I'm an ESO beta tester; ask me anything

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SaveVsBedWet

[quote="SaveVsBedWet, post:
1. I did manage to dual wield axe and sword. It was a bit random so I had to make the decision before entering combat.

I read your whole thing and must say, glad it wasn't just me who came away with my same impressions. On this one here though. You were able to dual wield without a "spell" being bought that makes you do a combo move? Were you a Redguard and got to do that because of a race bonus or was it something else? Perhaps mine was a spell because Dr. D'Irsei is a Breton?

Also, are you saying you were actually able to swing right and left hands independently at will like the single player game? How when there aren't independent keyboard or mouse mappings for each hand?

Did you figure out a way to directly change the weapon in a particular hand, or to put the weapon you want in a particular hand mid-fight? A goblin gave me a beating while I tried to cycle my old poor quality axe for a better axe of the same material but couldn't do it until finally grabbing a two handed maul which cleared both hand slots and then re-arming the two axes I wanted in order, right hand and then left hand. That's really going to be tough with 70+ people on the screen and any number of them noticing that your character is either standing stock still in the middle of battle or constantly having weapons appear and disappear.

I was a Nord, but binding a weapon in each hand was a bit of a lottery for me. Thinking about it, I selected dual wield in the skill line when I was exploring the menus and got the twin slashes spell which is instantaneous. But it was still a pain getting a single handed weapon in each hand.

Changing mid-fight always went badly for me. So I stopped trying.

Yup you went the same way I did. I got dual slashes, and then leveled up again and it which gave me a 4 attack combo. Funny too is that the upgrade got added as a new spell and took up its own slot. So then I had the option of doing the dual slash or the Pearl Harbor Job attack (which I must admit is really funny even if it doesn't appear to be hurting people). It dropped nearly everyone within two applications.

I ended up either using the bow or maul OR using the weapons I walked into a fight with in each hand. Either dual axes or an axe and a mace. Never changing until alone. That sucks. Especially if bound weapons have charging systems like the single player game, and even as it stands now with weapon degradation. Nothing worse than being jumped with weapons sheathed and finding out mid-fight that you should have dropped everything and ran to a weapon smith or Mages Guild or secured and filled soul gems before...heading to the outhouse.

Yeah...:confused:

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
Are you tempted to play as an Imperial this coming weekend ?

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Not especially. I'm certain that's pre-order exclusive, and I've not preordered (nor do I intend to, unfortunately). It would also require making a new character; I have no intentions of doing that with this being the last test weekend.

I'm not 100% sure I'll be streaming any gameplay, but I think I'll go ahead and record most of the gameplay this weekend; I've a big 4TB rated external hard drive that handles recording just fine.

EDIT: Speaking of which, here are two videos from the last weekend.

Here are all the screenshots I took of the last beta:
http://imgur.com/a/mqzdW#0

Here are screenshots I took that were under NDA that I'm assuming I am okay to share:
http://imgur.com/a/yofvJ#0

ZeroDragon

Impressive. That puppy is a hard little bugger. "May you become cheese, eternally knawed by skeevers" Got to love Sheogorath.

The Imperial is one of the pre-orders which I haven't either. Mainly because I'm still not sure whether to buy, and if I do whether it will be PC or PS4. I still feel I messed up with the character I made so I'll make a new one, I'll just get frustrated if I continue with the current one. I'll see when I log in whether I try the Imperial or more likely try something else.

SaveVsBedWet

Are you tempted to play as an Imperial this coming weekend ?

I saw that we could play as an Imperial but I'm going to continue on with Dr. D'Irsei, my Breton. Her practice is going so strong between SP and now ESO that there's no way I can close it. Who would do the Tamriel dental work at her prices plus come TO the patient?

Nobody. That's who.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Leaving the option to play as an Imperial for the last beta was a really stupid move on Zenimax's part, honestly. Most players don't have the time to play a game so much for 2-3 days that they can get a truly good feel for the character they've made, IMO, and it would probably be more of a waste of time than anything.

And as for my thoughts on buying ESO... I am thinking about it. I've enjoyed playing, and I don't miss it terribly, so I could probably play every other month. But it seems there's a pretty good chance of my dad losing his job in the next month or so. I dunno, 15 bucks buys a lot of groceries and I'm still not understanding the a-holes who try to say that 15 USD isn't a lot of money. It won't buy you a new TV, but when you put that money towards essentials, it is quite a lot. Blarg.

ZeroDragon

Leaving the option to play as an Imperial for the last beta was a really stupid move on Zenimax's part, honestly. Most players don't have the time to play a game so much for 2-3 days that they can get a truly good feel for the character they've made, IMO, and it would probably be more of a waste of time than anything.

And as for my thoughts on buying ESO... I am thinking about it. I've enjoyed playing, and I don't miss it terribly, so I could probably play every other month. But it seems there's a pretty good chance of my dad losing his job in the next month or so. I dunno, 15 bucks buys a lot of groceries and I'm still not understanding the a-holes who try to say that 15 USD isn't a lot of money. It won't buy you a new TV, but when you put that money towards essentials, it is quite a lot. Blarg.

I have to agree on both points, leaving the Imperial option to the last beta can be taken two ways - positively that the games is complete and ready for launch, or from my slightly cynical side - negatively that the pre-orders aren't exactly flying in and they want to tempt people. The latter being stupid, imo, because many people are happy with their character and are likely to want to carry them forward to the full game if all the equipment/skills they have also carries on.

I've also enjoyed playing the beta's, but it's not been like some offline games where I've played a bit more than is popular at home - several times a week, almost addictive. $15 or, for us Brits, £9 per month - at this moment in time I'm lucky enough to have a decent job so can afford it, and likely should for another couple of years before the Government's austerity measures see my job disappear. But I still see it as a significant commitment, because that $15/£9 is $180/£108 per year. That's 2 and a bit PS4 games, or a couple of software upgrades for the PC or, and what is likely viewed as more important, it's a chunk towards my soon to be 13 yr old daughter's school trips/birthday/christmas/holiday(vacation) or the cost of paint to redecorate a room.

Still, I'll be back playing tonight :)

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Tried doing some PVP in Cyrodiil on Friday after other stuff. Tutorial quest(s) was bugged so I went to bed. Still bugged today, and realizing that after trying to go around the area also let me know that navigating and traversing Cyrodiil land is absolutely god awful.

Now all I have to do on my character is explore because all the quests I have are bugged, save for one which is recommended for level 15+ and I'm only 13 so far. But it'll probably be bugged as well.

Don't even get me started on the lag and non-quest related bugs. Gods, this game is not ready for launch.

ZeroDragon

I did half of what I intended - I did make a new character this weekend, but it's an Imperial.

I also went to Daggerfall - it rains more there than Manchester and Blackpool put together.

I tried to wander, explore, collect, talk to NPCs, take part in the odd little quest to steadily level up. Then I discovered that going one way I ran into Bloodthorn Assassins, and Harpies another way - easy but the quest must be glitched because I got bored waiting for Foulwhateverhername is to appear, Crocodiles aren't all that friendly, but no problem and then there's the werewolves.

I joined the Mage's guild for a change and oh that went well for 10 minutes. I wasn't really prepared at level 4 just with the initial weapon, though I was wearing my swineherd's pants for finding a pig, for 3 scamps and a dremora. So I left that and went off in search of more of anything. There are a couple of quests needing progressing but they can stay as they are, I won't be leveling up enough to go back to them today.

I didn't hit many glitches, the chief bitch harpy not appearing and trying to sell to or buy from a couple of merchants which produced error codes.

All in all, this weekend has been better than the others for me. I should have created a new character 2 beta's ago. That said, I found it limiting in that I wanted to go and explore, but every direction I went in I hit something that could well and truly kick my ass at some point, usually bloodthorn cult in twos and threes. I tried to avoid anything other than simple quests in order to explore, I like to take my time and not be rushed, but that's not been possible. That has been the most disappointing part of it, I don't expect to speed level - though my cooking skills are getting pretty good, but I would like the opportunity to role play a character and not just be forced into quest after quest because there is no viable alternative. Hopefully, when it is released the glitches will be sorted and the pressure to quest will not be so heavy. Though I doubt I'll be buying it, certainly not near the release date - and that is even more disappointing.

At the moment it feels like a compressed version of the offline games.

I'm babbling so I'm off to get a coffee to wake me up even though it is 4pm.

ZeroDragon

It would seem that my beta testing is over ... was over 4 hours ago.

Logging in again I was advised that the European Megaserver was up and, given my location, would I like to change ? Go on then, I'll give it a spin. The only problem was the error message 102 DownloadError-InvalidMetafile. Oh well, swap back to the US server .... no, same again. A few emails with the support team leaves me waiting for a technical response. I have now got a response with the US server, but it involves a 21,000mb download. It's 20:20 in the UK so I'll not be adding any more :sadface:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts