How can I make my game-play more interesting?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
I got Skyrim last Christmas and I used to play it all the time, but for months now I have began to get extremely - well I won't say bored, but uninspired - by the game. I have a habit of creating new characters constantly, but I have recently tried to stick to one character. When I do this however, I just don't know where to take that character. I always think my characters through before creating them, I always create at least a rough back-story, and I always have a rough set of goals, but still I manage to get bored by the game.

For example, about a month ago I created a mage who I wanted to complete the College of Winterhold quest-line. (I had never actually got past the first mission with the College) I went through all of the quests until I reached the quest where you travel to
Labyrinthia
(not sure about the spelling) but half way through the quest I suddenly realised that I didn't know what I should do with the character after the whole story-line was complete and I lost all inspiration for that character.

I have heard about 'hard-core' role-playing and all of that, but I'm not so sure if it would take too much from the game. I am planning to give it a try, but for now has anyone got any ideas, builds or anything that I can try to make my game-play more exciting.

Lifts-Her-Tail

well you tried mods?

There are several threads that address this. Many suggest role-playing (only let your character do things that fit with the backstory. My current one uses no magic in any form, and cannot have a follower (unless required for a quest), setting various limitations (e.g. only allow three perk trees. Must finish before reaching level 20) or simply set very specific goals (fulfill all the citizen quests in Riften). Mix and match these ideas and you quickly get an unlimited set of playing experiences.

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
I play on PS3 at the moment, so sadly I can't get any mod. Eventually, when I have the money I am planning on buying a faster laptop and buy Skyrim on that so I can use mods, but until then I would like something to keep me occupied till then.

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
There are several threads that address this. Many suggest role-playing (only let your character do things that fit with the backstory. My current one uses no magic in any form, and cannot have a follower (unless required for a quest), setting various limitations (e.g. only allow three perk trees. Must finish before reaching level 20) or simply set very specific goals (fulfill all the citizen quests in Riften). Mix and match these ideas and you quickly get an unlimited set of playing experiences.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I have tried roleplaying before, but it quickly seems to either get too realistic, or just lacks something that will make me want to come back to the game. I actually have a plan to create and extremely simply character, e.g. a wood-chopper, but that is an experiment and I want some more ideas before I rush into making more characters.

Sharduroga

go out and explore. Quests are just a part of the game. But after a while you might need some new Skyrim content. I'm at level 44 and im starting to get bored myself. then again i have plans to up the difficulty to expert at 50 and master at 75. Do you have all the Dragon shouts yet?

Twiffle

get drunk then play it on master dual wield weapons.......:D

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
go out and explore. Quests are just a part of the game. But after a while you might need some new Skyrim content. I'm at level 44 and im starting to get bored myself. then again i have plans to up the difficulty to expert at 50 and master at 75. Do you have all the Dragon shouts yet?
I have only ever completed the main quest-line once actually, and even then it was on my very first play through where I wanted to cram in as much as I could and complete as much as I could. I regret to say that I barely got any of the dragon shouts. For some reason the main-quest didn't appeal to me as I didn't like being the most important person in the game. Maybe it was because it was never really noticed by the npc's which made it feel a bit less 'special' I'm not sure, but maybe I will complete the main quest-line again and pay attention to it. Thanks.

Baelor

I am having this same issue and ironically was about to post a very similar thread.

I am on PC and have modded my game heavily to add some immersion, but there is just so many times you can go through some of these quests.

Have you tried Dead is Dead? I think I am going to create a new character after I finally finish Dawnguard and play Dead is Dead.

He will be a Redguard mercenary criminal. I will do quests that pay well but aren't necessarily honorable. I will commit crimes if I can gain financially from it. If I am wanted by a holds guards I will never pay my bounty and live as a wanted criminal.

Any suggestions on how to add something to this play style?

@ the OP - have you considered a Dead is Dead playthrough?

Sharduroga

I have only ever completed the main quest-line once actually, and even then it was on my very first play through where I wanted to cram in as much as I could and complete as much as I could. I regret to say that I barely got any of the dragon shouts. For some reason the main-quest didn't appeal to me as I didn't like being the most important person in the game. Maybe it was because it was never really noticed by the npc's which made it feel a bit less 'special' I'm not sure, but maybe I will complete the main quest-line again and pay attention to it. Thanks.
no problem. Im gonna give u a list of questlines u can check out. I dont like the main questline that much either except for Skulldafn and the septimus signis parts. DEFINITLEY work on the 16 daedric quests. IF you replay the nightingale questline. DO NOT GET THE BUFFS. get the skeleton key dont return it. It is a reusable lockpick. The stupid buffs u get can be used if you have an illusion class, a stone buff and destruction class. Companions questline is fun. Theives guild. defintiley dark brotherhood. And i personall loved the mages college. ALl that stuff is fun fun. To be honest with you though my favorite thing is just to kill a dragon :D

Twiffle

one thing you could do is just walk city to city no fast travel and investigate everything. you be surprised what gems are out there, took me 11 hours of play time just to walk whiterun to solitude, levelled up 9 times and now ive got over 9k gold, and i havnt even started the MQ, companions or anything else

I
get drunk then play it on master dual wield weapons.......:D
I played as an alcoholic once. He had to drink any alcoholic beverages he found, and had to make buying them top priority. He never made it past Riverwood having sold all of his weapons and armor. He chops wood to make some gold but then just gets drunk, passes out an starts again the next day.

Twiffle

I
I played as an alcoholic once. He had to drink any alcoholic beverages he found, and had to make buying them top priority. He never made it past Riverwood having sold all of his weapons and armor. He chops wood to make some gold but then just gets drunk, passes out an starts again the next day.

i meant go out down the pub come home and give it a go lololol

Sharduroga

one thing you could do is just walk city to city no fast travel and investigate everything. you be surprised what gems are out there, took me 11 hours of play time just to walk whiterun to solitude, levelled up 9 times and now ive got over 9k gold, and i havnt even started the MQ, companions or anything else
Definitley a good idea. go into caves too you can find some books in there they will help u level up

TheQuietCommentatorUTube

Busy Being A Boss
Wow, I can really relate to this thread... I'm on a console, starting to get bored. I even got it at Christmas, and have been hooked since, just like Minstrel. I'm not hugely in to role-playing, but it can be fun. I love exploring!

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
Wow, I can really relate to this thread... I'm on a console, starting to get bored. I even got it at Christmas, and have been hooked since, just like Minstrel. I'm not hugely in to role-playing, but it can be fun. I love exploring!
No, you've misunderstood, I love role-playing, but eventually even that can get become boring when you don't know the right build to play and so on. I did try and purely exploring character as well who I might find and try to play again.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts