PC How to bind your stuff to number keys

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wolfy Snackrib

I played this game for about two days, being frustrated as hell to only be able to press "F" on objects in my inventory to favorise them, which means you gotta pause the game everytime you want to change your weapon, shout, magic or drink a potion. Then by accident I found out how to bind the favorites to numeral keys.

This is how you do it: Press Q to see your list of favourites. Hold your mouse over desired item and press any of the number keys 1 - 8.
That way, live in the game without pausing, just press a number to change to your bound item.
I for example got a big-ass hammer on 1. Bow on 2. Fire magic on 3, etc...

Hope this helps. Frustrated the hell out of me. No one of my friends seemed to know about it, and they were happy to find out, so I thought I'd post it.

demujin

Thank you so much for informing me. This makes being a mage so much simpler. The hotkeys are very responsive and if you do a 'double tap' on a number the spell will dual equip.

jimmersonsglove

I was going crazy trying to figure this out. Thx. But i would really like to be able to do the same thing with the 360 controller for pc. Seems the up d pad button is the favorites menu. But left, right and down do nothing. It would only make sence to use these in the same way you can bind 1-8 im gonna have to try this when i get out of work. If anyone has found out how to do this with the noob stick i would love to know how

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
This is indeed useful. But you all would have known this already if you simply had read the short “Help” section in the game itself :p There are a lot of other useful tips, too, so check it out!

demujin

This is indeed useful. But you all would have known this already if you simply had read the short “Help” section in the game itself :p There are a lot of other useful tips, too, so check it out!

Yes I never was good at reading directions :-)

P_SparQs

Oh man this is a great tip. I thought I was going to need a Mod in order to hotkey my fave weapons and spells. Remember the hotkey wheel in OBLIVION? I miss that.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Where's the ingame help section?
Just press ESC during the game, go to the “General” section next to the “Quest” section (I don’t know how if it is really called “General” in the English version since I couldn’t get Steam to change the language yet) and there should be “Help” written somewhere on the left side.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
good post. I figured this one right away but it was a lucky guess. The tutorial doesn't really teach you much in the game... I wasn't aware you can move objects by holding e. I thought it was like oblivion so I accidently pressed z for unrelenting force. I tried picked up a book, ended up with everything flying around the room.

P_SparQs

I really liked these tips here. The game feels much better for me. Check it out:

Hope these make you Skyrim experience better. :-)

Akatz

Does anyone know how to differentiate from pressing a number to going on the left hand or right hand?

Mike Saltzman

Does anyone know how to differentiate from pressing a number to going on the left hand or right hand?

This!

I stumbled upon the ability to tie favorite to shortcut keys accidentally. But there doesn't seem to be any way to link the favorites to a particular hand. The game just chooses a hand for you and I can't see any way to change it.

Personally, I think even the number keys are a pretty poor UI. I think you should be able to link a number key to a particular SET of items, not just a single item or spell.

Is there a good mod for this, yet?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts