1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Ice wolf pelt and unfilled greater soul gems at level 1?

Discussion in 'Skyrim Help' started by firstwizard79, Jul 13, 2018.

1. firstwizard79

firstwizard79 New Member

I am attempting to complete a challenge to obtain a list of items at level 1 while gaining as little XP as possible. The only stumbling block I've encountered involves items created by the Atronach Forge in Winterhold. For instance, the recipe to create a Conjure Frost Atronach spell tome requires an ice wolf pelt. However, I can't find any ice wolves in the wild at level 1. I've researched places said to have guaranteed ice wolves and, upon visiting them, they are all regular wolves at level 1. I've also tracked down all the hunters as well as other merchants which may sell pelts and none of them have had an ice wolf pelt available. Is there any chest or other known location which is guaranteed to have an ice wolf I can kill or an ice wolf pelt I can buy or steal at level 1? Is it that there is just a very low percentage chance for ice wolves/pelts to appear at level 1 or is it that they just don't appear at this level at all?

Also, at level 1, I can't find any unfilled greater soul gems. All merchants I've found through research that sell soul gems only sell filled higher level soul gems (only the minor gems can be purchased unfilled). Part of my challenge is also to use as little money as possible. I can find unfilled black soul gems and they are cheaper than filled greater soul gems so I've gone with those for the time being. Is there anywhere that I can buy or steal unfilled greater soul gems with a level 1 character?

#1 firstwizard79, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Jany26

Jany26 New Member

Gallows Rock. One can be found inside the room with stairs and three Tanning Racks. (from wikia) However as it says 'can be found', I suggest saving before entering the dungeon. However, the place is swarming with Silver-hands, so good luck sneaking past them or fighting your way through...

If that doesn't work for you, try Belethor in Whiterun or similar (general goods) merchants. Look into their stock, if they don't have those pelts, save, attack the merchant, load, the inventory should reset. That should work.

For the greater soul gems, I guess your best bet is The College of Winterhold. Mainly the living quarters (Hall of Countenance, Hall of Attainment and maybe Arch-Mage's Quarters) I can't really think of a simple way without buying them. For this, I would also save before entering. (if it's the first time you enter those quarters)

3. firstwizard79

firstwizard79 New Member

Gallows Rock didn't work out for me. However, I did find a video on Youtube showing a location near Windhelm that appeared to have a scripted encounter involving an Ice Troll guarding the body of a dead ice wolf in his den. Sure enough, it was an ice wolf at level one. The Ice Troll was way above my pay grade but I was able to run in, loot the pelt and flee. Now, if I can just find unfilled greater soul gems at level one...

#3 firstwizard79, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018