How do you decide what type of character you want to play?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wallcat

When starting a new game how do you go about deciding what type of character you want to play? Do you have a favourite race and build that you stick to each time or do you prefer to try something you haven't already done? Do you decide on what personality you want your character to have first, or base who they are on the decisions you make during character creation? My favourite characters are usually the ones that are unplanned. They're like happy little accidents. Perhaps I was messing about with the character creation tool and suddenly got inspired. I also read recently that our own situation in real life can inspire the type of characters we like to play. I enjoy walking and wildlife photography, so I guess I'm drawn towards playing characters that are connected to animals and nature in some way. I'm also interested in Gothic things and will go for darker, necromancer type characters too. Then I'll have a random moment where I go for the exact opposite of what I like, as it can be a fun challenge trying to role play a character that's different to what you know.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
I went through character creation several times before settling on my main, Cordelia. My first was a Bosmer named Malloriel, because archery is my jam, and I knew literally nothing about the Elder Scrolls other than the fact that my best friend loved it.

It still took another three or four dry starts before I hit on the idea that would be Cordelia.

She looked like Charisma Carpenter's character, Cordelia, during the second or third season of Angel, when she had short hair. Happy with her appearance, I forged ahead. This was my "explore everything" character.

That became "explore choices at least somewhat in line with your own views and decisions".

That, too, was augmented by "Ah. I see. She's a mercenary!", because I developed a habit of hiding and posing bodies to throw off suspicion (in my head) should anyone come near.

I pick pocketed at first, but stopped after I got the increased weight perk. I never touched the thieves guild on that character.

I was dedicated because of the freedom. I had my rules, I had personality and history that developed over time, much of which I either imagined while walking a horse down the road, or came up with on the fly when I imagined conversations between she and her follower.

I didn't know who she was when I started. I didn't know much about Skyrim when I started. She still is my biggest investment.

I've made several characters since then. Some have been planned, others are built on exploring concepts. One shows great promise.

She was planned, becauses I couldn't see my way to agreeing with the Stormcloaks (everybody's wrong, but I could at least side with the Imperials). But I wanted to experience the Stormcloak side of the civil war. So, rather than make a character I felt was evil enough to perpetuate the chaos, I made someone with direct ties and motivation to help the Stormcloaks.

If you'll forgive the non-canon liberties: I made Talfrîdh Stormcloak; Ulfric's daughter and heir.

Her story has started with some juicy and fairly well developed chapters, but now that I can't play on PC with the mods I had (such as the follower Arissa), I can't base the story off the events that manifest in the playthrough.

(Dunno if you noticed, but I like to role play, as well, and write fan fic about it.)

So, long story short (too late), I do a mix of both, with mixed success.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
My first character and the one I finish the main story with is always a Pure Mage in fantasy games. I absolutely love Mages, very squishy at first, but once you make it far enough there is nothing that will stop them. I often find myself getting bored with other types of playstyles, whereas I find Mages can do so much more with different magics.

Oblivion was my favorite for magic cause I could jedi mind trick people with illusion. I need information from someone:

"Go away I'm not speaking to you."

*hits with green spell*

"Hi there! It is so great to see you my friend, let me tell you everything I know, including things that are unrelated."

Davian

When I first picked up Skyrim (on my brother's XBox), I created a female Breton because I have British ancestry, and I thought that was nice that Bretons were a race. Since then, I have played as an Orc, Altmer, Redguard, several times (including currently) as a Nord, once as an Argonian (because I thought, that kind of makes sense that the Dragonborn would be reptilian), and also currently (thanks to mods) as a Snow Elf spellsword.

I even thought of creative pseudonyms for them. DragonbOrc, DragonBrother (Redguard, because he's black), Dragonbitch (Altmer, thinking of Elenwen), etc.

roydovah

It took me ages to find my perfect character. Finally,I settled in with an Imperial one handed and shield warrior.

Enviado do meu SM-G530FZ através de Tapatalk

sticky runes

I normally put in some careful planning before starting a new character. Quite often I decide which NPC I want to marry next and come up with a story about how these characters meet and make a connection, and base the character's personal story around their common interests. Kind of like a matchmaking game! I won't just think "I want to marry that character, so I'll travel to where they live and marry them at the earliest opportunity" i will come up with a reason for why my character needs to travel there. Maybe I'm going there to learn some tips from the court mage or alchemist or blacksmith, or maybe I stopped at the village while traveling to another quest, and became involved with a local dispute which caused me to cross paths with this person. I'll even base my character's appearance on whatever i think suits the chosen partner, so that they don't look mismatched to me.

Clau

The Fateless One
I have this habit of "re-imagine" my characters from other video-games and pan out a roleplay in accord with the chosen game's lore and questlines.

My re-creation at the moment:

Geralt of Rivia from Witcher
Fateless One from Kingdom of Amalur
Main Character in Fable 2
My Grey Warden / Champion / Inquisitor in Skyrim
Piper from Fallout 4
My characters from Morrowind
My characters from Oblivion

When not re-imagining characters from other RPGs, I take cue from literature, movies and other TV fantasy series. It's the reason I keep playing Skyrim, to play out new RP characters.

I'm just really partial to warriors. I played a mage through got to about level 60 and went back to warrior again. Just something about the sword wielding I love. The most recent has been a Conan type guy so finished thieves guild with him. Companions quest etc. I like putting some restrictions on my characters. Kind of get bored with being great at everything. Adds a little challenge to the game as well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Wallcat

I'm just really partial to warriors. I played a mage through got to about level 60 and went back to warrior again. Just something about the sword wielding I love. The most recent has been a Conan type guy so finished thieves guild with him. Companions quest etc. I like putting some restrictions on my characters. Kind of get bored with being great at everything. Adds a little challenge to the game as well.

I agree. Perfect characters are less interesting to play. If I have a choice of weapons it'll either be swords or bows. Just something about swords that feels more honourable. They require a bit more skill to use than other weapons too.

Pete

After playing Skyrim a many times, I realized, that since I now know the quests, etc.. and won't be surprised... to fill that gap, I need a character that has a background created before the game starts, so that I know what kind of choices to make. The background influences decisions, etc...

Simple things like an imperial character who flees the imperial capital because their bother could shout and thus they may be true emperors. So the family is executed and only one escapes, etc..

I've just recently decided my next character will be a warrior again. BUT I not be smithing. I think it will add an interesting challenge to the game as finding and buying good blades and armor will more valuable. Plus it will make fighting a little more challenging as I will be,depending more on my skills rather than on some uber blade or super armor that is far better than my opponents. It'll make dungeon crawling,even cooler as I would always be looking for the next best thing instead of just smithing something up and enchanting it.

I will need to either use alchemy or enchanting as a skill,in order to,assist in climbing levels. Other wise going up,on levels will,just take too,long. Its too bad that smithing, alchemy or enchanting are the only skills you can actively develop.

erook7878

For funsies, I'll create a character based off some historical character like honest Abe Lincoln. I'll marry some narc who likes being around me. Unfortunately, like the real story, it doesn't end well.

OursIsTheFury

Depends on what I haven't tried yet. My first playthrough was the classic one handed warrior with shield and spell, so next playthough I was interested in becoming a pure mage. Or a pure archer, or a dagger only assassin, and even punching people who I didn't like. I even did a Captain America run where I just shield-bashed all my enemies. Fun, am I right?

krnd

The first time honestly I just rushed through creation, oddly enough I ended up liking my one handed warrior.. Nowadays I feel like switching it up and focusing on some more challenging parts of the game such as spells and perhaps archer only characters!

Archer Drake

Parkour Enthusiast
I tend to always stick to Argonians and Khajiit. Why? I haven't the faintest idea. I play as a Rogue in almost every game because I have an affinity for stealthiness. In Skyrim, I have essentially two classes:

1.) The Argonian Assassin
- This character is a lightly armored unit that exclusively uses dual daggers. I join the Thieves Guild very often with this character, but never the Dark Brotherhood. I focus on stealth attacks and picking people off silently. If combat does break out, I use a sort of strike-and-fade tactic that involves a lot of movement and avoidance of enemy attacks until I get an opening I can work with.

2.) The Khajiit Archer
- I used to be an archer in real life, so I'm naturally drawn to this class. This class is the epitome of stealth and evasion and by far my favorite. This character uses light armor and bows, and is always a member of the Thieves Guild, sometimes I join the Dark Brotherhood, but that doesn't happen often. I've always liked sneaky attacks at a distance, which is why is always use a sniper in shooter games. Anyway, Skyrim did Archery very well and, to me at least, it seems different from the usual sword-toting warrior or mage. There's definitely more planning and skill involved with an Archer build especially when it's success hinges on stealth and distance, two things that aren't very important with other builds. However, there is nothing more rewarding in Skyrim than getting that sneak shot from a mile away.

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
There's an ancient text that roughly translates: If it ain't Hist, then I'm friggin' pissed. Represent that ol' Black Marsh with your resilience and scaly shimmer. My namesake was a ruthless Vam-Pyromancer, and my current lizard avatar is all about that Hircine worship (I haven't done it yet, but there's a Were-Croc mod out there that's calling it's sweet siren's song.)

Depends on what I haven't tried yet. My first playthrough was the classic one handed warrior with shield and spell, so next playthough I was interested in becoming a pure mage. Or a pure archer, or a dagger only assassin, and even punching people who I didn't like. I even did a Captain America run where I just shield-bashed all my enemies. Fun, am I right?
Captain America, that's badass! The next step is only logical: Killer Croc. Argonian brawler!

Tank6904

When starting a new game how do you go about deciding what type of character you want to play? Do you have a favourite race and build that you stick to each time or do you prefer to try something you haven't already done? Do you decide on what personality you want your character to have first, or base who they are on the decisions you make during character creation? My favourite characters are usually the ones that are unplanned. They're like happy little accidents. Perhaps I was messing about with the character creation tool and suddenly got inspired. I also read recently that our own situation in real life can inspire the type of characters we like to play. I enjoy walking and wildlife photography, so I guess I'm drawn towards playing characters that are connected to animals and nature in some way. I'm also interested in Gothic things and will go for darker, necromancer type characters too. Then I'll have a random moment where I go for the exact opposite of what I like, as it can be a fun challenge trying to role play a character that's different to what you know.

Normally, I start such games with a tank/melee character just because it doesn't require a lot of thought and you get a chance to acclimate to the in game environment. I did that in Skyrim. My first character was a Redguard with one handed, block, archery, heavy armor, and smithing perks. finished the game as expected after siding with the imperials wearing Dragonplate and wielding Daedric weapons.

My second play through has been different. A wood elf specializing in archery, two handed, light armor, smithing, sneak, and enchanting sided with the stormcloaks. He is wearing legendary dragonscale which I will enchant when my perks are high enough. Has a glass broadsword, two glass bows (soul capture and magica damage).

Although I haven't finished the main quest yet, I honestly think this guy is a harder hitter than my tank... and I think investing the perks that I had in the block tree into enchant will overall be far more effective.

Other things I have learned...it really pays to sleep regularly and be married to your follower so you basically get a portable lovers comfort bonus no matter which bed you sleep in. I made the mistake of marrying the girl from the College of Winterhold but have been running around with Aela.

Last edited:

Zolo-Shea

Lizard Wizard
I made the mistake of marrying the girl from the College of Winterhold but have been running around with Aela.

Here's a free tip: don't let your mage wife hear about your werewolf wife!

Pinguu

The Legendary Assassin
The first time you play sart the game as a battle-mage (spell in left hand(heal, destruction or conjuration) and one-handed weapon in right hand) then progress to more complicated things (like a illusion/mystic assassin)

That is how i started the game, i like to play mystic Assassin/Dual dagger assassin

and if you choose to play assassin this is my favourite gear for my build anyway -

Ancient shrouded cowl or Nightingale hood
Ancient shrouded armor or Nightingale armor
Ancient shrouded gloves or Nightingale gloves
Ancient shrouded boots or Nightingale boots

Right hand - Daedric dagger - Paralyze target and ice damage
Left hand - Daedric dagger - Absorb heal and Fiery soul trap
Bow - Bound bow - Mystic binding perk or Daedric bow - Maxed out archery skill tree

One handed skill tree - Dual flurry (2/2) that is the main one u want to get

First 10 levels do Stamina then if your going to get bound bow do magick, stamina, magick, etc.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts