I can't stick to one character...?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
I typically cannot get passed level 45 because I end up getting bored. Yet, I still want to play, if that makes any sense? The difficulty isn't the problem. I started noticing that once I get my armor and enchantments maxed out (armor cap, etc), I just lose interest... Should I try not relying on smithing at all and see how that goes? But then I feel like I'm not being the strongest I can be and I miss my Daedric weapons really bad.

And I've done many different types of builds: Shield/one handed, the two handed, the archer type, the assassin/theif, mage, ones with everything mixed in, etc. and some of them two or three times.

Once I get in the 40's levels, I get bored, yet get excited when thinking about starting a new character. So, at this point, I have started so many different characters now I can't keep track. What's something new I can try? I read people with many players on level 70 and above, and I just can't stick to it.

At this point, I have done these same quests SOOO many times from starting over constantly, and I know that's going to catch up with me soon. So I'm trying to make one character that I'm just going to cherish and beat ass until the end with. Thoughts, opinions? What did you have the most fun with? What character did you really stick with to the end because it was so much fun?

AS88

Staff member
Even now, the highest I've ever got was Level 56 with a Nord warrior build. I feel like once the character's decisions stop making sense, it's time to start again.

Kaelbu

That's me. I run out of interesting quests that make sense for the character, so I end up making a new character that can do what the previous one couldn't. Right now I'm on an assasin who is not completely sane... She's sort of my "anything goes" character, which is letting me do the stuff I usually shy away from for the sake of role playing. But (for various reasons both intentional and not) I have never leveled a character past 28. So I know how exciting the prospect of a clean slate can be.

I may never reach "the end" with any character at this rate, but I've at least resolved to keep two seperate characters:
-A Nord's Nord Dragonborn for all the good-guy dragon-slaying country-serving stuff (won't be doing sneaky quests or daedric quests).
-And the aforementioned mentally-unstable Bosmer assasin for my murdery-stealthy-insanity fix (won't be doing any Dragonborn quests.

That's te only way I've found to cope. :)

thanks2Ralof

Friend 'O dog
wow!...its almost like i wrote that. same thing happens to me every time. I makes deals with myself that i'll see it through but i always find a reason to start over...AAAAUUUGGHHH!!!! :eek::mad::confused:

thanks2Ralof

Friend 'O dog
I typically cannot get passed level 45 because I end up getting bored. Yet, I still want to play, if that makes any sense? The difficulty isn't the problem. I started noticing that once I get my armor and enchantments maxed out (armor cap, etc), I just lose interest... Should I try not relying on smithing at all and see how that goes? But then I feel like I'm not being the strongest I can be and I miss my Daedric weapons really bad.

And I've done many different types of builds: Shield/one handed, the two handed, the archer type, the assassin/theif, mage, ones with everything mixed in, etc. and some of them two or three times.

Once I get in the 40's levels, I get bored, yet get excited when thinking about starting a new character. So, at this point, I have started so many different characters now I can't keep track. What's something new I can try? I read people with many players on level 70 and above, and I just can't stick to it.

At this point, I have done these same quests SOOO many times from starting over constantly, and I know that's going to catch up with me soon. So I'm trying to make one character that I'm just going to cherish and beat ass until the end with. Thoughts, opinions? What did you have the most fun with? What character did you really stick with to the end because it was so much fun?

Ive tried to think of what simple changes could increase my continued interest --Npc's more aware of me (whether infamous or famous) ...and--money becomes too easy too obtain--by the time im making 300$ potions to sell or capturing expensive "souls" the ease with which i get cash bores me...---just some thoughts---:cool:

Gigapact

That's me. I run out of interesting quests that make sense for the character, so I end up making a new character that can do what the previous one couldn't. Right now I'm on an assasin who is not completely sane... She's sort of my "anything goes" character, which is letting me do the stuff I usually shy away from for the sake of role playing. But (for various reasons both intentional and not) I have never leveled a character past 28. So I know how exciting the prospect of a clean slate can be.

I may never reach "the end" with any character at this rate, but I've at least resolved to keep two seperate characters:
-A Nord's Nord Dragonborn for all the good-guy dragon-slaying country-serving stuff (won't be doing sneaky quests or daedric quests).
-And the aforementioned mentally-unstable Bosmer assasin for my murdery-stealthy-insanity fix (won't be doing any Dragonborn quests.

That's te only way I've found to cope. :)
Hah level 28? I feel a little better now at least lol. But I get what you're saying. After my first two characters, I gave up the whole die hard role playing stuff because I was getting annoyed, so I just started doing whatever I wanted, which made it a little more fun (so what if my one handed archer with a terrifying magic ability in the negatives is the archmage of Winterhold?)

But I'm noticing I just like making armor and weapons and enchanting them to the best of my ability and then just be proud of it. So while my current girl is heavy armor, I said fl*ff it and I'm now leveling her in light armor so I can make that stunning glass armor and enchant the plops out of it. That way, I can choose literally any armor I want and go between Daedric, glass, etc. Should keep a variety and nice change once in a while instead of being tied down to one class of armor.

Maybe I'll even work with alchemy for the first time in my life and pickpocketing (never had the patience for either one) and see how that goes. I'm really gonna try to stick with this one, fingers crossed!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
When I start having a collection of characters with everything completed (Dawnguard/Dragonborn/Mainquest/Civil war) I begin to execute them to make room for new characters.

I find it boring to be an overly-powered being. It makes the game less fun.

DustyMayFire

Skyforge apprentice
I have the same troubles. I'll start my character with either joining the Stormcloaks or Imperials, and I'll kind of far, and sometimes I'll use console commands, but then I'll feel like it's too easy or it's stupid that I'm cheating, so I'll start another character. It kind of goes in that cycle for me.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I typically cannot get passed level 45 because I end up getting bored. Yet, I still want to play, if that makes any sense?

It makes absolute sense. The more you play different factions with different characters, the less inclined you will be to have an 'Everything' character that will allow you to achieve high levels.

One way around it that may make sense Rp wise is have your character grow and mature as you go through the different quests. Perhaps starting off as a young, naive magic inclined elf who also has an interest in helping the imperials. Start those 2 questlines than you find out that to be effective on the battlefield, you needs some sword/armour training from the companions... As your character grows (the plastic surgeon in Riften may help your character age?) than you might come across some disturbing things in the war that changes you from being naive/young to being a more self reliant & focused character and so joins the Brotherhood or Dawngaurd. DB opens the door to TG (or the other way around) and before you know it your halfway through killing some helpless chef when it dawns on your character how twisted youve become. go on a soul searching journey where you discover that dragon blood has been running through your veins all this time and to 'find yourself' again, you must save the world....

Iv found doing the main questline last is a good way to keep myself interested and fighting legendary and revererd dragons is a reward by itself.

(remember: you dont have to finish and become the leader of Everything, i find it easier Rp-wise if I choose 1 leadership and just remain an apprentice in the other factions. Participate in all the misc missions to gain xp but just dont further the main quest)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I got to over level 70 once, it's so much fun on master. Revered dragons attacking the cities, landing in the court yard of the blue palace. It was awesome. (even then I still didn't finish dragonborn DLC and have yet to)

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I pretty much have the same problem. What I do wrong, is that I keep giving in to the urge to do stuff that doesn't suit my characters built. Like my most recent Altmer Mage. I know it would be cool if he had the power of the Voice. It would give him something the rest of the College doesn't have. But then I'd go out of my characters way again.
The thing that helps me, is having multiple characters. I can switch to other characters whenever I feel bored. What helps even more, is that I make up background stories for them, and sometimes even a list of ancestors. It makes them feel more 'alive' and reminds me of what I should or shouldn't do with a character.

Gigapact

I got to over level 70 once, it's so much fun on master. Revered dragons attacking the cities, landing in the court yard of the blue palace. It was awesome. (even then I still didn't finish dragonborn DLC and have yet to)
I haven't finished that DLC either, no worries. I've been on the master since level 1 but it certainly does get easier with the right armor and weapons. I switched it to Legendary now, and very fun. Although, just for kicks, I made a new player really quick and began from legendary difficulty to get through Helgen. Holy plops.....

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I haven't finished that DLC either, no worries. I've been on the master since level 1 but it certainly does get easier with the right armor and weapons. I switched it to Legendary now, and very fun. Although, just for kicks, I made a new player really quick and began from legendary difficulty to get through Helgen. Holy pl***.....

haha I can imagine. Hey I just had a suicidal thought. Go to Forelhost on level one on legendary difficulty! YAY!

Gigapact

I haven't finished that DLC either, no worries. I've been on the master since level 1 but it certainly does get easier with the right armor and weapons. I switched it to Legendary now, and very fun. Although, just for kicks, I made a new player really quick and began from legendary difficulty to get through Helgen. Holy pl***.....

haha I can imagine. Hey I just had a suicidal thought. Go to Forelhost on level one on legendary difficulty! YAY!

HELL NO, I didn't go anywhere. By the time I got out of Helgen I was so pissed. I was ready to drop nuclear bombs on my TV, my console, and Bethesda themselves. I was gearing up and then said screw it because I didn't want to get the Death Penalty.

Anyhow, have you done this? I swear to god, it truly was hard. Nothing compared to master difficulty. I had to literally hit those damned stormcloaks about 25 times each, with the other two guys helping out. Of course, you barely have any stamina, so you can only execute about two power attacks before you're completely fl*ffed. I was reading on other forums about legendary mode before I did this, and they were right. It's hard as plops (excuse all the cussing). They all said you were going to be running away a lot, and nothing in my life had turned out to be so true. I was running my ass off attempting to heal myself, especially when those two guys went down with low health, they all came after me with their death dealing two handed weapons. I was near death so many times that I finally had a healing spell in my left hand (I never do that) and just kept running away like a little bitch lol.

If I'm being honest, I actually died I think 3 times in Helgen. Because now they can do that slow motion power attacks to you to finish you off every time. So I got a nice slow motion video each time I was being obliterated and delivered to Sithis himself. Very depressing.

By the time I got out of that godforsaken place, I was already on level 3, just about level 4, with my one handed almost at 29 (from 15) because of all the constant whacking I had to do on those Stormcloak's backs. Restoration also went up a few times as you could imagine. Because even if you run away and return, your allies have barely made a dent in the enemy, just like you. You are all equally powerless.

Now, while difficult is all well and good, it should not be that unbalanced. Why is it that those damn Stormcloaks have an ungodly amount of HP, deal nearly death blows every time on me with crappy weapons, and barely take any damage when they're wearing plopsty armor? They don't fight any smarter, just have a fl*ff load of HP and stamina. It should still be FAIR, but they should fight smarter. Using more potions, healing their mates, taking cover, having more enemies to deal with at once, they have enchanted weapons and armor, etc. Not that they still fight like dumbasses.

So I was done after I finally beat that giant with the Companions (all of my arrows and one handed attacks barely did any damage. I didn't see any difference in his HP) Soooo done. I needed to stop before I blew up the whole world. I understand that it forces you to play different, but it's not the right kind of difficulty to me. This difficulty is meant, in my opinion, to be chosen when you have good armor and good weapons, that way it will be hard, yet balanced. I was reading people that did what I did, and they were constantly running away, avoiding almost everything, death my mudcrabs, etc.

AS88

Staff member

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I try to keep my characters from becoming overpowered and that keeps everything interesting.

sticky runes

I don't think the 40s are a bad level to play up to, to be honest.

One thing you could do is to NOT use fast travel (I don't know if you do this) not using fast travel does make my gaming experience far more engaging, because it feels more natural and there are things i miss out on when I fast travel. I don't know who or what I'm going to bump into when I'm on the road - soldiers, thalmor, Vigilants of stendaar, vampires, revelers, mercenaries - even if I'm treading the same road for the 500th time, there's bound to be a surprise at some point.

Also, are you able to make your skills legendary, so you can reset all your skills that are at level 100 back to 15, and use the perks to power other skills that you aren't using as much?

Gigapact

I don't think the 40s are a bad level to play up to, to be honest.

One thing you could do is to NOT use fast travel (I don't know if you do this) not using fast travel does make my gaming experience far more engaging, because it feels more natural and there are things i miss out on when I fast travel. I don't know who or what I'm going to bump into when I'm on the road - soldiers, thalmor, Vigilants of stendaar, vampires, revelers, mercenaries - even if I'm treading the same road for the 500th time, there's bound to be a surprise at some point.

Also, are you able to make your skills legendary, so you can reset all your skills that are at level 100 back to 15, and use the perks to power other skills that you aren't using as much?

Yeah, I try to keep it even. If I don't have a long time to play, I use fast travel. If I have a lazy day, I do like you said, typically no fast travel.

About the Legendary, I really kicked myself in the ass in my previous game with that whole concept. I got my smithing to 100 (and some other skill), and didn't really think it through when I made those legendary and saved my game a little while after. Then, I really needed those skills and the perks in the upper part of their tree, and it took FOREVER. Do you know that once you make it legendary, if it now takes even more time to level them up? Even starting from 15 again? Or does the process completely reset with leveling it up?

The way I look at legendary is, if I really invested that much time to get a skill to 100, chances are I really need/use it. Even not combat related skills like smithing and enchanting. If I want a brand new set of armor and enchantments, I want to be able to do it. And things like Sneak are just too useful. So I haven't really found one to make legendary.... which ones have you?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts