• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Barakuza

Ive been wanting to make an argonian monk for a long time, my only problem is whatever i build doesn't seem monkish enough for me, right now i have full fur armor, except for the helmet which is a brown cloth mages hood. (the plus 30 magicka one you find in the intro) now keep in mind i refuse to play the game on anything other than master difficulty (anything else is for pussys) but i have to use a iron sword and hide shield to even stay relevant on master. and in my opinion, iron sword and hide shield isnt very monkish. also id prefer to stay away from blacksmithing, makes you to op, and id like to stay away from enchanting, although it may be required. :sadface: so if you have any sugestions, id be more than happy to hear them.

Metallipath

Premium Member
Firstly I'll point out that as a massive single player game whatever difficulty you choose is a matter of preference, not how masculine you are.

Second, are we talking a monk as in a priest here? Monks are more often represented in The Elder Scrolls as a hand to hand fighting class, and with the removal of hand to hand fighting style a Khajiit is the most viable option. They hit for 15 points of damage with their claws.

If you are speaking more in the way of a priest I think to truly roleplay you should acquire some robes of a certain god, Arkay, for example. Weild a mace in one hand and restoration magic in the other. You'll definitely need the *flesh spells from the Alteration tree for armour. The mage armour perk would probably help as well, although I forget what it does. Something to do with buffing no armour/cloth classes. Sorry if that doesn't do it for you, but this is how I personally envision that style of play. Good luck.

Barakuza

Firstly I'll point out that as a massive single player game whatever difficulty you choose is a matter of preference, not how masculine you are.

Second, are we talking a monk as in a priest here? Monks are more often represented in The Elder Scrolls as a hand to hand fighting class, and with the removal of hand to hand fighting style a Khajiit is the most viable option. They hit for 15 points of damage with their claws.

If you are speaking more in the way of a priest I think to truly roleplay you should acquire some robes of a certain god, Arkay, for example. Weild a mace in one hand and restoration magic in the other. You'll definitely need the *flesh spells from the Alteration tree for armour. The mage armour perk would probably help as well, although I forget what it does. Something to do with buffing no armour/cloth classes. Sorry if that doesn't do it for you, but this is how I personally envision that style of play. Good luck.

lol, i wasnt trying to be a dick with the master difficultly remark, but i would very much like to go hand to hand, but on master that isnt very viable.(no block, low damage, no weapon to enchant) the way my guy looks is whats most important to me however, and im already dabbling in the alteration armor perks, ive yet to find arkay in my 200+ hours of skyrim-ing, however i will begin my search.

Metallipath

Premium Member
Don't worry, I know you're just joking, some people don't however. ;)

How could you not know the Eight (read Nine) Divines!? Hehe.

Arkay is the God of Life and Death, so every Hall of the Dead will have a priest of Arkay. I'm not sure how you could acquire the robes without killing them though. They are orange robes with a yellow hood if I remember correctly. If you do not want to use robes due to the immense challenge due to the removal of hand to hand and unarmoured, you should stick to leather and fur armour I think. They look pretty cool to me, and have more of a natural feel than metals and higher end light armours. If you're playing a monk it seems like you should be choosing more natural routes through the game, if that makes sense.

Barakuza

ahhhh thank you on the arkay information, ill get more time into my "monk" tonight, and i definitely agree with the more natural armors feel more fitting for a monk, i was thinking that once im able to kill one of the bandit chiefs it would be cool to take his plate chest as well, but idk if that would be betraying the whole monk concept.

Wanderer

Wouldn't a staff of (insert you god power here) and healing spells be more of a "Monk" kind of look with robes and hood?

Barakuza

im wondering if i could perhaps disenchant those gloves and put the effect on other armors for an unarmed boost, plus heavy armor gloves for the 25%+ unarmed damage, might actually be playable, ill have to tinker around with it.

Jaeger

Check the comments:

Per one person suggestions, I doubt the block perks work with unarmed though.

Migaluch

Does anyone know if the Khajiit unarmed bonus stacks with that heavy armor perk and the pugilist enchantment?

Elvus

I know we all have our own idea's of what a "monk" does,but the first thing that came to my mind was a guy in a robe chopping up people with a greatsword while wearing monk robes. Back in olden tymes monks would have to fight off viking invaders so the fact that a monk could be a kick ass playstyle isn't hard to imagine at least historically. But then again we all shoot fireballs and lightning out of our hands so historical accuracy doesn't matter much. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you.

Metallipath

Premium Member
Monk.jpg

Anybody remember this? =P

Elvus

I always thought it was nice that Moe from The Three Stooges made a cameo in one of my favorite games,way to go Moe!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts