How would you play a Ranger build?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
My ideal ranger build:
  • No armour. At all You want to move quickly through the underbrush in pursuit of your quarry, so you want thin, light-fitting clothes that protect you from the elements but don't restrict your movement.
  • Marksmanship. For obvious reasons. You try hunting deer with a sword! I don't restrict myself to any kind of bow, though, unless I'm a Bosmer (no wood allowed, and all). Your character should find their favourite type of bow and stick with that.
  • One-handed, but no shield. A dagger is a must for skinning your felled prey, but a sword is OK. Don't use a shield; those cumbersome boards will only slow you down! You can still be good at blocking, as that's a part of swordplay, but you should use the weapon itself! You're out by yourself, so you should know how to take down a bandit or two with your sword skills should the bow fail.
  • Alchemy. You're supposed to be an expert on nature and plants, and you may as well put that to good use with some poisons. Then you won't have to chase after a deer like a crazy person if it doesn't die in one hit!
  • Smithing. I know, but hear me out - you're self-sufficient! You should know how to build and maintain your weapons!
  • Sneak. You're not going to kill any deer if they hear you coming from three miles away! I like to imagine that the sneak skill includes such things as knowing when you're up or down-wind, and that kind of thing.
  • Get yourself a dog! I prefer to use a stray, if you can find one, as it just seems to fit better. You saved him, now he helps you - you're a team who met out in the wilds and forged your own story together!

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
Why no armor? Wouldn't you at least wear hide or leather? Then again I power game a bit and always build hybrids and they require a bit of power gaming. [emoji14]

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Why no armor? Wouldn't you at least wear hide or leather? Then again I power game a bit and always build hybrids and they require a bit of power gaming. [emoji14]

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Partly for RP reasons, on my part. Rangers need to be moving quickly and quietly across difficult terrain and through dense foliage, and you don't want stiff, thick armour (and in real life, even fur and leather armours would be stiff and thick compared to regular clothing - they wouldn't be like leather jackets) hindering your movement and catching on branches. For the same reasons, stealth would be difficult in light armour too, what with its rigidity and all those fastenings and such. And in Skyrim, the stealth mechanics do slightly favour clothing over light armour, at least early on, so there's that. Finally - you're a ranger! You're not supposed to get hit in the first place! Maybe some gauntlets would be acceptable (as you'll be getting sore fingers from all that bowstring-drawing otherwise), and some stiff leather boots for the walking, but other than that, I'd stick with regular clothes.

That's my rationale for it, anyway!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts