How did you come across Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Aniratak

Obvious answer for alot of you perhaps - You were already a fan of the Elder Scrolls series.

For me: My boyfriend bought it for himself when it came out in 2011. I had never heard of it. I remember he came home one day with a bag and said "I have a bought a present for us. There is supposed to be dragons and stuff in it!". And he pulled the game out of the bag (with a shiny halo around it, and halleluja music playing in the background. Haha, no just kidding.) Little did I know of what I had in store. I didn't bother to much about it at that time.

He ended up playing it for a day and two and got tired of it. So I gave it a try - and rest is history! Actually I thought it was pretty hard at first, but after a day or two I just couldn't leave it alone.

So I would like to thank my boyfriend for buying it for himself, and then for not liking it (actually, in the end the game was for me). I probably would never have seen Skyrim if he hadn't.

How did you come across Skyrim?

I was a veteran of Oblivion so Bethesda had their hooks in me a long time ago. There are times when i wish they hadn't but there isn't anything to compare with The Elder Scrolls. It's a shame as Bethesda would benefit from greater competition, they can appear a little complacent towards their customers sometimes.

Skyrim is only a cash cow for Bethesda because we make it one.

JClarke1953

I was in Target looking, as our son had gotten stationed at Okinawa for 2-year's, so I "inherited" his XBox (the black 360). I do pretty much single-player games, and was told Skyrim (and Reckoning) were good. I had a blast with Reckoning, and I do enjoy Skyrim (and now Dishonored).

It just seems Bethesda is trying to smack all the fun out of the game, and has been for the 14-months I've had it.

Aniratak

I was in Target looking, as our son had gotten stationed at Okinawa for 2-year's, so I "inherited" his XBox (the black 360). I do pretty much single-player games, and was told Skyrim (and Reckoning) were good. I had a blast with Reckoning, and I do enjoy Skyrim (and now Dishonored).

It just seems Bethesda is trying to smack all the fun out of the game, and has been for the 14-months I've had it.

I am not English so I'm not 100% sure if I understand everthing correct. When you say "trying to smack all the fun out of the game" do you mean that in a way that they made the game worse? Or how would you put it? I'm just curious because I've never played Oblivion or Morrowind so I can't compare this one to any other TES.

Aniratak

I was a veteran of Oblivion so Bethesda had their hooks in me a long time ago. There are times when i wish they hadn't but there isn't anything to compare with The Elder Scrolls. It's a shame as Bethesda would benefit from greater competition, they can appear a little complacent towards their customers sometimes.

Skyrim is only a cash cow for Bethesda because we make it one.

I agree, it's a shame there is no competition for them. We would all benefit from more games like this. I often get the feeling that games are made in a hurry.. That they don't really care for what people think of the gameplay. They just do it their way and hope the marketing brings in alot of sales so they can just move along to their next game and do the same thing all over again. (Not with the Elder Scrolls though)

JClarke1953

I am not English so I'm not 100% sure if I understand everthing correct. When you say "trying to smack all the fun out of the game" do you mean that in a way that they made the game worse? Or how would you put it?

Hey Aniratak, Yeh, I meant that Bethesda seems to be working more to take the fun out of the game. About it becoming worse? That seems to be their main goal. There are so many problems in this game already. Now from what I've been reading, Bethesda has, well, NOT improved it.

Aniratak

Hey Aniratak, Yeh, I meant that Bethesda seems to be working more to take the fun out of the game. About it becoming worse? That seems to be their main goal. There are so many problems in this game already. Now from what I've been reading, Bethesda has, well, NOT improved it.

Let's hope they read up on some of the Skyrim forums and learn something for their next TES.

JClarke1953

Lol! They say they do (I had called them many times last year because of Arcwind Point), and they claim they read these Forum's. Thing is, from what's been put out (the DLC's especially), I'm not sure they do, or ever have.

Aniratak

Making games is like some sort of art-form in my opinion.. If you rush it or just make it with the purpose of earning alot of cash, it will most likely not end up very well. You need to do it because you want to do it. The most famous painters and musicians are not the ones who did it because they wanted to be rich and famous.. If you get what I'm saying... You have to have something you want to show the world, not just think that you want to show "something" to get what you want. You also have to like what you are doing. Alot of companies don't follow this I believe. Perhaps they hate the characters and the story they create, but it doesn't matter what they think because they don't have a say in it. So their heart is not in it...

I believe Bethesda really loves the types of games they make and love what they do for a living, and I do hope they recognize the importance of feedback from their fans.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I played Morrowind on p.c and Oblivion and Skyrim on xbox, it was 2003 I think I got my p.c and I was in the gamestore looking for age of empires when I seen a deal think it was 2 games for 25pound and I got morrowind by luck, and the rest was history :D oh look its my elder scrolls 10year aniversary lol

Ritterkreuz

I was complaining to a friend about how short the single player campaign was in Assassin's Creed Revelations. She told me that I had to play Skyrim and that I would love it. It was near Christmas so I told my wife about it as a gift idea and lo and behold she bought it for me.

Aniratak

I bet alot of people heard of Skyrim through friends.. Word of mouth is essential! The best marketing there is! (And thats why it's so important to make a good game. Anyone you know saying a highly anticipated game is bad you'll never end up buying it even though their commercial is the best)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I've always had an issue finding games that I really like and am really pretty new to gaming. I ran across the Lord of the Rings: War in the North game about a year ago and was obsessed with it so I thought I'd look for something else that would be in the same genre.

My other 1/2 plays games constantly and has a subscription to Game Informer magazine and I ran across an article about Skyrim in it and thought it looked interesting. After a little more research, I broke down and bought it.

Best purchase ever! I'm in a month and a 1/2 now and still obsessed (50-60 hours a week!). Now I need the DLC's.

Questions though: Should I go ahead and invest in the 1st 4 Elder Scrolls games as well? Are there any others by Bethesda in the same genre?

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
My son got me into. He knows that I love medieval legends and history but I never played any other game related to Skyrim before.

Tyer032392

I've always had an issue finding games that I really like and am really pretty new to gaming. I ran across the Lord of the Rings: War in the North game about a year ago and was obsessed with it so I thought I'd look for something else that would be in the same genre.

My other 1/2 plays games constantly and has a subscription to Game Informer magazine and I ran across an article about Skyrim in it and thought it looked interesting. After a little more research, I broke down and bought it.

Best purchase ever! I'm in a month and a 1/2 now and still obsessed (50-60 hours a week!). Now I need the DLC's.

Questions though: Should I go ahead and invest in the 1st 4 Elder Scrolls games as well? Are there any others by Bethesda in the same genre?

From what I have heard from the other forum people, go ahead and buy the other games. Just do not go into the older games expecting it to be Skyrim as they are all pretty dated in terms of graphics compared to Skyrim; however, graphics are only a small part of the essential equation for a good game.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
From what I have heard from the other forum people, go ahead and buy the other games. Just do not go into the older games expecting it to be Skyrim as they are all pretty dated in terms of graphics compared to Skyrim; however, graphics are only a small part of the essential equation for a good game.
I completely agree re the graphics. I've heard from others that the original games fill in a lot of back story. I hear so many names and references that I have no idea about (and frankly am too lazy to read up on), so I'd like to experience them for myself. I understand that there was a game prior to the original Elder Scrolls. Do you know it's name?

gangraad

dragonguard
I've been playing TES since morrowind (most likely the game I've spend the most time on, ever). Oblivion demanded too much for my pc so it never really got me hooked. Then came skyrim, and the main reason for me to buy an xbox. I will get the dlc's, but will not patch up 1.9.

Agent of Shadow

Dragon Priest
My dad is/was a devout Elder Scrolls player, and as such, when I was a bit younger, I watched him play Morrowind on his PC for countless hours. When I inquired if I could play such an advanced game as this, he gave the response that it was too complicated. So I was content with watching. After he retired his Breton battlemage, he got Oblivion and all the expansions and started playing that. I watched that one too, albeit not as much. Now, fast forward to December 25th, 2012: I come downstairs to open my Christmas gifts, and I get an Xbox 360! :p I also got Halo Reach and AC3, but pfft, who cares about those? :p A few days later, my dad said he wanted to look for the next Elder Scrolls, Skyrim, while we were out buying another Xbox controller. Alas, it wasn't there at Target, so we got Assassin's Creed Revelations instead. A couple of months later, my dad went to the store and behold! There was Skyrim, on a Walmart shelf. He bought it, brought it home, and played for ssoooo long that evening. The next day I finally got a chance to play, and I was blown away!:eek:
Anyway, there's my long ranty post. :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts