• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

T1d3

Article Writer
I am huge fan of Skyrim, but it was also my first TES game. So I picked up Oblivion GOTY edition. and I must say I am disappointed. Not because of the graphics, but more because of the game play and overall feel of the game. it just plops you right into the thick of things and you don't really get any instructions on how to work the game.

maybe skyrim has spoiled me, but i just didn't like oblivion. does anyone else feel this way?

DryadSpeaks

Killing dragons like it's nobody's business.
I played Oblivion before Skyrim, and when I first started Skyrim I found that the controls were quite similar, so I've actually never thought about this. I don't remember what exactly happens at the beginning on Oblivion, because I haven't started a new game in a while (too attached to my high-level Altmer). Were there not some basic instructions at the start if the game in the dungeon?

T1d3

Article Writer
there were, it just seemed very rushed, maybe it is just me, but I didn't enjoy the game very much

DryadSpeaks

How much did you play? I know sometimes it takes me a number of hours to get into games, and then by the time I'm in to it, I think, "How was I not into this from the beginning?!"

DryadSpeaks

I guess not all games are for everyone. It's unfortunate that you couldn't get into it, because it does have a great storyline and there are some really great quests etc.

Skyrimosity

I am huge fan of Skyrim, but it was also my first TES game. So I picked up Oblivion GOTY edition. and I must say I am disappointed. Not because of the graphics, but more because of the game play and overall feel of the game. it just plops you right into the thick of things and you don't really get any instructions on how to work the game.

maybe skyrim has spoiled me, but i just didn't like oblivion. does anyone else feel this way?
Ummm... same experience... are you... me?

well i still like oblivion its actually harder to lvl up on that game the combat looks plops but at least its fast not like skytim combat which dissapointed me a bit, i like cyrodiil more than skyrim cause they have like mysterious ayleid runes and more trees than in skyrim i mean in skyrim you have a lot of tundra and snow and stuff i would rather see a green forest

T1d3

Article Writer
well i still like oblivion its actually harder to lvl up on that game the combat looks pl*** but at least its fast not like skytim combat which dissapointed me a bit, i like cyrodiil more than skyrim cause they have like mysterious ayleid runes and more trees than in skyrim i mean in skyrim you have a lot of tundra and snow and stuff i would rather see a green forest

I agree with you on the cyrodiil part and the forested area, but I like skyrim better

I agree with you on the cyrodiil part and the forested area, but I like skyrim better
yes skyrim IS better

In my opinion its rather hard for someone that played Skyrim before Oblivion to go play Oblivion and enjoy it. With the game being six years old, Skyrim has rather spoiled us. The graphics and game play is nothing compared to Skyrim.

For many of us, the only reason we go to play Oblivion is because we want to experience the lore that happened in the game.

Mini Mongo

Drog Do Faal Mongonite Lahvu
I played Oblivion and loved it! Completed everyone on it and got all but the thieves guild achievement as I couldn't be arsed with them. In fact I even got every DLC, to be honest I was completely hooked to that game. When Skyrim came out it was like winning a jackpot on the lottery, now I'm stuck to that.

Hunfar

My first TES game was Oblivion and I LOVED it. It was my first RPG sandbox game, not being use to them I assumed I was just stuck on the small area around the Imperial city, but then I started exploring and realized "OMG THIS ENTIRE MAP IS EXPLORABLE!?!?!1!??" It really blew me away. Personally I like the forests in Oblivion, they're huge and I love getting lost in them, but with Skyrim everything feels bunched together (forest areas anyway.)

Playing Oblivion again after many hours of Skyrim made some things very obvious though. The walking, jumping, sheathing and unsheathing swords is terrible. Something about Oblivion still fascinates me more than Skyrim though, I think the weather and sunsets etc are more intriguing to me. Skyrim has a lot of boring/bland colors and walking out into the super lush greenery of Cyrodiil is very refreshing.

My first TES game was Oblivion and I LOVED it. It was my first RPG sandbox game, not being use to them I assumed I was just stuck on the small area around the Imperial city, but then I started exploring and realized "OMG THIS ENTIRE MAP IS EXPLORABLE!?!?!1!??" It really blew me away. Personally I like the forests in Oblivion, they're huge and I love getting lost in them, but with Skyrim everything feels bunched together (forest areas anyway.)

Playing Oblivion again after many hours of Skyrim made some things very obvious though. The walking, jumping, sheathing and unsheathing swords is terrible. Something about Oblivion still fascinates me more than Skyrim though, I think the weather and sunsets etc are more intriguing to me. Skyrim has a lot of boring/bland colors and walking out into the super lush greenery of Cyrodiil is very refreshing.
my friend i just totally agree :)

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
It's an older incarnation of mostly the same game.

What I think is great about TES games is that they have a sort of "formula" to them that doesn't actually have to be changed in order for the game to keep evolving, as it relies almost exclusively on technology to keep itself current.

Oblivion really shows you how far technology can come in the same console cycle, and how much having experience with that technology effects how well your games are made. The gap between Oblivion and Skyrim is HUGE, because you have Fallout and New Vegas and anything else Beth's worked on between the two, that used pretty much the exact same formula as TES.

I still like Oblivion, but I'd never play it to death like I do Skyrim now. If any reason, I'd just play it for the continuation factor, or to see the main quests again and relive the lore, which even ten dozen books in Skyrim wouldn't be able to make you truly feel how epic it feels when you are actually there.

"A thousand travel books aren't worth one real trip." if you know what i mean. If you think Oblivion is inferior heavily to Skyrim, it's a good thing, because that shows how far the series has come in terms of quality.

Raven

I recently got Oblivion last week, since Skyrim was my first TES game (and RPG for that matter, never really thought I'd get into it but man was I wrong) just to get more of an experience of TES
I LOVE it, walking out of the sewers and seeing the lush green forests for the first time blew me the hell away. I spent alot of time aimlessly wandering around the map
My only gripe, lack of manly beards and crappy faces

Clavicus

I still like Oblivion better for quests, NPC interaction, guild factions, player attributes and the interface.

I never really fell in love with Oblivion's forests, but I do like them. I also like Skyrim's though. I think Skyrim's dungeons are better than OB's. Something I really enjoy about Skyrim is how sometimes you walk along to an objective and look up to see a giant mountain and think 'shat, I gotta walk around'. In Oblivion the map was pretty flat.

I don't really understand what you mean by better gameplay, as they play pretty much the same to me, except perhaps Skyrim's dual wielding. I would take Oblivions hotkey system over Skyrim's favorites menu any day.

I do like that Skyrim doesn't force you to grind a skill to raise endurance though.

Ksncalver

For me Oblivion was the first ES game I played. First game I really cared about howard hours I could squeeze out of my day. Before it I use to play different games thinking it was not for me. Oblivion hooked me in. I loved it. Yes it had problems. And in some places compared to Skyrim it really looks poor.

I loved the arena was a great aspect of that game was battling away like a gladiator, fighting for you life.

So good luck with it. Stick with it and enjoy the good things about it. Try not to compare to Skyrim.

Hunfar

I forgot about the Arena, kinda lame that not even big bad Skyrim has one, since it's suppose to be a really cruel/tough place.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts