• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I forgot about the Arena, kinda lame that not even big bad Skyrim has one, since it's suppose to be a really cruel/tough place.

I feel exactly the same way. Really bummed that they didn't put one of these in Skyrim when it's exactly the place that should have one.

Komvod

Anyone Need a Medic?
Yes, I just got Oblivion because I want to learn and experience the lore and a part of it is to see why people loved it so much.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Trust me, I felt the same way. I got Oblivion during the steam summer sales and haven't actually tried playing it until yesterday.

The game is amazing once you get into it. Sure, it's not as user-friendly as Skyrim (you're going to miss pressing R to loot everything from a container) but overall it's a good game and is definitely worth a shot.

P.S., try getting Qarl's texture III mod. It's insane and makes all the textures look great.

Exelex

This is making me reconsider getting Oblivion. I'm glad I saw this, because I planned on getting the game next week, but never mind now; I'll stick with Skyrim.

I still am most likely going to get it.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
This is making me reconsider getting Oblivion. I'm glad I saw this, because I planned on getting the game next week, but never mind now; I'll stick with Skyrim.

I still am most likely going to get it.

Oblivion is good, but Skyrim is a thousand times better.

Exelex

I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm going to save my money for something better.... like Assassin's Creed 3.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm going to save my money for something better.... like Assassin's Creed 3.

*brofist*

Phenomenal TJ

The One And Only
Admittedly, it took me quite a long time to get into Oblivion. The first time I played it, I didn't even stick with it long enough to get out of the jail/dungeon. Something put me off, then a few months later I was bored and not wanting to spend any money on any games that were out decided to suck it up and give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. If I wouldn't have gotten into Oblivion, I'd of never dropped $60 on Skyrim.

Texas fight

Skyrim was my first game but i recently got the Oblivion GoTY edition too. I'm glad I bought it, the graphics made me realize I'm horribly spoiled now and can't touch my PS2 ever again. Shivering Isles made Oblivion for me. Crazy as hell, and makes me wonder why we only had Cicero in Skyrim.

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
There is always a problem when you play the most recent game in a series.
Skyrim is by facts better than Oblivion and that makes it for many hard to play older games.
My first game in the TES series was Oblivion and after a while I started to play Morrowind. I didn't like it as much but people around me told me to keep playing it. After a while I started to like it as well. But it did take some time.
I had the exact same experience with the Fallout series. I started out with New Vegas and after I finished it I started to play Fallout 3. I thought that Fallout 3 sucked to be frankly but also there after a while I started to enjoy it.
Just saying that it is sometimes HARD to go from a game that is AMAZING to a game that is Good :p

Exelex

There is always a problem when you play the most recent game in a series.
Skyrim is by facts better than Oblivion and that makes it for many hard to play older games.
My first game in the TES series was Oblivion and after a while I started to play Morrowind. I didn't like it as much but people around me told me to keep playing it. After a while I started to like it as well. But it did take some time.
I had the exact same experience with the Fallout series. I started out with New Vegas and after I finished it I started to play Fallout 3. I thought that Fallout 3 sucked to be frankly but also there after a while I started to enjoy it.
Just saying that it is sometimes HARD to go from a game that is AMAZING to a game that is Good :p
Wow! I was just talking to one of my Skyrim associates about this. I was telling him that people, like him, who played Skyrim and then played Oblivion think of the game as chumy and probably think to themselves "When was this game made? 2002?" I was able to tell him that because I was/am the same. I have only watched Oblivion gameplay videos on YouTube, and my reaction was similar to most people who have played Skyrim first. I still am debating buying the game though.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
I don't mean to sound crude, but I think Skyrim definitely spoiled Oblivion for you.
I am huge fan of Skyrim, but it was also my first TES game. So I picked up Oblivion GOTY edition. and I must say I am disappointed. Not because of the graphics, but more because of the game play and overall feel of the game. it just plops you right into the thick of things and you don't really get any instructions on how to work the game.

maybe skyrim has spoiled me, but i just didn't like oblivion. does anyone else feel this way?

I don't mean to sound crude, but Skyrim has definitely spoiled Oblivion for you.
Oblivion was THE game when it came out, something unlike anything else. Skyrim completely topped it in every aspect, but before Skyrim, it truly was a great game.... Sometimes when I get bored of Skyrim I return and still enjoy... it's the memories that bring you back. An oldie but goodie, but only if you played it first.

maybe skyrim has spoiled me, but i just didn't like oblivion. does anyone else feel this way?

Funny you should say that. I just picked up Fallout 3/Oblivion for $20 and a buddy of mine told me if Skyrim hasnt spoiled me I'll enjoy Oblivion. Exact words.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I don't mean to sound crude, but I think Skyrim definitely spoiled Oblivion for you.

I don't mean to sound crude, but Skyrim has definitely spoiled Oblivion for you.
Oblivion was THE game when it came out, something unlike anything else. Skyrim completely topped it in every aspect, but before Skyrim, it truly was a great game.... Sometimes when I get bored of Skyrim I return and still enjoy... it's the memories that bring you back. An oldie but goodie, but only if you played it first.

Even though I really do appreciate the reviews of Newer Skyrim Fans that haven't played the other games, I completely agree with your commment.

People forget what it was like to play any game with out Item Physics or Completely spoken NPC Dialogues, etc.

I could go back and play Oblivion again, but I am partial. For those that can't understand how great the game was, I'd ask them to play "ANY" other PC game that came out that year and compair.

Yeah. Haven't played oblivion in 8 months n I'm getting pissed at bugthesda so I started a new charecter lol. Griding out my sneak skill atm. Boring but put a band on the controler (ps3) and get on the forums hahaha! I know I'm cheatin. Lol. It works tho. Actually. I don't think it throws you into the game any worse than skyrim did. The dungeon scene was bout the same. And just like skyrim you can just hide behind your buddies if you don't want to fight yet. I've been missing cyradil so I think I'll enjoy playing again even if the grafics are crappy.

EleanorUnicorn

I started playing Oblivion in 2008 and, from day one, became incredibly addicted. Every day for three years I would explore Cyrodiil with my face like :eek: because I was amazed by the beauty, scenery, the feel of the game, just totally mesmerised. I adored that game, so so so much. I don't think I even finished it tbh, I completed the main quests but left out lots of the side ones. For me, Oblivion just had a completely magical feel to it, a game where anything was possible, where it seemed never ending with so much to do. And the actual landscape of Cyrodiil.. I don't know if the game designers struck lucky, or were just geniuses, but Cyrodiil was easily the best region yet. I loved the towns, cities, scenery and settlements and could ride around on my white Anvil horse forever :p There were so many secrets, so many random things, easter eggs and surprises. I think that roleplaying also had an impact on the way I played, because I could use my imagination and give my character and backstory and goal. Skyrim is an amazing game too, and the scenery and graphics are stunning.. but I don't know. There's something missing, and I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the structure of the map, or how small the 'cities' are. I just wish I could cross over the border from Skyrim to Cyrodiil! Have to wait until the Elder Scrolls Online for that though (and hopefully it will be worth it) :)

EleanorUnicorn

Also, the place I come from (Scottish countryside, scotts view - Google Search ) looks a lot like Cyrodiil, check the link if you don't believe me :) I don't know if that's why I love it so much, because it reminds me of home.. Also, I made a thread ages ago about the differences that jumped out at me between Oblivion and Skyrim, check it out Which is better, Oblivion or Skyrim? | Skyrim Forums :) There's also a poll where people can vote for their favourite (and it looks like Skyrim is a clear winner right now)

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I started playing Oblivion in 2008 and, from day one, became incredibly addicted. Every day for three years I would explore Cyrodiil with my face like :eek: because I was amazed by the beauty, scenery, the feel of the game, just totally mesmerised. I adored that game, so so so much. I don't think I even finished it tbh, I completed the main quests but left out lots of the side ones. For me, Oblivion just had a completely magical feel to it, a game where anything was possible, where it seemed never ending with so much to do. And the actual landscape of Cyrodiil.. I don't know if the game designers struck lucky, or were just geniuses, but Cyrodiil was easily the best region yet. I loved the towns, cities, scenery and settlements and could ride around on my white Anvil horse forever :p There were so many secrets, so many random things, easter eggs and surprises. I think that roleplaying also had an impact on the way I played, because I could use my imagination and give my character and backstory and goal. Skyrim is an amazing game too, and the scenery and graphics are stunning.. but I don't know. There's something missing, and I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the structure of the map, or how small the 'cities' are. I just wish I could cross over the border from Skyrim to Cyrodiil! Have to wait until the Elder Scrolls Online for that though (and hopefully it will be worth it) :)

I remember being Mesmerised too. I got the game right when it came out (I was a Big Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind fan...don't ask how old I am) I remember It came out in spring 2007, and so much of the center looked like a beautiful spring day. There were times I just stopped and looked at the trees it was so amazing. I remember I started opening my window next to my computer desk at night while I played so I could feel the cool spring breeze as I watched the leaves wave on the trees in Cyrodill ...(so nerdy i know)

And, off topic... I've always wanted to say this "I LOVE Scottland". I've never been to Scott's View (Probably closest is Edinburgh) but there are So Many beautiful places to see there and the People are marvelous.

xReese

I agree. I bought oblivion awhile ago. I played it for a hour and I didn't understand it at all,sp' I took it back to game stop and got my money back :sadface:

Belle

Fool of Hearts - Laughter Incarnate
Actually, I played Oblivion for the first time in years yesterday, and I enjoyed it. When I played it the first time, all I did was the main quest. I didn't really know there was anything else. But I'm doing the Dark Brotherhood, and it's actually on par with Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood at the moment! Haven't done much else, but I'm playing it with an open mind, and that's what counts ^_^

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts