agrees that Alduin is a huge threat and must be dealt with. "The World Eater himself..."

Furthermore, after negotiations are concluded it's mentioned that he will hold the terms like "a true Nord". I know we both hate Ulfric (well, I don't hate him. I more or less pity him for what he's gone through) but he does hold true to his terms until after you deal with Alduin. Which IS the reason for negotiations. After all, Without Dragonsreach, no dragon captured = no way to Skuldafyn. I doubt Balgruuf would very much love the idea of a dragon attacking and potentially destroying his keep while Ulfric is knocking 'politely' at his front door. :p

-----------------

Ahem, anyway. Bottom line, I'd say do the Main Quest first, then the Civil War.

Though to make it interesting if you have mods, for a next playthrough you should deal with the vampire crisis as some sort of backstory and have Alternate Start mod or whatever it's called. Makes it more interesting.

So Main Quest, Civil War, Dragonborn, Vampire crisis. Though some do the Dragonborn Questline last.

Honest, it's up to YOU and your character you are playing as. What would your character tackle first? An evil dragon wanting to destroy Nirn? Brothers fighting brothers? A sadistic Vampire Lord that has an obsession with the sun going out? Or an ancient priest climbing his way out of oblivion and enslaving an island? (and potentially all of Tamriel)

The choice is up to you! :)

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch

Ah! I see. Denial is a valid RP method, I suppose. Me, I just accept it and move on. Besides, I get some kick-a** perks from it, so why should I waste them.

I didn't exactly mean denial. Like you said, I'd also accept it and just move on to do whatever I want, screw dragons! As for those perks, I do admit they are kick-a** but for e.g : if I am RPing as a necromancer, I really don't think necromancy and shouts match together!

Anyways, it's up to the player :).

It seems we might have gotten a bit off-topic :p.

Daelon DuLac

I didn't exactly mean denial. Like you said, I'd also accept it and just move on to do whatever I want, screw dragons! As for those perks, I do admit they are kick-a** but for e.g : if I am RPing as a necromancer, I really don't think necromancy and shouts match together!

Anyways, it's up to the player :).

It seems we might have gotten a bit off-topic :p.
But it's been a fun sidetrip. :)

Now back to the topic at hand... wait? What was the topic at hand again?

Hart

Sassmaster

Daelon DuLac

But it's been a fun sidetrip. :)

Now back to the topic at hand... wait? What was the topic at hand again?
The choice is up to you! :)

That was interesting to read.
I've gone ahead and advanced with the story line. I'm now searching for access into Skyhaven Temple.
Well enjoy! I find that Foreswarn make excellent sign-posts, especially when they're shooting ice spikes and spears at you!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts